Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,
I have a Wii with no softmod installed. After the Health Warning screen it displays the warning "The system menu files are corrupt".
I can start the maintenance mode and initialise the console. After the reconfiguration the warning still appears.
I tried several games and autobootdiscs with my wasabi dx modchip, but no of them starts. I always get a black screen.
Because no softmod is installed, i have no priiloader or bootmii.

i also have no backup or keys. So no chance with a infectus chip.
It is an console with no possibility to install bootmii in boot2 (LEF106*).
The firmware is 4.3E.

Has anyone an idea?

Reactions: alivebacon

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
For people to give you a proper advice we need to know :

- When did the problem appear
- What happened before the problem appeared ( power break , lightning storm , game update ? )

Can acces the Options menu do a Format Wii System Memory ?

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The Wii is not mine. The error came from day to day.
As I described above the error displayed every time after the health warning screen.
I already formatted the system memory without success (also described above)

I already repaired over 150 bricked Wiis (all kind of bricks), but this phenomenon I never had.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Besides system menu format in maintenance mode since no games can load for homebrew, if you can access letterbomb and minimal homebrew to reinstall system menu wad (only) it may unblock something.
Sometimes a hiccup can happen. System Format can 'reset' system menu data, and otherwise reinstalling system menu wad can also clear some data (besides setting.txt and sysconf).
Letterbomb can assist with some homebrew for system menu related things to dump/custom install your wii and tickets.

Where no games will autoboot (like ssbb) and maintenance mode system format doesn't work or letterbomb, and normal boot is crashed, not much more.

EDIT:
System menu boots in maintenance mode and no games work. Could use some minimal sysconf info which is bypassed and is giving error. Erasing this to let wii recreate it can perhaps work, but no way (I know for virtual nand and general BC/BOOT2/System Menu/WAD and specifically setting.txt file are needed and wii can create all again - removing system menu (and removing setting.txt) will brick wii since this file is vital, so only overwrite). System Menu Format can erase/reset SYSCONF where you input all details of Wii and such.

Beyond SYSCONF and setting.txt for basic console serial, region etc, not much more data related to system menu.

Modchips can also sometimes clash with Wii in cases btw. Perhaps remove all mods and try on raw Wii (and also autoboot with gamecube controller in port 4 holding all direction buttons instead of with chip) with WODE/FlatMii Fusion etc.

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't get into the system menu. Neither with modchip nor without.
So I can't use Letterbomb.
Rescue Menu is working, but also no discs (games/autoboot discs) loading. disc is spinning, screen only becomes black.

I have no chance to edit/delete sysconf without homebrew.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Besides trying autoboot with WODE specifically (instead of modchip since this is acting like dvd drive and doesn't have any mod code) assigned to appropriate system menu region information of something like super smash bros brawl (and adjusted duallayer.list) to get homebrew to run, Wii is damaged :S

Get saves off.

Perhaps updating to korean 4.3K with a disc if game has it will fix something and autoboot+swap+ssbb can assist (with WODE) (Will have error 003 - look for error 003 faq).
Wii is useless otherwise.. :)

EDIT:
Maintenance mode affect message board and WC24?
Perhaps WC24 data in /shared2/ is off? Can turn off internet in maintenance mode?

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Internet is standard turned off in maintenance mode. Otherwise I would try to do an online update.
The game discs are successfully identified in maintenance mode, but when I start them, the screen switches black and nothing appear.

You can update a 4.3E Wii to 4.3K with a game disc?

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
If there is game disc with 4.3K?
Not sure atm.
Skyward Sword KOR?

Recovery Mode of holding directions on GC Pad in port 4 can force update if found higher on game disc.

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If there is game disc with 4.3K?
Not sure atm.
Skyward Sword KOR?

Recovery Mode of holding directions on GC Pad in port 4 can force update if found higher on game disc.

Yes, but in my opinion 4.3K is not higher than 4.3E.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu

JAP comes first, then USA, then EUR, then KOR for a system menu.

If you are on JAP, you can force update to USA,EUR,KOR.
If you are on USA, you can force update to EUR,KOR
If you are on EUR, you can force update to KOR

If you are on KOR, you can force update to JAP/USA/EUR/KOR of a higher system menu.

e.g
4.3 = JAP: 512 USA: 513 EUR: 514 KOR: 518

That is the order of numbers and a force update will do so for a higher number - this is how games would semi-brick on usa systems when using a pal game, or pal using usa of higher in modchip days.

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for your infos.
So I have to find a korean game with 4.3K firmware included.

maybe this release? The_Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_KOR_WII-SQUARE

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Yeah.
(Re)installing a System Menu WAD will install general system menu assets and overwrite general info. This can aid in resetting some things (not all - some cache and re-init) and potentially unblock issues.
If something will be clear, an ERROR 003 fix can assist (there are details around for ERROR 003 depending on system menu etc to swap/ssbb, and WODE is recommended with updated duallayer.list for ssbb and edited ID code).

Some games are ideal in their 'continuous loading' areas where you can press HOME, eject the disc, mount another and press reset (using same ID code) to 'swap game'. I know some games have issues with autoboot like SSBB for a specific region (iirc) so the swap is to aid.

Idea is to get SSBB to boot to use the stack smash.

Can try with WODE/Wasabi for KOR SSBB and KOR games to swap (if necessary) or other region ones. Carnival Games is one with continuous loading when it boots (after remote screen) (tested personally).

EDIT:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-fix-korean-4-2-error-003-unauthorized-device-ha.207572/

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I got the game The_Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_KOR_WII-SQUARE and burned it to a dvd-r and a dvd+r disk.
The Wasabi DX ist set to pal region. Autoboot and "any region" is set to on.

First I used a functional Wii with 4.3E and without priiloader. The game isn't identified by the systememnu. Neither the dvd-r nore the dvd+r disk.
What's wrong?
I tried a D2C and a D2E drive.

A PAL game from the same DVD+R disk is working fine.
Same problem with a Wiikey Fusion modchip.
Do I have to patch the iso before?

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Right.. Sorry.

KOR games are 'different'.
They have their own 'common key' separate to JAP/USA/EUR and are present in the KOR IOS' (the 4x numbers) and KOR system info.

Those would work on KOR vnand for example with uneek/neek2o where KOR System Menu and IOS' are present, or homebrew with KOR key to boot direct where IOS4xs are present.

The idea is to hold the buttons on the GC pad in port 4 to boot the recovery menu and perhaps get the update to trigger.
If it refuses from the key issue, then it won't update :S Haven't tried to force update KOR game.
If it can recognize update partition then you can.
Can set chip/WODE etc to KOR to assist recognizing disc as a KOR.

Normally ERROR 003 is from putting alternate region system menu (and updating it also without priiloader/hacks) on KOR.
Not common the other way round.

You can also research those 'recovery discs' which can have an update partition properly done.
There were some 'recovery discs' done with specific update partitions to do things.
Can try with KOR update if it can accept somehow - perhaps ask on IRC, #wiidev on EFNET as possible 'last resort'.

Also, use DVD-R. Wii doesn't like +R in general and has issue from being a little too small (there is size difference with - and +, and Wii is used to - type).

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This I found on the wiikey support page:
"Check your system Menu version. Starting from System Menu 4.2 and onwards a new method of detecting region is used, which cannot be bypassed by Wiikey. The detection is done in such a way that it is no longer possible to achieve region override. This applies to both original discs and backups, regardless of media."

I think therefore it isn't possible any more to update an european pal wii to a korean one.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
It has been some time :)
I mix up sometimes hacked/non hacked Wii ability :)

4.2 with modchips won't boot alternate region games since system menu detects region of game disc being loaded.
Priiloader/GeckoOS can bypass this, and vnand.

While alternate region game discs refuse to load when the system menu is loaded, perhaps forcing the game to update might with recovery mode of holding GC directional buttons in port 4 (when you get black screen before system menu boots and shows system menu information in corner).

Considering you can't boot ssbb or letterbomb and could be hiccup at a time of system data writing, I recommend getting saves off and asking Nintendo to replace (and get gc compatible one if it is) - they can use parts.

You can also remove DVD Drive as one which can use burned discs and put in a newer Wii (with / without GC compatibility - up to you).
Spare parts for SD Slot, fan, gamecube ports (for newer non-gc wii) :)

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can also remove DVD Drive as one which can use burned discs and put in a newer Wii (with / without GC compatibility - up to you).
Spare parts for SD Slot, fan, gamecube ports :)

Because the Wii is not mine, I will send it back to the owner, if I tried all makeable things. :D

On the rescue menu I have two results: (SaveMii)
1. With some games the dvd drive is only spinning a short while and then stopping. the firmware information in the right corner always stays.
2. With other games the drive is spinning all the time. The firmware information disappears. For example SSBB, Wii Party, Donkey Kong Country Returns NSMBW, Tales of Symphonia...
Maybe here is a chance to load some kind of homebrew app.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Only legit way is SSBB if you won't access system menu.
Even with system menu if you copy save games for hacked games like lego ones, you can't get into the game since something in system config is damaged which stops booting of things.

On legit Wii you are left with 1:1 legit (and scrubbed only) ISOs, so no custom signed ISOs and custom updates etc.

Game is refusing to boot completely even when bypassing system menu, which is error in global sysconf/setting.txt. System menu boots with maintenance mode so IOS file for it is there, as well as to show load recovery mode holding GC buttons (savemii).

If there was an official disc with a much higher firmware number for recovery that can force-update and somehow reset sysconf/setting.txt and then downgrade and remove specific IOS used for process, like an official nintendo recovery disc, there isn't much more.

Need to be able to get into ssbb/hack game and/or use maintenance mode to put hack save / letterbomb.
None are possible from these symptoms.

That recovery mode lets you do two things - autoboot, and force install update if it finds one, and legit signed discs.
You can't update since you are on highest, and autoboot fails from not letting things load.

The Wii looks blocked from damaged system information, and no ideal recovery disc like mentioned above :D

Crypto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I made a NAND dump with my infectus chip. Without the keys a cannot decrypt ist, but in the last paart of the file i found a plaint text passage like this:
Code:
0011....ö..w.g..............000000df....ö..þ.K..............content.....ò..U.q..............data.....
...Â.ÿÿÿÿ..............000000de.tikñ.#–.a...¤..........000000fa.tikñ.'..)...¤..........00000026.tikñ.Um.y.............00000014....ö..~.n..............net........
.þ..²ÿÿ..............content.....ò..J.x..
There you can find the filename 000000de.tik, which is the filename of cIOS222. So the wii must have a softmod before or not?

I also find e.g. the filename 000000fe.tik, so bootmii maybe installed as ios.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: might look for one on yt