Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
Not necessarily, the PS4 shouldn't know any better than an actual PS Vita is connecting to it. The vita uses 802.11n in a 1+1 configuration and best results are when directly connection to the PS4 itself, bypassing your WiFi router.

I guess the issue is that since the device will need to be paired to the PS4, we won't be able to look on the unmodified PS4-internal side of things. And we can safely assume Sony doesn't use ROT-3 as they would be in trouble with Nintendo :)

Of course, if the Remote Play is reverse engineered, one could simply use the PS4->PC and PC->Gamepad.

Reactions: Celice

Lostsam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care about Wii U backup loaders because I already can buy the games I want, but does this thing means we'll be able to stream stuff from the Pc to the gamepad in short time?

Like(I know this sounds ridiculous) streaming Pcsx2 to the gamepad since it's just running on the Pc, provided we have a good enough connection?

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care about Wii U backup loaders because I already can buy the games I want, but does this thing means we'll be able to stream stuff from the Pc to the gamepad in short time?

Like(I know this sounds ridiculous) streaming Pcsx2 to the gamepad since it's just running on the Pc, provided we have a good enough connection?

Yup. If this happens, In time, Most of the popular PC emulators will be playable through the Wii U game pad :)

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's essentially what the Wind Waker demo was shown at the end of the presentation. It seems like the WiiU gamepad will become a kind of remote-play for anything on your computer, so mostly you would have to deal with ensuring your hardware could run the emulator :)

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It'll be really interesting to play games like AM2R and Mother 4 on a Nintendo Portable (almost) Console when both of them and that feature in particular are released. I really wouldn't like to play those games in any other way.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I buy some games as digital, some on disc. I want them all as digital. I want a backup loader so I can make my disc games digital. It's easier to show everyone what games you have, when they are on the system, not on a shelf in the other room. Also makes the Wii U more portable. I'm sure people will want to play my disc games during this holiday, but they can't. I left them 1000 miles away. Same thing with the 3DS. When going on vacation I have to pick some games and then stuck with those choices. I can't bring them all.

Lostsam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I buy some games as digital, some on disc. I want them all as digital. I want a backup loader so I can make my disc games digital. It's easier to show everyone what games you have, when they are on the system, not on a shelf in the other room. Also makes the Wii U more portable. I'm sure people will want to play my disc games during this holiday, but they can't. I left them 1000 miles away. Same thing with the 3DS. When going on vacation I have to pick some games and then stuck with those choices. I can't bring them all.

Oh sure it's just that everyone thinks of piracy when talking about ISO loaders, and it's not on-topic with the gamepad stuff.
I'm sure those will come with time though, I may be ignorant but I can't believe out of thousands of people working on this stuff only a single group could "find" the exploit to hack the console, someone else will come.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...but I can't believe out of thousands of people working on this stuff only a single group could "find" the exploit to hack the console...
if your premise was correct, i'd totally agree, but the thousands working is really thousands complaining or clamoring for the end result of just a few people's already completed work. i think, realistically, that there's likely a handful of people attempting to do what f0f has done, and since we've never heard of them, we'll probably never hear from them.

my two cents.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They showed you can stream games playing on the Dolphin emulator on the PC to the GamePad.

126bfo9.jpg

Cool.

Reactions: Celice

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A very interesting video. Though it has to be stressed that most of the things are still in alpha stage (and on linux), it's pretty clear that there is quite a bit of work done. :)

*applauds* :bow:

I do have a few questions, though. Probably not the most important ones, but I can't help being curious...
* it was briefly mentioned that audio and input weren't so hard. Does that include the touchscreen input? (I'm assuming it is, considering the first demo, but the video unfortunately didn't show the pc screen so I'm not sure if that was supposed to move the mouse cursor on the pc).
* also...the wind waker demo didn't feature any sound. Was that intentional or could it have been enabled?
* the crashes due to the video sync issues...is that in both directions?
(if I understood the demo correct, it was certainly the case when sending gamepad camera footage to the pc. But I'm not sure if streaming pc content to the gamepad - the wind waker demo - is the same issue)

Kamek64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried drc-sim from their bitbucket, I installed the required modules, but when I run it it throws this error:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Benutzer\Yannik\Downloads\memahaxx-drc-sim-7392698efa29\memahaxx-drc-sim-7392698efa29\drc-sim.py", line 15, in <module>
    joystick = pygame.joystick.Joystick(0)
error: Invalid joystick device number
I think that's because the gamepad is not connected to the pc, how can I connect it to the pc as joystick?

edit:
Nevermind, I think you don't use the Gamepad as joystick but you use a joystick as the Wii U gamepad.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IF Nintendo starts making the GamePad separately, that will sell more than the Wii U console itself lol

IF they will do it, AND you can use two GamePads per WiiU, the metric of units sold does not lend itself to make any conclusions. That being said, Nintendo shouldn't so you'd have to buy a WiiU to get one. This will increase their sales numbers and "installed base" which makes them look good! Win-Win!

delroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Read carefully. Nobody questioned delroth's work. Many want to see a video showing unsigned code running on retail unit. They help delroth with Wii U binaries/files but not for Maxternal. That is very indicative of a lack of interest in an sdk (aside from genuine one).

Just noticed I forgot to reply to that. The main difference is that we got a lot of stuff working *before* getting f0f's help. I think by the point we got access to all the private Wii U hacking stuff, we already had dumped the GamePad flash, reverse engineered all the Wi-Fi stuff, and had audio and input streaming working. It also took us only a week or so to get to that point. Compare that to Maxternal and friends building on f0f discoveries and taking months to implement a (fairly trivial) race attack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think