Hacking Wii-U's Wii mode already hacked

AgentChet

Trunks, The Man.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a crazy idea. But what if you could run USB Loader GX, then insert a Wii U game disc (Nintendo Land, etc..)
If USB Loader GX team could get it to recognize the disc, then people could start dumping the Wii U discs. Then Developers/hackers, could start working on a way to use that. Yes?
For Backup purposes of course. :) Cause I sure wouldn't be willing to pay another $60 out of my pocket just because my lil bro scratches the Disc. Can I get an Amen?!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Wii's security consisted of a "No Trespassing" sign.
Kind of unrelated but reminds me of this:
110427.jpg

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
@bsmjlm

That would be too good to be true, but its Nintendo we are talking about, leaving both Wii/DS modes hackable is pretty stupid.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if WiiU emulator shows up before a 3DS emulator.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@bsmjlm

That would be too good to be true, but its Nintendo we are talking about, leaving both Wii/DS modes hackable is pretty stupid.

Like all those PS3 and Xbox360 emulators that emerged because the systems were hacked?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a crazy idea. But what if you could run USB Loader GX, then insert a Wii U game disc (Nintendo Land, etc..)
If USB Loader GX team could get it to recognize the disc, then people could start dumping the Wii U discs. Then Developers/hackers, could start working on a way to use that. Yes?
For Backup purposes of course. :) Cause I sure wouldn't be willing to pay another $60 out of my pocket just because my lil bro scratches the Disc. Can I get an Amen?!
A. They're probably encrypted.
B. There'd be no way of launching them (historically, their backwards compatibility modes dumb the hardware down entirely; the Wii U will be no different).

@bsmjlm

I think securing Wii mode on the Wii U would have been difficult for backwards compatibility. If it's sandboxed, then I can see why they'd rather let it stay hacked than spend a fortune on trying. After all, the 3DS has been successful in remaining secure for a long time despite DS mode being hacked from day 1. Don't be surprised if Nintendo has learned a thing or two since watching helplessly whilst their previous consoles got severely raped by the hacking scene.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sorry, Been out of the GameCube on Wii scene for a short while and forgot that there was one person working on Devolution. With that said, if it wasnt for the AP, at the least, the verification of games via disc drive would be eliminated. Maybe tueidj could switch verification to the UPC code on the box art or maybe typing in some of the info on the bottom of a pressed GameCube disc. -just saying...
I remember "just saying"something to you on a couple occasions:

The homebrew scene isn't a company and you're not its president.

You probably have missed it, but I know there's a seventy-page thread with people whining about the AP of devolution floating around (at one point, it was even longer than the thread about devolution itself). Next time, at least TRY to read up on things before you make these sort of "just saying" remarks. It's embarrassing.

The Wii's security consisted of a "No Trespassing" sign.

There was? :blink:

I couldn't resist.

BloodShed

Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I'm curious if there's a software design limitation that's keeping Nintendo from implementing better managed code that could stop this type of exploit. Although, it's likely that they threw the Wii support together as fast as possible and they don't even care to try and lock it down.

Also, I could not finish that video. That guy has got to be the most annoying person I've ever heard in my life.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember "just saying"something to you on a couple occasions:

The homebrew scene isn't a company and you're not its president.

You probably have missed it, but I know there's a seventy-page thread with people whining about the AP of devolution floating around (at one point, it was even longer than the thread about devolution itself). Next time, at least TRY to read up on things before you make these sort of "just saying" remarks. It's embarrassing.

There was? :blink:

I couldn't resist.

Excuse me if I dare to think outside the box on what's possible with Wii Homebrew. And if you don't like me giving suggestions then frak off! I frankly could care less of what you think. When people don't share thoughts, innovation does not happen. It's called human progress and I will not sit back and let people try to burn me because, members of this forum have sticks so far up their ass and are so clique-ish about their friendships with certain programmers. I will continue to give my two cents as long as this forum is here.

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I´m not really into this stuff, I guess you can call me a semi-noob when it comes to hacking.
But I remember when I made a post in a thread a loong time ago, speculating about USB-loading of GC-games on the Wii. And I got absolutely hammered by certain people on this board. Apparently, that was never going to happen...according to them.

On topic. I hope that Nintendo have mustered up their hacking defense and that the Wii U remains unhackable. Mostly because all the hacking and exploiting is harming the business a lot.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I´m not really into this stuff, I guess you can call me a semi-noob when it comes to hacking.
But I remember when I made a post in a thread a loong time ago, speculating about USB-loading of GC-games on the Wii. And I got absolutely hammered by certain people on this board. Apparently, that was never going to happen...according to them.

On topic. I hope that Nintendo have mustered up their hacking defense and that the Wii U remains unhackable. Mostly because all the hacking and exploiting is harming the business a lot.

Please tell me you're kidding. Right?! :rofl2:

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason I wasn't gonna buy a WiiU was cause I have my Wii and all it's USB-Loading and Emulator Glory, but if they can get both of those working, there will be a WiiU entering my house (and a large dent in my pocket :unsure: )

Honestly thats kind of why I would think it would be smart of Nintendo to leave the Wii mode exploitable and focus on making the Wii U mode absolutely secure. How many more Wii games to they plan to develop and sell anyway and the Wii itself has been hacked for a long time. Really what difference would it make to leave the Wii mode hackable and insecure as long as the Wii U mode is completely secure.

Many people who would otherwise not bother with a Wii U for a long time if ever will jump on the bandwagon if they can use it to replace their hacked Wii's and have netflix in HD etc.... This will increase the install base and as long as Wii U mode is secure I'm sure some of those folks will get sucked in and buy a game here or there.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Please tell me you're kidding. Right?! :rofl2:
I hope he is.

First off, exploits and hacking doesn't hurt business. If anything, it improves it. Many of my friends bought their Wii because of the homebrew scene (and I'm sure lots of people on this board bought wiis for the same reason).

Piracy is what hurts business. I'm sure some would be happy to argue that though.

The only thing I want to stay unhacked is online play. Getting dusted by someone who finished instantly in MK is aggravating to say the least.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Has anyone tried using ModMii's abstinence wizard on this? Running NEEK on a Wii U through Casper and then getting AHBPROT from a forwarder channel might just work. From there, access to the rest might not be that hard.

Also, can't DOP-Mii patch IOS36 without having to have AHBPROT or an already patched IOS?
(Just a thought)

- - -

Although this might belong better in the hacking theories thready ... :ph34r:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: