hillcow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,

I bought this cheap Wii2Hdmi adapter to connect my Wii through my Onkyo TX-NR7100 AV receiver to my TV:

1718888884012.png

In the system menu and in games started through the system menu, there is a little bit of black bars around the picture. It just would need to be scaled a little bit further.

In usb loader gx and games started through usb loader gx the black bars are a little smaller, but still present. Also, here the picture is not in the middle of the screen, but a bit further to the left.

I already tried different settings of my tv (aspect ratio) and receiver (not a lot of options here).

In another thread here @MrCokeacola mentioned that this is a common problem of cheap Wii2Hdmi converters. What would be another, more "premium" option? On Amazon it looks like all the Wii2Hdmi adapters are pretty much the same, just with different logos.

On another note, maybe this is related: my setup can't handle SNES Virtual Console games. I get a black screen when starting the game. After pressing home on the Wii remote, after a few seconds the home menu appears and here I can see the game in the background. But it's gone as soon as I exit the Wii menu and go back ingame.

Thanks!

Last edited by hillcow,

AlamosIT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you can't fix it by selecting the correct video mode on Wii or adjusting input settings on your TV (usually there is an option to "fill" the screen named "full screen" or similar), you can try this adapter (it could be available also on your local Amazon).

Reactions: hillcow

hillcow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you can't fix it by selecting the correct video mode on Wii or adjusting input settings on your TV (usually there is an option to "fill" the screen named "full screen" or similar), you can try this adapter (it could be available also on your local Amazon).
Found it on my local Amazon and bought it. Will get back to you once it arrives. Thanks!

Reactions: AlamosIT

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is not a problem with the adapter, but the way your TV/Monitor upscales 480p resolution.

Also, depends a lot in what the Wii is currently displaying.

For instance, I have a 50" 4K TV and two SAMSUNG 19.5" and 18" Monitors.
My Wii can't fill in the 50" and 18", but will fill the 19.5". I know, it's weird.

Some WiiWare games will appear with black borders, some don't. Some Wii games will display full screen if 16:9 is set in the Wii's options and some won't. Some games fill the screen when 4:3 is selected, some won't.

RetroArch Wii can fill in the 19.5" screen with Custom Resolution settings, but will display a black border of at least ½inch with Custom Resolution in 4K TV and 18".

Not64 fills the entire screen, so does SNES9X and FCEUGX, but Virtual Console won't.

If you want a proper solution, get an upscaler like a Framemeister.

Last edited by JuanMena,

hillcow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@AlamosIT

The new adapter came. The original Wii menu as well as the loader gx menu is slightly larger. However, ingame is pretty much the same. So unfortunately, the more expensive adapter didn't help here.

Also, it doesn't matter whether I go through the Onkyo avr or directly to the TV. Result is the same.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most of the cheap wii2hdmi dongles are just adapters. They physically “adapt” the connection to HDMI. This single would do nothing else, but give you the proper port for hdmi connection. I bought one, and I can tell no difference in video quality. The one I bought is the one in the middle of the thumbnail.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think most of the cheap wii2hdmi dongles are just adapters. They physically “adapt” the connection to HDMI. This single would do nothing else, but give you the proper port for hdmi connection. I bought one, and I can tell no difference in video quality. The one I bought is the one in the middle of the thumbnail.
It's not an adapter, since Wii's signal is Analog and HDMI is exclusively Digital.
One can't simply adapt Analog to Digital, it must be converted.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have bought Like 6 of these wiitohdmi adapters some white some black and some of them have no picture when loading Virtual Console games using usb loader gx and wiiflow and the adapters look exactly alike.
Untitled.jpg

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, most of them are just clones of one another and suck. Watch the video I posted above, as all the ones that produce white speckles in the image are clones. It's one of the gray ones that has a nearly perfect image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    chrisrlink @ chrisrlink: lol +1