Hacking Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this only applicable for people waiting for WII U ISO loading? I will only be ever interested in WII ISO loading, can I skip the big "Stay lower than 5.2.0" and update for the sake of Smash?

This has nothing to do with piracy, this is strictly for game mods and homebrew. Emulators, Project M for Smash 4, etc.

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, so I take it as this WIP exploit to be released for 5.1.0 FW is only meant to allow the things you say in the future but it has nothing to do with HC running and loading of USB-loaders for Wii?

If so, then why cannot emulators or such be ran in the current state of the hacking (Return of the Jodi etc)?

Or can you enlighten me more please on this exploit, will it be useful for hacking "Wii U mode"?
yes, it's irrelevant to the vWii and homebrew channel, you can update as you please if that's all you care about (see the first FAQ question on the first post in this thread). As for Wii U mode, that's exactly what it sounds like - what's running when you boot it up before you go into vWii (virtual wii, it's sandboxed so you have the exact same specs as a normal wii so nothing goes wrong), and yes, you can still run basically anything from the homebrew channel, but you won't have the full processing power that the Wii U has since it's locked down, which is the main appeal of upgrading to a Wii U from a Wii.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously it's killing me. Forced to update to 5.2.0 for smash and I hope we aren't screwed
Yeah, I'm on 5.2.0 as well, no way am I going to 5.3.0 (screw Amiibo). still, I hope someone can clear the confusion. Perhaps NWPlayer123 or Marionumber1 can...?

They told us not to update to 5.3.0, I'm pretty sure, but...ugh....

Akdul

Trophies
Website
raulbojalil.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, I'm on 5.2.0 as well, no way am I going to 5.3.0 (screw Amiibo). still, I hope someone can clear the confusion. Perhaps NWPlayer123 or Marionumber1 can...?

They told us not to update to 5.3.0, I'm pretty sure, but...ugh....

NWPlayer has already answered that here.

As for me, I'm going to stay on 4.1, since I can play smash at my cousin's house.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NWPlayer has already answered that here.

As for me, I'm going to stay on 4.1, since I can play smash at my cousin's house.

Well shit, that's it then, we're screwed. Why the hell did they say "if you're on 5.2.0 ,don't go to 5.3.0"? Damn, damn, double damn. Well, might as well give up while the getting's good. Yep, those on 5.1.2 and 5.2.0 are SOL. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Akdul

Trophies
Website
raulbojalil.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Well shit, that's it then, we're screwed. Why the hell did they say "if you're on 5.2.0 ,don't go to 5.3.0"? Damn, damn, double damn. Well, might as well give up while the getting's good. Yep, those on 5.1.2 and 5.2.0 are SOL. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Well, NWPlayer said that you are fine on 5.2.0, it's just that it's going to take a while to make it work for that version. MN1 mentioned that developing their userland exploit was time consuming.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, NWPlayer said that you are fine on 5.2.0, it's just that it's going to take a while to make it work for that version. MN1 mentioned that developing their userland exploit was time consuming.

I hope so, I really do....

Edit:

The entryway was completely patched in 5.3.0 so 5.2.0 SHOULD be safe

This quote was in the 5.3.0 thread

Be sure to disable all internet connection settings and don't let any children near your Wii U, they might update it.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entryway was completely patched in 5.3.0 so 5.2.0 SHOULD be safe

This quote was in the 5.3.0 thread
This update fixes a known bug in the function OSDriver:CopyToSaveArea in the coreinit library, thus closing a hole many people were using to develop kernel exploits. Updating will make you lose your ability to run homebrew in the future.

Have fun, those who haven't! <3

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, most of the time was spent finding a usable bug to exploit, once we have some place to start it's rather easy to make it work the way you want it to.
As for versions, even though that one guy said that the one part of the kernel exploit was fixed, there's no evidence that that's actually the case. HOWEVER, until we know for sure I'd avoid 5.3.0, as has been said before. I'd hate to have anyone update and then have to wait for this whole process to happen again. But yeah, 5.2.0 at least seems fine to be on.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, most of the time was spent finding a usable bug to exploit, once we have some place to start it's rather easy to make it work the way you want it to.
As for versions, even though that one guy said that the one part of the kernel exploit was fixed, there's no evidence that that's actually the case. HOWEVER, until we know for sure I'd avoid 5.3.0, as has been said before. I'd hate to have anyone update and then have to wait for this whole process to happen again. But yeah, 5.2.0 at least seems fine to be on.

Such good news.

Thankfully Nintendo shipped smash with the last (known) working firmware. Arn't we all lucky?

Mewtwo:cry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work