Hardware Wii U Failures - 160-xxxx

yoshi2215

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Greetings,

Our Wii U has posted the dreaded 160-2215 error.
Looking into the problem, it appears the Wii U has a somewhat non-insignificant failure rate in general.
It seems the a lot of issues may be related to eMMC wear (?)

As tempting as it is to simply source a replacement (used) Wii U, I suspect that also may fail at some point in the near future.

The other option is to put the unit in for repair with Nintendo. Which I'm more than happy to do. However, I'm not sure if the repair will actually resolve whatever the underlying problem is (i.e. bad eMMC wear leveling).

Is a better long term solution (assuming one even exists), to mod an existing Wii U in such way that eMMC wear is reduced significantly?

TIA.

yoshi2215

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
dont use the internal nand storage only external ones
Just to clarify please.

Are you saying that it's possible to use the Wii U without ever accessing the NAND (including booting and OS), or did you mean don't store/run any games from NAND, just use external storage only?

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to clarify please.

Are you saying that it's possible to use the Wii U without ever accessing the NAND (including booting and OS), or did you mean don't store/run any games from NAND, just use external storage only?

the second one. Booting, system setting changes, controller connecting and stuff like that of course utilizes the internal nand. But I think its unlikely that this will cause much wear to the internal storage. Its maybe more problematic if you download and install/deinstall a lot of demos and games, also using internal nand for save games

But also keep in mind that you usually only read if people have issues with their console not if everything is working fine. imo internal storage failures probably still only affects a minority of produced consoles

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea, might be due to the wii u being such a failure, but I do commend them for sticking with it as long as they did.

yoshi2215

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
the second one. Booting, system setting changes, controller connecting and stuff like that of course utilizes the internal nand. But I think its unlikely that this will cause much wear to the internal storage. Its maybe more problematic if you download and install/deinstall a lot of demos and games, also using internal nand for save games

But also keep in mind that you usually only read if people have issues with their console not if everything is working fine. imo internal storage failures probably still only affects a minority of produced consoles
Okay, thanks.

I think I'll try to acquire another Wii U.
But, I'll mod it, and just use non-NAND storage where I can.
Then hope it lasts for a while.

I don't suppose the mods give the option of somehow using non-NAND storage for save games and routine/temp storage?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
save games are stored on the same partition as the game iirc, so if you use an external hdd to store your games, that's where the saves will be as well.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
like godreborn said, savegames are stored on the drive where the game is. (if unsure just check data management in system settings, as the save data is listed there)

you can also copy save games from disc games from internal to external (if you used a disc based game and saved the first time without external hdd connected, games will use the internal storage. If you have a external one connected and save, games will use the external hdd for saves)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-