Hacking wii or wii u? what should i buy

lawrencero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey, i dont know if this is the right category to post, but i want to ask you what console should i buy... Should i choose the previous wii or the latest wii u? Im very confused because here in my country the wii u console is twice more expensive than the wii u. Now the second reason i ask is because of the hacking thing... From what i ve read the wii u is not fully hackable. Could you please share your reasons and opinions with me? i ve never had a nintendo before and its my childhood dream... :) so... Please guide my with your experience. Thanks a lot!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends entirely on whether or not the price of the Wii U is that bit too much for you..... you can do nearly everything on it that you can on the Wii (hacking included), plus of course you'll have the latest Nintendo games to play on the Wii U itself too. If you can afford it, the Wii U is the best choice in my opinion but remember [for hacking as well] there's a few extra items to purchase to get the best out of either, get yer calculator out! ;)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
well basically, a wii U does have "a wii inside"...

you can play wii games, and can softmod it and have an "hacked wii" (but not wii u, they are like 2 separated parts..)

it all depends if you are willing to pay the extra to be able to get wii U games...

with a wii u, you can do almost anything a wii is able to do, but a wii can be very cheap especially second hand, which i recommend....

lawrencero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Depends entirely on whether or not the price of the Wii U is that bit too much for you..... you can do nearly everything on it that you can on the Wii (hacking included), plus of course you'll have the latest Nintendo games to play on the Wii U itself too. If you can afford it, the Wii U is the best choice in my opinion but remember [for hacking as well] there's a few extra items to purchase to get the best out of either, get yer calculator out! ;)
Thanks for your answer. Could you please tell me which extra items you are referring to? Thans again.

D

Deleted User

Only advantage of (some) Wiis is that it can support gamecube contollers.
The Wii U is hackable for Wii games so currently they are both the same in terms of hackability.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From my point of view: which wiiu games do you want to play? It has some great games, but I cannot deny that most of them are mere enhanced abilities of games that are also available on the wii (e.g. New Super Mario Bros U is a nice game, but for nostalgia sake, gameplay is barely different from SNMBwii). If it's just for nostalgia sake...I'd go for the wii.
(note: if at all possible, avoid the "family wii" edition, as it lacks gamecube controllers. And if you want to hack it at all, avoid the wii mini AT ALL COST).

Thanks for your answer. Could you please tell me which extra items you are referring to? Thans again.

This is purely for the hacking part. Let's see...

For hacking, the very minimum you will need is an SD card and some time to read up on some basic principles on hacking the wii (it's been a while since I checked, but modmii is an awesome step-by-step tutorial that'll get all the files you need as well as the info). It's advised to invest in a dedicated USB drive, as they generally allow for way more storage room than any SD card (some pirates store pretty much the entire wii catalog on it).
On the wii, all hacking can be done with letterbomb or bannerbomb, which utilises an exploit in the wii interface (meaning: no other things need to be purchased). On the wiiu, these exploits don't work. However, a handful of wii games have similar bugs that can be exploited to install the HBC (which serves as the starting position for roughly anything else). So you'll need one of those (Super Smash Bros brawl is the most common one, though there are a few others).

Reactions: mightymuffy

lawrencero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
From my point of view: which wiiu games do you want to play? It has some great games, but I cannot deny that most of them are mere enhanced abilities of games that are also available on the wii (e.g. New Super Mario Bros U is a nice game, but for nostalgia sake, gameplay is barely different from SNMBwii). If it's just for nostalgia sake...I'd go for the wii.
(note: if at all possible, avoid the "family wii" edition, as it lacks gamecube controllers. And if you want to hack it at all, avoid the wii mini AT ALL COST).

This is purely for the hacking part. Let's see...

For hacking, the very minimum you will need is an SD card and some time to read up on some basic principles on hacking the wii (it's been a while since I checked, but modmii is an awesome step-by-step tutorial that'll get all the files you need as well as the info). It's advised to invest in a dedicated USB drive, as they generally allow for way more storage room than any SD card (some pirates store pretty much the entire wii catalog on it).
On the wii, all hacking can be done with letterbomb or bannerbomb, which utilises an exploit in the wii interface (meaning: no other things need to be purchased). On the wiiu, these exploits don't work. However, a handful of wii games have similar bugs that can be exploited to install the HBC (which serves as the starting position for roughly anything else). So you'll need one of those (Super Smash Bros brawl is the most common one, though there are a few others).
First thanks for your answer. I m getting in love with this community. From your answers now i am alternating between the 2 consoles. Now on the romanian market there is a bundle of wii u that offers the 32gb consoles, gamepad and the two games super mario bros and super luigi. A question i need to ask you is if i need to stay away from a certain bundle or wii u or wii version. I am asking because i am wondering if there hacking proof versions on the market. Any way i thank you again and again.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First thanks for your answer. I m getting in love with this community. From your answers now i am alternating between the 2 consoles. Now on the romanian market there is a bundle of wii u that offers the 32gb consoles, gamepad and the two games super mario bros and super luigi. A question i need to ask you is if i need to stay away from a certain bundle or wii u or wii version. I am asking because i am wondering if there hacking proof versions on the market. Any way i thank you again and again.
Right, my turn! :lol:
Wii U bundles: well the old 4Gb models are generally to be avoided (it's not essential though), simply as 4Gb is paltry (32Gb isn't much better, but there ya go!)
Wii bundles though - no Gamecube controller ports on the 'Family edition' (which is a newer remake of the console) should be avoided, simply as Gamecube ports are handy things to have, especially of course if you want to play GC games.... Again, it's not a deal breaker as via the hacking route there's new ways to play GC games on either Wii or Wii U anyway. Family editions are probably more expensive to find anyway, so I'd avoid...
The Wii Mini though, assuming that's available in your country, avoid that pile of excrement like the plague! It's basically a Wii with pretty much everything stripped down to the bare bones, and will be more expensive than a good quality 2nd hand regular Wii anyway. (Plus I'm pretty sure it can't be hacked either)

Yeah like Taleweaver says, minimum extra of SD card for either Wii or Wii U for hacking, plus game to unlock it on Wii U, plus larger storage device. Classic Controller or CC Pro also a bit of a must if you ask me - it does add up (especially the usb storage - you'll really be wanting an external hard drive)

Reactions: Taleweaver

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you buy an wii you should also buy:
-GC controller, to play GC and emulators like NES, SNES, Sega Mega Drive, Gameboy and so on
-SDcard
-USB disk
-Extra set of controllers
And as Taleweaver said, don't buy the family or mini edition. And considering the fact that there are sold over 100mil consoles you can properly find one on Ebay VERY cheap.

If you buy the Wii U you shoul also buy:
-GC controller
-GC to USB adapter
-SDcard
-USB disk
-Two extra set of controllers. You don't get any Wiimotes or nunchuk with your WiiU so you can't play Wii games without buying as least one set of wii controlls.
As you see the WiiU need some extra equipment compared to the Wii if you want to use its fully potensial. The upside is that you can play all the newest games, but you can't pirat them.

I'm willing to bet that you can find a used wii with extra controllers for almost the same price as two new wii conroller sets. So I would recommend you to just buy a used wii now and later buy a WiiU. That way you will have a cheap way into Nintendos world, and when you finally want a WiiU the prize will not be as high because you already have a lot of the extra equipment from the wii

Reactions: lawrencero

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I will always go with a Wii U, for me the promise of X is enough, also MK8 and SM3DW are very good and I am totally expecting SSB4.
Anyway, and consider that I don't know very well about Wii U hacking, so I might be wrong, but I think you should also think of buying a copy of one of the hackable Wii games for hacking the Wii U in vWii mode.
You can still hack the old Wii without any game using letterbomb.

lawrencero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Ok. From all your answers my mind goes to the Wii U console. As i said before on the romanian market there is a Deluxe Bundle edition with 32gb and Super Mario Bros and Super Luigi games included. Now i will ask for your advice on the additional games i must have to hack the console (very important if i must search for a specific version of the game). Can i download it from the nintendoEshop? Or do i have to have the disc physically? I am asking this because on the romanian market the games are about 40% more expensive so my thought is to download the additional games from the NintendoEshop. Maybe i am asking some stupid question but as a newbie i want to get it right from the first time. Also if you can point me to the best hacking guide or method i should use to hack the wii u console. Thanks again.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from a sheer graphics aspect go with the wii u. When playing wii u games you get great graphics. After all it is a next gen console. Although a ton of sites full of sony and microsoft fanboys will have you think the wii u is underpowered. That is a completely false statement. Sony and microsoft both are running a ton of apps in the background requiring a ton more memory, processor speeds, and graphics acceleration. Those apps aren't found in the wii u. So if you subtract the amount of specs the ps4 and xb1 are using in anti-piracy and "cool dashboards" you would see that the wii u actually has better specs than the other two. Combine that with the ability to play wii u games off screen and you have a sure winner. Comparing the wii to the wii u is like comparing atari to wii. They arent even in the same realm. The wii u is capable of so much. It really make me sad to see how some third party devs are treating this console. If people would just buy one and try it out they would realize this console is a very strong capable gaming system.
Anyway, buy a wii u as nobody is making new games for the wii. And the wii u really needs all the help it can get. (too many people that have never played one running their mouths about how it's no better than ps3. And are causing people who buy based on what they read when googling)

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here you can see what games that can hack the vWii. You need to buy the disc, but you can find the games cheap on Ebay.
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WiiMode

I used this guide, have a look and see if you find it easy enough
http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

I will also recommend that you read this "Do and don't" BEFORE you start hacking the vWii.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/

About your "Maybe i am asking some stupid question......"
Asking for good advice, guides and details is not not stupid question.
Stupid questions often start with "I didn't ask and now x is bricked, how do i....?"

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey, i dont know if this is the right category to post, but i want to ask you what console should i buy... Should i choose the previous wii or the latest wii u? Im very confused because here in my country the wii u console is twice more expensive than the wii u. Now the second reason i ask is because of the hacking thing... From what i ve read the wii u is not fully hackable. Could you please share your reasons and opinions with me? i ve never had a nintendo before and its my childhood dream... :) so... Please guide my with your experience. Thanks a lot!

Get the Wii U if you have the money , I have a Wii and a Wii U, Wii U can run most homebrew, and Gamecube games with Nintendont, Wii U scene it's very early now, so in shorts words, Get a Wii U if you have the money, if you don't have the money, get the Wii ;).

Also, you will be able to play the new coming Wii U games :D .

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There's not really any advantage to buying a regular Wii anymore other than price. The Wii does have native GameCube support, but the WiiU supports the GameCube now too thanks to Nintendont. HDMI support is a real help with modern TVs, and the ability to play WiiU games is obviously important!

The only snag is that you will have to buy a Wii Remote, Nunchuck etc

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
3 advatanges that original Wii have over Wii U are:
  • Can play region free retail discs (optional if you going to use USB loaders).
  • Can rip GameCube games (obligatory for Devolution).
  • No need for USB Y cable or external power suply for some HDDs (although Wii only have 2 USB ports vs 4 in Wii U)
Everything else can be emulated / made by Wii U, and in the plus side it can sends 1080p signal to your TV ;)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can use GeckoOS to play region free retail discs. You can even set up a forwarder to make it as hassle free as possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @Sicklyboy needs to come back