Wii Successor: "Project Butterfly"?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
x_r3ap3r_x said:
What about HVD? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
They can hold up to 6TB of Data something that could hold that much data surely should be used for the future of gaming, with everything getting so graphically intense and all. Like MGS4 i heard that only just fit on a Dual layer Blu-ray which is 50GB.
Well actually most of the storage used nowadays is filled up by video in games. NOT actual code or graphics. But eventually it will happen.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
x_r3ap3r_x said:
They can hold up to 6TB of Data something that could hold that much data surely should be used for the future of gaming, with everything getting so graphically intense and all. Like MGS4 i heard that only just fit on a Dual layer Blu-ray which is 50GB.

MGS4 real size is about 30GB IIRC, the rest is just redundant data to improve loading times. Anyway HVD is not a reality yet. I think 50gb or 100~128gb (BDXL) is more than enough for next gen.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
x_r3ap3r_x said:
Holy shit 6TB sounds a lot lol.
Well with all the technology available, I am sure Nintendo/Microsoft or any company will come up their own storage for next gen.
Up to 100GB is probably best fot the next gen.
(nintendo can limit themself to 20
tongue.gif
lol... they arent the most intense ones out there)

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
No blu ray was developed by Sony/Philips and Pioneer back in 1995.
Like I said get up to date.

I never said they weren't, but Blu-ray is owned (In part) by LG and several other companies. It doesn't just belong to Sony.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tanveer said:
x_r3ap3r_x said:
Holy shit 6TB sounds a lot lol.
Well with all the technology available, I am sure Nintendo/Microsoft or any company will come up their own storage for next gen.
Up to 100GB is probably best fot the next gen.
(nintendo can limit themself to 20
tongue.gif
lol... they arent the most intense ones out there)

Not this gen no...

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
This new console is planned to be something that last for LIFE. Instead of buying a new console every year a new generation comes up, all you need to do is buy a new component and just upgrades it
spinal_cord said:
Single unit with upgradable parts..... I have one of those already, it's called a PC.

Funny that - I thought the same thing.... although I also thought about the good old Megadrive & it's 'modular upgrades'
250px-Sega-CD-Model2-Set.png
CD (Optical) Drive
250px-Sega-Genesis-Model2-32X.png
32-bit addon
220px-Sega_megamodem.jpg
Modem
300px-SegaMegaAdaptor.jpg
[GameGear ??] Adaptor unit
th_gen_mtap_p450_1.jpg
Multiplayer Adaptor

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hielkenator said:
Owners of blu ray rights.... Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Time Warner, Walt Disney.
No LG?
You probably forgot about LG
tongue.gif

From wiki:

CODEThe current 19 board members (as of June 2009) are:[4]

ÂÂÂÂApple Inc.
ÂÂÂÂDell Inc.
ÂÂÂÂHewlett-Packard
ÂÂÂÂHitachi, Ltd.
ÂÂÂÂIntel Corporation
ÂÂÂÂLG Electronics
ÂÂÂÂMitsubishi Electric
ÂÂÂÂPanasonic Corporation
ÂÂÂÂPioneer Corporation
ÂÂÂÂRoyal Philips Electronics
ÂÂÂÂSamsung Electronics
ÂÂÂÂSharp Corporation
ÂÂÂÂSony Corporation
ÂÂÂÂSun Microsystems
ÂÂÂÂTDK Corporation
ÂÂÂÂTechnicolor SA
ÂÂÂÂ20th Century Fox
ÂÂÂÂWalt Disney Motion Pictures Group
ÂÂÂÂWarner Bros. Entertainment

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blu rays haven't reached the max amount of space they could hold yet. The last time I checked the most possible gb theory w/o the new experimental coating was 250 gb. That's alot of space for a portable disc. But yeah this Nintendo. Like others said they'll probably go with the hologram virtual disc they patented a year or 2 ago. Using such new tech would diffidently hold back a new system from the public.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should also mention Sony owns a share in dvds too. Since the original wiis had dvd drives, Nintendo would be breaking the law if it was illegal. So there's always the chance wii 2 could have a blu-ray drive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not convinced of the need for higher capacity optical media just yet- nice but still far from mandatory especially if you stop listening to audophiles and their video brethren for a moment and play with some good compression and are content to remain paddling at the shallow end of the graphics pool (and/or can toy with some procedural generation).
Speaking of such things MS also sit on a few boards for video standards although the wii managed to get away without playing DVD video so that might be less useful.

This is to say nothing of download components- XBLA has already seen a few texture packs for download.

Re modular upon thinking about it a bit more I reckon I could welcome that as long as they have a reasonably open and some people could to with it. Sadly Nintendo are only slightly ahead of MS' present strategy (see third party 360 stuff needing a license pretty much to exist) in this regard.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
lol the next console will NOT have brd you can put that rumor to bed right now i can bet both my nuts on that. BRD is sony and big n never uses competitors hardware (unlike SOME companies)
tongue.gif

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
spinal_cord said:
Single unit with upgradable parts..... I have one of those already, it's called a PC.

True
laugh.gif

The only thing that differs consoles from PC are the games.
wink.gif

There are always some rumours saying that Wii 2 is going to have better graphics than PS3 and 360, Blueray support... Its getting kind of boring
dry.gif

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191 said:
I am not convinced of the need for higher capacity optical media just yet-
Nintendo devices may not require higher capacity optical media, but I am sure MS needs it for next gen.
Or you would prefer having 8 Disc Games released on the next Microsoft console o.O?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Tanveer said:
Or you would prefer having 8 Disc Games released on the next Microsoft console o.O?
that's easy to solve: stop cramming the disc with fucking cut scenes!!
stupidfaceh.jpg

It's kinda already happening though. Already we see developers going for in-engine cutscenes, FMV is somewhat going away now that there are robust tools for devs to create pretty cinematic experiences with the engine.

However I think we need higher capacity storage simply because of the AMOUNT of textures that will be rendering in the near future. As technology improves the size and amount of textures that can be rendered simultaneously is increasing. Also we as customers want more vibrant and varying experiences. The days of giving people "Brown castle, brown castle, and revenge of the brown castle" or "concrete, underground concrete, broken concrete" as the 'environments' are probably going to be smaller (Crysis 2 is a great example of making an urban environment not look grey. Grey needs to stop being the brown of yesteryear). I hope with more textures we can see much more visually appealing and realistic environments.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
antwill said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
To me, blu-ray support is a given. It's the current disc standard, and for Nintendo to continue using dvds all the way in 2011/2012 would be archaic. The projector idea sounds a bit iffy, but strange/cool ideas are to be expected with Nintendo, so who knows.
Microsoft still are.

The 360 uses dvd-dl and the console came out years ago anyway.
So? Surely they could have updated with the release of the slim, blu-ray drives are backwards compatible after all.
What would be the point in that if they wouldn't be able to use the drives for both games and as a bd player.
It wouldn't be too good of an investment from a business standpoint.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to FMV comments- were it not for FMV (which I already argued could be compressed significantly more than it has been) I do not think I have seen a game this generation that a bit of time and effort could not have happened on two discs and most of them quite happily one disc. I would love to see one long enough and varied enough to justify it but it has not happened.

"are probably going to be smaller"- I would argue it already happened (nintendo did a fair line in it for platformers of yesteryear (albeit a bit muddy and without much in the way of AA) and recently Zeno Clash) just that we regressed a bit for this current round/relied a bit much on if not the unreal engine then pretenders to that throne.

Equally re "AMOUNT of textures"- possibly and especially if they go in for some more voxel or something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4
I agree it is not ideal but it might make things a bit more interesting.

I assume we have all played something like http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger and/or kept half an eye on the demoscene for the last couple of years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I play the game of depression it usually beats me with cheat codes and has 60gb update files