Hacking Wii U Bricked and backup lost 0.o

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hey guys!

I was experimenting with my Wii U today (trying to inject some custom SSL certificates to spoof the Nintendo Network) when I think I've obviously done something I shouldn't have. I figured I would be okay if anything went wrong since I had dumped my nand and put it on an external drive. Well, that was until I realized my Wii U wouldn't work anymore and neither would my drive (talk about bad luck) :sad:.:hateit::hateit:

So now I'm left with a bricked Wii U and probably no way to get it back.

That said, I am wondering, since I still have my otp file somewhere, would it be possible for me to dump my eMMC nand by means of harmodding, decrypt the image with the key from the otp, revert the changes I have made (the file I was working on isn't checksummed it's just that I've commented by mistake a line so it would only require me to change one or two bytes) with a hex editor and then encrypt and inject it back into the eMMC? Sounds pretty far-fetched but is there any chance this could work ?

Last edited by Hikari06,

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
If you do have the correct keys then it shoukd be possible with a hardware dumper, but if you are asking here then you likely are not one whom has the capabilties of doing so. I only say that because there arent any tools publicly available and you dont sound up for the task of making such tools.

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
If you do have the correct keys then it shoukd be possible with a hardware dumper, but if you are asking here then you likely are not one whom has the capabilties of doing so. I only say that because there arent any tools publicly available and you dont sound up for the task of making such tools.

Well when it comes to the software part I can handle it. I am not that experienced with soldering though. But from what I know dumping the eMMC isn't that hard provided you solder the wires properly. I'm just asking because I would have liked to know if anyone has attempted this before.

D

Deleted User

Well when it comes to the software part I can handle it. I am not that experienced with soldering though. But from what I know dumping the eMMC isn't that hard provided you solder the wires properly. I'm just asking because I would have liked to know if anyone has attempted this before.

I can handle the hardware side for you.

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Can you code? The hardware dumping is easy with the right tools.
I sure can :) I'm pretty familiar with aes-128-cbc and openssl stuff so if it is possible I should be able to do it.
I can handle the hardware side for you.
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind if I can't manage on my own :)

BoxNinPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D
Hey guys!

I was experimenting with my Wii U today (trying to inject some custom SSL certificates to spoof the Nintendo Network) when I think I've obviously done something I shouldn't have. I figured I would be okay if anything went wrong since I had dumped my nand and put it on an external drive. Well, that was until I realized my Wii U wouldn't work anymore and neither would my drive (talk about bad luck) :sad:.:hateit::hateit:

So now I'm left with a bricked Wii U and probably no way to get it back.

That said, I am wondering, since I still have my otp file somewhere, would it be possible for me to dump my eMMC nand by means of harmodding, decrypt the image with the key from the otp, revert the changes I have made (the file I was working on isn't checksummed it's just that I've commented by mistake a line so it would only require me to change one or two bytes) with a hex editor and then encrypt and inject it back into the eMMC? Sounds pretty far-fetched but is there any chance this could work ?
Did you try asking to Smea if he can give you some clue or some help, a couple weeks ago he bricked his Wii U and bring it back with hardmod, there is a video and picture where he show that, perhaps he can help you in something....

Last edited by BoxNinPlay,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys!

I was experimenting with my Wii U today (trying to inject some custom SSL certificates to spoof the Nintendo Network) when I think I've obviously done something I shouldn't have. I figured I would be okay if anything went wrong since I had dumped my nand and put it on an external drive. Well, that was until I realized my Wii U wouldn't work anymore and neither would my drive

I dunno about getting the data off your NAND. But why have you given up getting the data off the HDD? How did it stop working? If it's a problem with the enclosure you could take the drive out and hook it up to a computer. I believe the HDDs in most enclosures just use regular SATA connectors. Sometimes connected to a weird adapter. Can you read the SMART data? It the actual drive failing?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
There is the whole SD/eMMC hack that is very simple to do. The actual NAND chip has two 512mb banks and that can accessed via an infectus, teensy 2.0++, or a progskeet. The NAND is certainly more difficult as it is best to actually remove the NAND chip for dumping/writing. I only have experience with using an infectus, although I do have a teensy 2.0++ I just never got around to figuring that out since my infectus works just fine.

I still have yet to dump the flash chips from my wii u, but I am considering giving it a go if I can get everyone to stop playing games on it for a few hours.

If you are up for working on a project together then I could do testing on my wii u. I could dump my keys and flash chips, you see if you can decrypt->modify data->re-encrypt and then I can test it out on my wii u.

I have been hoping someone would make a program that can modify files in an encrypted image. If that gets done then wii u hacking will become a lot more interesting. I tried asking giantpune if he would be willing to work on a program like that since he has enough experience to do it but he wasn't interested as he has life and family.

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I dunno about getting the data off your NAND. But why have you given up getting the data off the HDD? How did it stop working? If it's a problem with the enclosure you could take the drive out and hook it up to a computer. I believe the HDDs in most enclosures just use regular SATA connectors. Sometimes connected to a weird adapter. Can you read the SMART data? It the actual drive failing?

Well actually it's an internal drive which I have converted to an external drive. I took the enclosure out and connected it on two different computers with different sata cables and the hard drive starts making clicking noises, which isn't usually a good sign, and isn't even shown in the bios.

There is the whole SD/eMMC hack that is very simple to do. The actual NAND chip has two 512mb banks and that can accessed via an infectus, teensy 2.0++, or a progskeet. The NAND is certainly more difficult as it is best to actually remove the NAND chip for dumping/writing. I only have experience with using an infectus, although I do have a teensy 2.0++ I just never got around to figuring that out since my infectus works just fine.

I still have yet to dump the flash chips from my wii u, but I am considering giving it a go if I can get everyone to stop playing games on it for a few hours.

If you are up for working on a project together then I could do testing on my wii u. I could dump my keys and flash chips, you see if you can decrypt->modify data->re-encrypt and then I can test it out on my wii u.

I have been hoping someone would make a program that can modify files in an encrypted image. If that gets done then wii u hacking will become a lot more interesting. I tried asking giantpune if he would be willing to work on a program like that since he has enough experience to do it but he wasn't interested as he has life and family.

Hopefully the changes I have made were on the eMMC nand so I'm going to try to dump it tomorrow via the SD method since it seems easy enough for me. As for the decryption I am going to try to decrypt the whole image without paying too much attention to the the file system. If I can decipher the data then I should be able to locate the file I have to patch, change a few bytes with a hex editor, then encrypt the image back. If this works maybe I'lltake a closer look at the fs so I can get some kind of app to patch your image on the fly :)

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well actually it's an internal drive which I have converted to an external drive. I took the enclosure out and connected it on two different computers with different sata cables and the hard drive starts making clicking noises, which isn't usually a good sign, and isn't even shown in the bios.

Hopefully the changes I have made were on the eMMC nand so I'm going to try to dump it tomorrow via the SD method since it seems easy enough for me. As for the decryption I am going to try to decrypt the whole image without paying too much attention to the the file system. If I can decipher the data then I should be able to locate the file I have to patch, change a few bytes with a hex editor, then encrypt the image back. If this works maybe I'lltake a closer look at the fs so I can get some kind of app to patch your image on the fly :)
If you get this working, keep us updated! an easy unbrick tool would be really useful.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OK. Just making sure. Sounds like it's f___ed. Everything NAND related is above my pay grade. Good luck sir.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How important is the data on that hdd? The clicking sounds are more than likely internal mechanisms warping over time, it's probably recoverable professionally at extreme cost (a new wiiu will probably be cheaper).

However, and this really really would be a last ditch suicide mission, there is a way of sometimes recovering it just long enough to pull some data.

If you can seal the drive in a sandwich bag or similar and freeze it it can shrink the internal mechanism and potentially allow movement again.

It will kill your drive. It probably wont work. If its not sealed it could short the circuit boards/the rest of your p.c.

I have tried this on 3 hdd. It has never worked lol. My colleague reckons he's got it working once long enough to grab some photos off and I doubt he would lie.

It might be worth a try if the data is important and your just going to bin it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far