Hacking Wii U Homebrew History and News ?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 19,153
  • Replies 89

nonameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the Wii U isn't hackable and it's just an excuse from f0f saying there is no Motivation. that's what I think please dont facepunch me lol

D

Deleted User

OP
How did base frameworks for other hacked systems get off the ground ?

They don't. PS3/XBX homebrew is pretty much non-existent. Any sort of brew on those systems is pretty much backup loaders/online activators/ID spoofers.

The Wii flourished due to it being pretty much a fancier GC. Systems back then pretty much had no security whatsoever. The security of CPU's today is much greater.

A s far as the framework in porting linux, it's in this very forum. The tri-core linux thread.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-tri-core-linux.351024/

But it seems to have pretty much sputtered out. There's more than just f0f who have access to the exploits. I don't doubt their work since other groups have dumped bootroms and their MD5's match. I wouldn't really expect anything from f0f unless somone steps up and gets the ball rolling. The last time they dumped a bunch of exploit and key information, they got in a pretty bad legal mess.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cant teach COMMON SENSE

Well there's also the possibility of adding people to ignore lists :creep: You can't teach that, no, but adding people to that list works every time. You know, since we can never seem to reach any sort of agreement and the fact that the Wii U hacking scene is pretty silent for now.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Wii U isn't hackable and it's just an excuse from f0f saying there is no Motivation. that's what I think please dont facepunch me lol

Actually, if you had a clue about what you were talking about, you'd know that fail0verflow did hack the Wii U but didn't have the motivation to turn it into something usable for homebrew.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

OP
One thing I don't get is why f0f isn't interested in the hacking the Wii U.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather have someone else, who's dependable, hack the console.
i keep staring at that word, trying to put myself in your shoes, and pondering my experiences and time in the console hacking scene, and i swear to god, i just cannot for the life of me understand what you are trying to say there.

did f0f forget to pick you up after soccer practice one day? leaving you cold, alone and shivering in the rain?

show us on the doll where f0f touched you, t_r.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i keep staring at that word, trying to put myself in your shoes, and pondering my experiences and time in the console hacking scene, and i swear to god, i just cannot for the life of me understand what you are trying to say there.

did f0f forget to pick you up after soccer practice one day? leaving you cold, alone and shivering in the rain?

show us on the doll where f0f touched you, t_r.

Even I don't know what the hell I was trying to say or why. You're better off not trying to understand, trust me.

D

Deleted User

OP
WHY CAN'T I REPLY TO ANYONES POSTS !!!

anyway, so f0f just isn't interested but they can't be the only ones who can hack the Wii U.
Why isn't anyone else trying to hack it ?

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For what? Allowing people to pirate games for free? cauz life's so hard for someone to get a regular job? to get a regular money? Then buying a ORIGINAL games?
LMFAO

Accept my advice, just stop playing games :)

optikalsaint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much anything that would have been interesting to a homebrew developer can be accomplished using the vWii exploits. The only reason there would any motivation for any Wii U hackers to release an exploit would be for the sake of piracy. I know there will be a lot of people that will go on with the tried and not-true argument of wanting to "backup their games" but in reality we all know the truth - you want to pirate games. Yes, you might think it is your right to backup games, but in reality it is not. It sucks but it is the truth. If you are worried about "backing up" your collection, well then do the smart thing and buy PC games or buy a system where you can buy digital games and it is tied to your account and not your hardware. That is your only viable solution to getting to your goal of backing up the item you paid for.

Now that being said, as a developer, my honest opinion is that the only thing that can save the Wii U at the moment is some form of backup loader and piracy. The Wii U, as a platform, is pretty much dead. Sure there are a handful (literally) of games users will want to buy coming out like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, maybe a new Legend of Zelda Game, or a new Animal Crossing but lets face facts - even if all of those games came out it would take another 2-3 years to get all of them and there isn't anything else coming in the mean time that is going to make people want to go out and buy consoles to finally pass that incredibly low 10m units sold number.

When Sega finally gave the EoL (end of life) sentence to the Dreamcast it had sold millions more than the Wii U did in a shorter timeframe. There just is not a viable ecosystem at the moment to financially support Nintendo in this endeavor. Developers are losing incredible amounts of money developing for the Wii U, and that is even after Nintendo pays them money up front to bring titles to their platform. Nintendo is hemorrhaging money at such a rate it's a surprise their board of directors haven't fired all all the higher ups months ago and moved in a different direction.

Sure you can make the argument that piracy hurts developers and that its bad, but as a developer that has made an incredibly comfortable living for themselves in the past 20 years, I can tell you first hand that some of my most financially viable projects have come from piracy. Whenever I have a project that I spend 400+ hours on that isn't selling well in 6-12 months I usually throw it up on a torrent site or warez/nulled script forum and sales jump. Piracy isn't always as horrible as people try to make you think it is. A lot of time it brings your projects to the minds of people that never would have bought your project beforehand. Example - look at Adobe Photoshop. Do you really think it would be as popular as it was if up and coming designers/developers could afford $1500+ to buy a license? Sure piracy can hurt developers when there is a viable market to sell their product and no one buys it. Its is incredibly frustrating when that scenario arises. You know what hurts more though? Spending millions of dollars to develop a product that no one is buying at all. One bad project like that could completely ruin a smaller developer studio.

At the moment the Wii U has close to zero third party support. It has been on the market for over a year and has sold a laughable amount of systems. Third party developers are passing on the system left and right. Those do not pass on the system aren't making their money back either. When we actually do get a new game for the Wii U, it is in most cases a slim comparison of what the game is for the PS3 or XBOX 360 than it is for the current gen systems. There is zero chance there is anything Nintendo can do to save their system at the moment. If they expect to make any sort of profit they need to push more system and games. They can't do that if there is zero interest in their system (and yes, 6-7m consoles in close to a 2 year time frame is zero interest).

Yes piracy is bad if there is a customer base to support developers making a living but when there is not a market for your product and you already spent millions upon millions of dollars on a product that you realistically cannot get back or make a profit on - wouldn't you at least like people to use your product? The Wii U falls into the niche category. It is a fun system with some cute/neat features but the market isn't there. Right now f0f and the other groups would be helping Nintendo if they released a USB loader or exploit. If they don't then why would anyone honestly buy a Wii U? Who wants to spend close to $300 on a system where they only get one worthwhile game a year to buy? Do you really think Nintendo wouldn't have patched or fixed the vWii vulnerabilities long ago if there was a real market for the Wii U? They might be horribly managed at the moment but they are not stupid. They know full well that a lot of the consoles they were able to sell is because the backwards compatible Wii OS is still easily hackable.

I might get a lot of flack for that statement and a lot of you might disagree, but honestly unless you are making a living and feeding a family based on how many copies of a piece of product you made, and got in front of eyeballs of potential buyers, well then your moral opinion is invalid. Sometimes piracy can save an industry by making more people aware of a products existence.

There is a reason tons of people still love the Dreamcast even though Sega abandoned it back when I was a teenager. Just a little food for thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.