Hardware Wii U gets stuck on bootup screen

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i sold my wii u to a guy yesterday, and he bought mario kart 8, as it was installing, it got stuck at 19% and said the estimated time was 99 hours, he let it sit for a few hours but when nothing changed, he turned the wii u off and ever since, the quickstart menu gets launched but when he clicks on anything, the wii u logo shows up, plays the music for a little while and then just freezes. can someone help?

D

Deleted User

So i sold my wii u to a guy yesterday, and he bought mario kart 8, as it was installing, it got stuck at 19% and said the estimated time was 99 hours, he let it sit for a few hours but when nothing changed, he turned the wii u off and ever since, the quickstart menu gets launched but when he clicks on anything, the wii u logo shows up, plays the music for a little while and then just freezes. can someone help?

Why do you people allways use the On/Off-switch in such a situation and think it would change anything (as if that would help if a processor is frozen/locked)?

What do you guys think "Wifi-On/Off-Switches" were invented for? You never considered to actually make use of them?

Why are you so impatient? Sometimes a process such as that can take hours. If an SSD is broken it´s not really "broken" in most cases. It just takes a lot of TIME for the controller on an SSD or internal memory in order to FIX the "dead" memory-cells. This takes TIME.

It might be, that his WiiU had such a situation and it tried to fix the bad memory-access. But then he switched it off before it could correct that issue....and well. of course it´s broken then because error couldnt be repaired/corrected and on start of the console such errors aren´t checked for (it works similar as "Scandisk" on a PC, normally a PC does NOT scan for scandisk-errors on start, right? What happens if you have errors on your HDD and Scandisk isn´t started when you boot your PC? ERROR! Same principle!).

Do you guys also do a firmware-update on a PC..and then if you think so "Meh, it must be be done by now!" switch off the PC (and hope it will go on the next time, because nothing bad could happen if you kill a firmware?) xD

Sorry dude.

It doesn´t sound good. In your case, if you installed the game into the INTERNAL Memory, your WiiU is a BRICK Now. But don´t panic now. There are 100s of possible bricks. The kind of brick you have is a most-likely simple SOFTWARE-brick. That means some software is broken in your WiiU now and that it can no longer operate normally.

If your WiiU`s OS is frozen or freezes after short amount of time or when you click on it, it means it´s OS is damaged.

You might try to fix it by hand, but it´s complicated. And it might be, that you won`t be able to fix it, especially if you DO NOT HAVE a backup of the NAND!

The ONLY SIMPLE thing you can try now:

a) Make sure your internet-allways-connection was turned on (or pray it works without that function on)
b) Buy a Lan-adapter for 5$ or use an old Wii-one and plug it into the WiiU which is affected.
c) Connect it with the internet, make sure YOU USE IPV4! This METHOD only works via IPV4 guys! So please be use to NOT use IPV6! You need to use an IPV4-capable provider that gives you a VALID IPV4-address. WiiU is NOT compatible with IPV6 (and this method therefore doesn´t work with IPV6).
d) wait some time (it can take hours sometimes until a software-damaged WiiU takes note of your internet and then tries to repair itself) and notice if the ORANGE light of WiiU´s "Standby-mode" comes up (turns from red (switched off = Standby) to orange). If it does, you have GOOD chances, that your WiiU notices the defect software and can repair it.
e) in this case- it will show a BLINKING orange light when it first downloads something (patch) and then installs something! In your case it will download some modules and exchange them with the broken ones on your internal memory. Nintendo-software generally makes sure your memory isn´t broken and thus it will notice your memory-error (it might not be broken, just some typical Nand-error, which occurs every 1 Mio writes) and then fix it before starting to install the patch. Like i said: Some kind of Scandisk-like software, just checking for errors on your NAND-memory first before then trying to install something to it. If it finds a software-error on it it will be corrected.
f) PRAY it works (wait until blinking orange light has STOPPED blinking and turns to "red" again)
g) THEN you might start your WiiU again. Pray even more it helped.

This is the official WiiU-emergency-method. If this doesn´t work, it will be VERY COMPLICATED to save your bricked WiiU.

The more advanced method is then to use something like "FtPiiU" so access the NAND-files directly from some PC...and then modify the necessary broken files and exchange them by HAND with some working modules. VERY complicated and very dangerous. I would NOT recommend doing that if you don`t know what you´re doing.

But for now: Try the simple method with 8 steps above. And report back if it worked or something changed. If you don`t have a Lan-adapter buy one (actually it would be worth 5$ to repair a broken WiiU to get it back to life)- or lend one from friends. You can use ANY USB-capable Lan-adapter that works with a WiiU. Even old Wii-Lan-adapters work.

You might also call Nintendo and tell them what happened. They will understand and might be able to help you. And they will tell you what you might try too. But i reckon they will just tell you the same that you should plug in a Lan-adapter into your WiiU and try letting it stay for some hours like that (with IPV4-configured Internet) and watch what happens if you have an internet-connection established.

Whatever you decide to do now:

GOOD LUCK!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

^^And i want to add:

Just like when you run the old "Scandisk" on a PC, which can take HOURS (depending on the errors on your HDD/SSD)...it can as well take something like 10-20 HOURS in order to repair a bad internal WiiU´s NAND-flash.

It´s a 32 Gbyte module after all. And it isn´t the fastest as you know (the read speed is fast 150 Mbytes/second i heard, but the WRITE-speed is very, very slow, something like 20 Mbytes/second and if you have thousands of small files, like in an WiiU-OS, then the speed is very, very slow, similar to how an HDD runs Windows compared to an SSD = Slow). And the speed of the WiiU´s "Check"-program depends on the processor-speed which in this case is a very slow model.

We know the WiiU´s OS is about ~5 Gbytes in size. That means, assuming you have normal 32 kbyte-files you have something like roughly ~10.000 files in about 3 Gbytes of memory.
And you have 5 Gbytes for the OS, not just 3 gbytes. So it´s close to 20.000 possible files which might have to be corrected.

Yeah no wonder it can take that long.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1