Hacking Wii U Homebrew History and News ?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 19,151
  • Replies 89
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi, First Post here.

I've been wondering for a while on what (little ?) progress has been done for Nintendo Wii U homebrew (not vWii). Also if there is a site, facebook page, ect. for latest Wii U homebrew News ?

D

Deleted User

OP
None. Most people who can hack it gave up on the system. I think the last time there was news of even hacking the U was wiiKey, and even they themselves said it isn't worth the effort.

There's a thread on the tri-core linux using the glitch, not sure if it really made any huge strides. So far it's only vWii mods.

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None. Most people who can hack it gave up on the system. I think the last time there was news of even hacking the U was wiiKey, and even they themselves said it isn't worth the effort.

There's a thread on the tri-core linux using the glitch, not sure if it really made any huge strides. So far it's only vWii mods.

That's really sad. I'm hoping to eventually someday see a Project M based on Smash Bros Wii U. :(

D

Deleted User

OP
Isn't worth the effort because of not enough Wii U users ?
When did they say that ? There is currently around 3,500,000 Wii Us sold and sure hardly any homebrews but how many exactly is "worth an effort" to homebrew for ?

D

Deleted User

OP
The f0f post has most of the information. https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

It's not so much the userbase, but the lack of the system features itself. Since there's no direct access to the gamepad, it's basically a glorified Wii with no GC backwards compatibility. Most Wii homebrew runs fine in vWii or does with minor changes. If there was a way to use the gamepad as a controller for emulators and such, I could see there being more interest. Basically for any homebrew to get done on the WiiU, people would have to build a homebrew set of libraries and compilers to get it off the ground. It's a lot of work, and like they said at the end of the day, most people just want a warez loader. There will never be a public exploit until someone/group is able to create a set of libraries for homebrew and the like. Releasing any exploit at this point would just allow Nintendo to close it in the next firmware update and everyone would be back to square one.

All in all, it's the same situation as the Vita.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I find it hard to believe the wii u is going to be the first un-hackable console released. And I highly doubt some idiot has the process all laid out and is refusing to release it because "there is no point".

D

Deleted User

OP
You probably won't see a public release of any hack, at least from not f0f. Though I don't blame them, the last time they released the PS3 keys, it got them in a legal mess. Though moving forward, console companies aren't going to make the same stupid mistakes they have before with security. PS3 has been pretty locked down since 3.55 OFW and 360 has relied on HW modifications to run any sort of unsigned code. There's a whole lot of reverse-engineering that needs to go on to even begin building the homebrew base. What's worse is we/they don't know if there's any brick protections so some would be working blind.

I'm pretty sure nobody has the process all laid out. As they stated, there isn't even a base framework yet for the WiiU libraries needed to get homebrew running. I'm sure HBC would need to be re-written for the WiiU too. I wouldn't expect 1-2 people to bootstrap the entire thing, I believe that's why they put it out there to get the linux ported to the WiiU, but so far, there's been very little interest in it beyond a few people. Best thing is to get involved in the project and contribute. The sad part is they are completely right. Developing on closed systems isn't worth the time anymore, especially when having to start from the ground up with so few people to reverse engineer and code. Best example is the PS3, the homebrew on it is pretty much non-existant.

It's the same reason I bought my nVidia Shield, I can play games, stream, and even throw on some damn good emulators written on the Android OS and it works great. I can change what I need, and no walls. Vita on the other hand, you're basically locked into PSP only mode, which requires you to buy a $15-20 game every time an exploit is released.

And so far, the Vita is the first console to be unhackable as of yet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And so far, the Vita is the first console to be unhackable as of yet.
The PSVita has been hacked as far as I know and it runs code in PSVita Mode. Excuse the watermarks:
5b0XWpG.jpg

aELH6ni.jpg

7Ogycjr.jpg

9t16HEh.jpg
There's several reasons why this isn't out. Firstly, Sony cracks down on hackers hardcore, this much is well-known. Secondly, the system is not really mapped like the 3DS is thanks to 3DBrew. Thirdly, nobody wants an exploit that you can't really use because there's no coding framework ready yet, partially due to the second reason. Fourthly, nobody's gone beyond User Mode so far. Finally, they don't want the slim exploit windows to be patched up - they'd rather wait for later firmwares which may or may not contain even better features and be more optimized.

D

Deleted User

OP
and a followup question, where did you read that?
I think you have misunderstood my questions.
I'm asking when did wiikey say the Wii U is not worth homebrewing because there is 3.5 million Wii U's sold. Actually according to Game IGN and Gamespot 6.17 Million Wii U console have been sold.

D

Deleted User

OP
Yep Foxi, that was pretty much my point. I drew the parallels for that reason. There's supposed exploits for the main mode in the wild, but for now, we're stuck with vWii and PSP modes until such time. Unfortunately, they're both in the same boat in terms of getting homebrew going. No one wants to waste kernel exploits until we're sure a base is set. No point in releasing anything only to get squashed by a firmware update.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
If you consider some facts , The Wii at the third quarter of 2010 had sold approx 75 million worldwide , and TT report at that time the unique installs of HBC to be just short of 600000 , thats one in every 125 wiis is softmodded to play homebrew. If you take that same ratio of hacked consoles and apply to the WiiU it would suggest that approx 28000 WiiU owners would bother to mess/mod their systems .. although thats a fair amount of people , this should be the figure you mention when discussing this , not 100% of sales.

D

Deleted User

OP
Well I did mention "hardly anyone homebrews" but I didn't know how much ...
BTW its actualy 6.17 million Wii U's sold so more like 49,000 Wii U's homebrewed which is actually pretty good. At least that's what I think.
But as Gunner007 says "It's not so much the userbase, but the lack of the system features itself."

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mmm wiiU not have NEWS or BIG news or hype, so if the softmod come out, every wiiU user know the info and probably install it.
For my opinion wiiU have the way for homebrew, f0f explain all ways (reset and webkit hack)

D

Deleted User

OP
Do you think I should just homebrew vWii ?
And also do you think hacking vWii will effect hacking the Wii U for real later ?

D

Deleted User

OP
No reason not to. But you'll need an exploitable game. The only important thing is avoid using anything wii related on the U unless it specifies. Unlike the Wii, there's no way to recover from some bricks.

I doubt there will be much from vWii without a major exploit since most of the registers and H/W get shut off in the transistion to vWii, I think the only accomplishment was they were able to re-establish 3 coreWiiU.

D

Deleted User

OP
I'll probably borrow an exploitable game from my library.
But ...
What is the worst that could happen if I do something wrong ? Bricked vWii or Bricked WiiU ?
Also say in the unlikely case you can't homebrew WiiU if you do vWii, is there anyway to "unhomebrew" vWii ?

D

Deleted User

OP
Can only brick the vWii since nothing on the U side is available after the transition. If you stay away from old forwarders, random IOS, and system menu themes you should be okay. To my knowledge, there isn't really a way to "unhomebrew" the Wii. You could go through removing HBC and the corresponding IOS but its probably more trouble than it's worth, and very likely to cause a brick or issues. (I know a couple threads on this forum had problems applying FW updates to bad/corrupted copies of IOS).

Most FW doesn't touch the vWii, so no idea if a FW update will fix it. For now though, no update has touched vWii to break it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.