Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
are you kidding me? the y cable is not only recommended everywhere! it is mandatory! get it or get out!

I used the very same hdd on my old wii with a normal cable and it worked lol. Ive ordered a Y cable off ebay but not without trying to find one locally. Ive got another 2.5 external hdd that Im going to use on my daughters wiiu once Ive got this pone up and running. I'll just install a back up to the sd card ive got and try it out.

Kladde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
move or install?
move : if you already have games installed on your console, plug a USB HDD, format it to WiiU format, then go to settings>Data management>move/copy game to USB.

install : Start moving/copying the data (savegame and DLC) to USB, then follow the game install tutorial and choose install to USB.
I have some games on sd and on my computer. What I understood from the guide is that i need to use some homebrew to get the games from sd to usb. With this I will not need to start look loadiine every time. Or am I wrong?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can't move the Loadiine format game from SD to USB.
You need encrypted games on SD, while loadiine is using a decrypted format.

The method used to install games to system memory or USB HDD requires encrypted games, it's the format provided by eShop (Nintendo Update Server, more commonly named NUS).

If you downloaded "loadiine ready" games, then you might not know about that format.
but if you are used to decrypt the game files yourself to get loadiine format, then you already own or know which file you need to install the game to the console or HDD.
eshop or disc dump -> app/h3/title.tmd/title.tik --> install to console/USB, or extract to SD for loadiine.
it's explained in the tutorial.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Kladde

carlosraf20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone help me. I installed Lego Jurassic, but it didn't work. I tried delete the game through wii u, but didn't work. There is another manner to delete the game?

Did you find answer for this ?

I was able to install captain toad and also the update and It was working fine. but after I install a few more games, now when I try open the game it displays error 199-9999. I have to turn off the console. I try delete the info in the USB but it wont let me delete the update. just the game data and info.

Last edited by carlosraf20,

mikuheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if its been asked already, i did a search but nothing came up.

Is there any loading time/issues with running games off a USB drive vs an HDD? A USB drive would be cheaper for me to get...but if theres any disadvantages vs an HDD (apart from capacity) i'll just go with the better option.

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
USB drive is not as fast in general and wear out effect on flash memory, which results in failing data loading than from HDD over time.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there anyway of playing back ups off the sd card? Its just that I installed some back ups to my sd card via wiiu usb helper, I thought the back ups on my SD card would have appeared on the wii u system menu screen but none of the back ups i had on my sd card showed up, however, I was able to go into wup installer and install the back ups to my external hard drive which is now connected to my wiiu via a usb Y USB Y cable :)

Any help with this will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited by TudorBlue,

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to be clear, is it possible to install games to the internal memory of the Wii U, or only to an attached USB drive?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway of playing back ups off the sd card? Its just that I installed some back ups to my sd card via wiiu usb helper, I thought the back ups on my SD card would have appeared on the wii u system menu screen but none of the back ups i had on my sd card showed up, however, I was able to go into wup installer and install the back ups to my external hard drive which is now connected to my wiiu via a usb Y USB Y cable :)
You can play an extracted game (code/content/meta directories) from SD using loadiine, but you can't do a real install of a game onto the SD card. Only games which have actually been installed will appear on your normal menu.

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slightly off topic this one but my daughter has a wiiu with Mario Kart 8 preinstalled on it, can I just use the USB helper to install the DLC? Also, would she be able to play it as normal if I mod her Wii (haxchi)?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you install unpaid DLC, you'll need the signature check patch to launch the game.
if you install only haxchi, you'll need to run haxchi before launching a game containing unpaid DLC, so it's not really "as normal" as you'd want.
instead, you should install CBHC which will run haxchi silently at console boot, so you have the signature check patched right away and now you can play your games "as normal".

Fraudelefix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Hello,

I'm new to Wii U emulation (Cemu) and I came across this Topic.
I've come across a lot of topics regarding Mario Kart 8 but they were old enought and I couldn't find something newer. Every topic said that if you want to play Mario Kart 8 DLC, you have to replace exiting tracks by the DLC's.
Can this method "solve" the problem, ie being able to select any tacks on the screen without "replacing" standar by DLC's ?
If not is there a way or still not?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,I'm new to Wii U emulation (Cemu) and I came across this Topic.
I've come across a lot of topics regarding Mario Kart 8 but they were old enought and I couldn't find something newer. Every topic said that if you want to play Mario Kart 8 DLC, you have to replace exiting tracks by the DLC's.
Can this method "solve" the problem, ie being able to select any tacks on the screen without "replacing" standar by DLC's ?
If not is there a way or still not?
That's still entirely up to CEMU.

Rovest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious if... There is a character limit to the Wii u installation process that is unable to "install" from folders with The © or ® or ™ that might be next to names like... the Lego games, Spiderman games, Snoopy, Peanuts, Batman, etc games...

Perhaps there might be room for improvement with the way WiiU USB Helper creates and saves folders with those icon/trademark emblems? To.. maybe Not use them in the title of a folder?

Just mentioning it because dling One or two of these games with WiiU usb helper, they wont install, Dling the lego game and spiderman game with uTikdownload, they installed fine.

Perhaps someone else can investigate?

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if you install unpaid DLC, you'll need the signature check patch to launch the game.
if you install only haxchi, you'll need to run haxchi before launching a game containing unpaid DLC, so it's not really "as normal" as you'd want.
instead, you should install CBHC which will run haxchi silently at console boot, so you have the signature check patched right away and now you can play your games "as normal".
So the best option is to softmod it with Haxchi after all? Not really an issue tbh. I can do it

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps there might be room for improvement with the way WiiU USB Helper creates and saves folders with those icon/trademark emblems? To.. maybe Not use them in the title of a folder?
If you copy the WiiU USB Helper files yourself, removing the characters becomes your responsibility. I don't agree with the design choice, but at least it's specified right in the OP of the WiiU USB Helper thread.

Important notice

Please always use the app's built-in copy feature which will automatically remove special characters from the path which would otherwise result in a "install of title 00000000-00000000 failed" error!

Please try to post in the app's thread if the post is related to a specific app. (Saves people from having to answer the same question in multiple threads)

Last edited by nexusmtz,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So the best option is to softmod it with Haxchi after all? Not really an issue tbh. I can do it

no, the best solution is to softmod it with CBHC.
it's haxchi, but applied at console boot.

if you install haxchi, you need to manually launch it before launching the game.
if you install CBHC, you just launch the game.

I recommend reading the FAQ stickied in this forum section to learn their differences and how to use them.

Last edited by Cyan,

Rovest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you copy the WiiU USB Helper files yourself, removing the characters becomes your responsibility. I don't agree with the design choice, but at least it's specified right in the OP of the WiiU USB Helper thread.

Please try to post in the app's thread if the post is related to a specific app. (Saves people from having to answer the same question in multiple threads)

Thought I'd mention something I noticed, Happy to finally beat Lego hobbit since my niece wrecked the disc last year.

Sorry i didn't read the info on the front page of that post. I literally just logged in to this account after years of inactivity to try to be helpful.

Reactions: nexusmtz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol