Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a quick search and scanned recent posts, so forgive me if I've got this wrong. I updated to r488 and then discovered I was having issues with my NAND Emulation. From what I gather this has been a problem since r455, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I tried removing everything but the boxcovers and covers to let it re-create everything, then went into the .ini and set all my directories to usb2, then the NAND to yes, partition 1, folder \nand\ (as per the wiiflowiki). I'm also using two partitions here, NAND is on first FAT32 and Wiiflow and games are on second FAT32 partition. When I started up Wiiflow again I tried to go into a game (PokePark 2) and I was told there wasn't a save, I could either extract or start with a new. I tried to extract, got the extracting screen and things seemed fine. Then the safety screen, followed by a black screen of never endingness. Just tried with PokePark 1, didn't get the option but had black screen also. Set my NAND to disabled, tried PokePark 2 and it loaded fine. I also noticed that, though the .ini pointed the NAND to \nand\, I still had folders created under \wiiflow\nandemu. I tried changing the .ini to follow that path but it didn't work. I also tried re-dumping my NAND to no love. I would try the r455 but I didn't see any pre-made and I'm about to go to work else I'd figure out how to change the rev I'm compiling. Save that for later.

Anyways, suggestions? I also noticed that I had a wiiflow\nandemu on my SD card, no idea why that should be. Thanks for taking the time to read through this.
I'll try to help.
went into the .ini and set all my directories to usb2, then the NAND to yes, partition 1, folder \nand\ (as per the wiiflowiki).
did you also set the game save NAND partition and folder path under [GAMES] like this -

[GAMES]
cheat=no
current_item=RL8E54
dump_list=no
last_cf_mode=1
lastlanguage=EN
partition=1
save_emulation=3
savepartition=1
savepath=/nand/
sort=0

When I started up Wiiflow again I tried to go into a game (PokePark 2) and I was told there wasn't a save, I could either extract or start with a new. I tried to extract, got the extracting screen and things seemed fine. Then the safety screen, followed by a black screen of never endingness.
This sometimes happens right after a save has been extracted - you should've turned the wii off and tried starting the game again. Or you need to go to the game's settings and set the game to ios 249 or 250 especially if you have followed the wiiflow wiki and installed ios 245 thru 251. for some reason NAND Emulation only works for me when i use ios 249 and Fix94 recommends only installing ios249 and 250.

Set my NAND to disabled, tried PokePark 2 and it loaded fine
that's because you were no longer using the emu nand - you were using the real save on the wii nand.

I also noticed that, though the .ini pointed the NAND to \nand\, I still had folders created under \wiiflow\nandemu.
/wiiflow/nandemu is the default folder path created by wiiflow when you don't have one set in the wiiflow.ini. I know you had it set under [NAND] but you may not have had it set under [GAMES]

Hope this helps.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dumping my nand with 488 and it keeps going back to the usb when I try to put it on sd. So I unplugged my usb and when I try installing it onto the sd it freaks out and freezes, music keeps playing.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dumping my nand with 488 and it keeps going back to the usb when I try to put it on sd. So I unplugged my usb and when I try installing it onto the sd it freaks out and freezes, music keeps playing.
I think nand dumping via wiiflow is broken. as far as i know Overjoy has yet to fix that. check with etheboss on that - he knows more than i do.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's a bit more complicated than that fledge, nand dumping works, but you have to be in nand flow.

Weird i know, but Overjoy seems to know what needs to be fixed. But as long as you dump a nand in nand flow first, it should be alright.
Or extract game saves from nand flow. After that it suddely is possible to extract saves from wii games flow too.

The nanddump itself seems to work correctly, althoug i have seen a few reports now that there is a problem with corrupted saves, but i think fix94 found that bug too..

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having the same problems with my nanddump as well and just been waiting for a rev to come out with the fix. Thanks fledge68, I will try this method to see if it works. And Thanks to Etheboss the the heads up.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's take a pole and end the decision on how to access the source menu. Your choices are:

1. 'A' on mode/view button icon. I will have to add a option to wiiflow.ini that you will have to set to yes because it will default to no. just like the d-pad option. of course if you set it to yes you will no longer be able to change view's the old/current way. but you will still be able to use the d-pad shortcuts.

2. 'B' on mode/view button icon. Same as #1 except you will no longer be able to switch from real nand to emu nand and back.

3. just pressing 'B' on wiimote. This might be a little tricky to code and might not be possible since the 'B' button is used for so many shortcuts already. you would definitely have to make sure you are not pointing at any buttons. Also I can see people trying to press 'B' on the star but missing and accidentally getting the source menu.

4. leave it where it is as 'B' on home/exit button icon.

I like #2 since I don't ever have any need to switch to real nand. I'll give you guys till Friday to announce your choice. Of course Fix94 and Overjoy have the final decision. If they want to leave it at #4 then that's where it stays.

Reactions: 1 person

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
My preferred choice is #1 if not then the winner goes to #2 for my vote.

Ok after some of Maxternal's comments and some more thinking I have decided I will Vote for method #3 as well; "B" of course would naturally be the way to back out of the menu. If not then method #2 is my second choice.

I hope in the future maybe we can have an option to have the source menu in coverflow fashion and we could still use the icons created by everyone on the covers as a simple fix ;)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I already voted #3 on the other thread but I'll summarize my argument's here.

#1 you need to make the mode icon stuck on the channels icon since it looks most like the source menu.
#2 If you also move the real/emu NAND switch over to the home icon button you will not loose functionality.
#3 If getting back out of the source menu were just a matter of hitting again it wouldn't be such a big deal.
#4 If it's gonna be an INI option anyhow, this one would still be available.

More specifically, I vote #2 as a permanent change and #3 as an INI option assuming that the above steps are also taken.

EDIT : It would be nice if they could all have their own INI option but I know that's a lot of work.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well my vote was always for A BUTTON on the HOME icon.. but have it as an option to set in the wiiflow.ini ....

if this cant be done.. then i vote for #4... leave it as B BUTTON on the HOME icon...

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
Trophies
XP
Country
http://soundcloud.com/spacepimp/sets/wiiflow-forwarder-mod-audio
Choice of two!
An animation plays when you click on the wiiflow (forwarder) channel on your wii, the default music could be described as eurotrance. Here are some alternatives for the music, based on samples taken directly from a wii running wiiflow.
Loose 4 is based on an the break in James Brown's "give it up or turn it loose", heavily edited for brevity. I've cheated slightly and to expand the pallatte of 2 sounds I've reversed one and have another instance of it at a slightly different pitch. To install the channel use this wad http://www.mediafire...kbagmbd602pc499
Wiiflow 5th is an audio pun - the sound of the wiiflow interface morphs into snap's " i got the power " Now even less irritating! The wad:
http://www.mediafire...549e5c2r3583p94
n.b. these wads have the same title id as Fix's original default forwarder v 12. DWFA

***These wads are Identical to Fix's except for the sounds! (thanks maxternal!)

General praising and such is welcome here, as, i suppose, damnations and castigations must be too. Comments and suggestions of all flavours here, then.
Comments on the actual function of the sound. - ie. is it irritating? is it funny, how could it be done better, differently? are particularly welcome.

Please offer your donations, offers of work, thanks, proposals, both marriage and indecent, and requests for noises via PM. :)

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's take a pole and end the decision on how to access the source menu. Your choices are:

1. 'A' on mode/view button icon. I will have to add a option to wiiflow.ini that you will have to set to yes because it will default to no. just like the d-pad option. of course if you set it to yes you will no longer be able to change view's the old/current way. but you will still be able to use the d-pad shortcuts.

2. 'B' on mode/view button icon. Same as #1 except you will no longer be able to switch from real nand to emu nand and back.

3. just pressing 'B' on wiimote. This might be a little tricky to code and might not be possible since the 'B' button is used for so many shortcuts already. you would definitely have to make sure you are not pointing at any buttons. Also I can see people trying to press 'B' on the star but missing and accidentally getting the source menu.

I like #2 since I don't ever have any need to switch to real nand. I'll give you guys till Friday to announce your choice. Of course Fix94 and Overjoy have the final decision. If they want to leave it at #4 then that's where it stays.
Just wanted to say applaud Fledge for resolving to open up a much needed discussion. A number of people have noted that you've posted this in a couple of places and I was wondering, now you've taken the initiative on opening a poll, where you think posters will be best heard on this question?
Here, on Let's Make WiiFlow Delicious, Sugar or on the http://gbatemp.net/t...ons-in-wiiflow/ poll I've started? (do I need to take that down, it's not quite the same discussion? People have already voted!) I must admit i didn't realise your earlier post would induce this debate. That people are discussing the ideas in 2 forums rather than simply click on a predefined option is simply brilliant. Perhaps once discussing their thoughts, members could formalise their vote on the poll? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I'd also like to join Massive Rican and encourage voters to read Maxternal's thoughts on the matter. I personally think B should open the source menu because that's the most intuitive use for it, but I've detailed why i think that's important here. http://code.google.c...es/detail?id=75
The following issue, Issue 76, is a feature request for a sourceflow (sources represented by 3d covers or boxes in a coverflow). As the time on the forum is high, I would suggest anyone who thinks a sourceflow is a good idea, say so now.
Thanks again, Fledge,
sp

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
Trophies
XP
Country
The sound's are catchy ... at least to my taste. We'll have to see what the channels look like.
Hey Maxternal, thanks for digging the tunes, daddio. I spent an embarrassing amount of time getting them to work.
These are identical to FIX's forwarder channel, except for the sound. EDIT:Can anyone post a video of this? I couldn't find one. :(
If anyone'd like to animate a wiimote doing the running man, please get in touch.

Manhugs (non gender-specific hugs were appropriate)

mastershoes

GameTDB Mod & Retro Cover Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 2 people

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I vote #4

Gassy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

#3 makes the most sense to me. In my opinion, nothing should be 'pressing some button while on another button'. Reloading the cache should probably be an option on the config menu, b should be the source menu. The button that allows you to cycle through USB/NAND/etc could probably be removed because I think it's function could be replaced in the source menu. Or change it to a categories button, if anyone still uses those.
Gassy

Reactions: 2 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
#4 makes the most sense to me. In my opinion, nothing should be 'pressing some button while on another button'. Reloading the cache should probably be an option on the config menu, b should be the source menu.
Actually, that would be option #3 since #4 IS 'pressing some button while on another button' ;)

The button that allows you to cycle through USB/NAND/etc could probably be removed because I think it's function could be replaced in the source menu. Or change it to a categories button, if anyone still uses those.
If you like, I think that button can actually be removed with an option in wiiflow.ini. Just change hideviews=no to hideviews=yes under the [GENERAL] section if I'm remembering correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @rqkaiju2, happy early birthday