Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I correct in assuming that the kernel exploit by chadders and beanz is included in the leak?

If so, nintendo will know just what to patch in the kernel..... this just occured to me. That would be bad....

Reactions: Margen67

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I correct in assuming that the kernel exploit by chadders and beanz is included in the leak?

If so, nintendo will know just what to patch in the kernel..... this just occured to me. That would be bad....

Nah, just Cafiine, they made it independent of the exploit for a reason. Also, it's not a leak.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, the kernel exploit and applications that use it are separate. This is true for their exploit and ours.

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cafiine is the tool chadderz made to replace Riivolution for Wii U games. Basically, it patches coreinit's file loading functions to jump to our code so we can handle it (either loading over the network by connecting to a server you give it from socket.h or the file from disc/eMMC). It's planned to be rewritten (eventually >.>) with support for loading files over USB (hopefully) and making all the code compatible (since it breaks several games currently, including Wind Waker HD :<)

thanks

Reactions: Margen67

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes

Edit: VV Wanted to write that, but couldn't figure out how to without sounding too snarky :ha:
He doesn't have to now:lol:.
How else do you think we're using it? :P
LOL, here I thought the exploit was used to just change out certain files in RAM, like devolution (I think) did and thinking tcp gecko was used for finding cheat codes and thus not supported due to allows cheating. At least I learned something new today :rofl:.

Xplic1T

Trophies
XP
Country
Cafiine is used to replace files that are present the WII U game disk that are stored in ram during run time. It looks to be built on top of TCP Gecko dot net but has been encapsulated with its on server code. TCP Gecko lets you change hex values already loaded within ram and Cafiine applies that concept to whole file structure so that any file matching in name can be swapped out in memory during run time. I've only seen this with one game and thats Mk8 but I'm sure others are functional.

This is a good step in the right direction to homebrew because now other code can be executed without the need of it being signed...its just a matter of time until the exploit gets leaked and a team releases a "hello world" compiled from the Wii U SDK. All that's needed is a good entry point which most likely has already been found.

Let's hope these exploits get released soon (I heard there are 2 separate browser based kernel exploits at the moment) so that others can use these to further the cause. God knows we've waited long enough but I'm surprised not even a video of anything has surfaced yet showcasing true homebrew code execution.

Why are we keeping this so under-wraps on a console that's most likely in the the last half of its life span?

Xplic1T

Trophies
XP
Country
So im guessing we are near to mod ssb4 just wondering if this works like rivolution, what will happen to the dlc on the console itself, like loading mewtwo?

Take a look at this video here ...

Changing a hex value in RAM will change the variable of something (once isolated). I.e. I can choose Bowser's car but change my hex offset to Luigi's car... viola ... you're riding in Luigi's car (because that variable was changed in your ram) ... at-least locally. If you were racing someone online, I'd imagine they'd still see you in Bowser's car. The same can be applied to SSB. I.e. you download the DLC and find the hex offset for MEWTOO and change your character. Again, I'm not sure how it would work online.

MN1/NWP please release the exploit... I bricked my old WII U and am in the process of getting another.

Reactions: Antonio Ricardo

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[...] If you were racing someone online, I'd imagine they'd still see you in Bowser's car. The same can be applied to SSB [...]
Wrong. The changing fully works online. The game reads your selection but whoops, you hacked it to something else so it continues by using the altered data.
Mario Kart Wii (Online) Character/Vehicle Changer:

Smash Bros. Online Character Modifier:

Smash Bros. desyncs and disconnects the game when there's an "issue" such as someone messing with the gameplay (which would be the case when they see a different character than you do) but this is not the case here since I just "picked" Giga Bowser as my character and they see everything the same as I do.

Convinced? :P

Xplic1T

Trophies
XP
Country
Wrong. The changing fully works online. The game reads your selection but whoops, you hacked it to something else so it continues by using the altered data.
Mario Kart Wii (Online) Character/Vehicle Changer:

Smash Bros. Online Character Modifier:

Smash Bros. desyncs and disconnects the game when there's an "issue" such as someone messing with the gameplay (which would be the case when they see a different character than you do) but this is not the case here since I just "picked" Giga Bowser as my character and they see everything the same as I do.

Convinced? :P

The Wii U isn't a Wii ... I'm sure safeguards are in place ... i.e. ban hammer.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not wanting to dig through pages of stuff, Quick question.

So there is a Kernel Exploit on the Latest and below, and a Userland exploit on 5.1 and below.

Why is 5.3.2 safe to update to if the Kernel Exploit cannot be activated on 5.3.2 because there is no Userland exploit to do it? Does "Bug still available" mean the userland exploit was not actually patched in 5.1?

Thanks.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So there is a Kernel Exploit on the Latest and below, and a Userland exploit on 5.1 and below.

Why is 5.3.2 safe to update to if the Kernel Exploit cannot be activated on 5.3.2 because there is no Userland exploit to do it? Does "Bug still available" mean the userland exploit was not actually patched in 5.1?

Thanks.

Hykem is actively working toward a 5.3.2 userland exploit. The kernel exploit will work on every version up to the latest. Although, I agree, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks.

There won't be a kernel exploit released without a 5.3.2 web exploit.

Reactions: hms

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...