Restoring Wii goes horribly wrong

traveler558

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an old original white Wii that was moded. It worked, but had some issues with some emulators, and since not knowing what the previous owner did with it. I figure out that the best option would be to restore it and remove the soft mod. I've followed these 2 tutorials:

and backup my Wii NAND and formatted it.
The issue I had is that I couldn't install BootMii on boot2, since it tells me Failed every time, after some research it seems that Nintendo blocked installing BootMii on boot2. So, I used Priiloader thinking that will do the job (I guess not).
After, running BootMii to restore the system from the formatted nand, It ask me to enter the Konami code since I don't have BootMii installed in boot2 (I would have done it but couldn't). The restoration went normal, and when I get back to main menu of BootMii and selected Wii, it showed `No Signal`. There was no signal from the Wii. Apparently, the installation didn't went correctly. And, I can't get into Priiloader using Reset button. The Wii seems to be running fine (loawd fan and green light). But, obviously, nothing works.

I don't know what to do know. Any ideas to solve this problem, or the console is pretty much gone?

Reactions: SylverReZ

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I figure out that the best option would be to restore it and remove the soft mod.
Something does not work? Let's delete everything! That will surely repair the problematic part, right? → :cry:
How is an act of destruction (software side, aka deletion) supposed to repair something?

Nintendo consoles aren't Android phones, where – for whatever reason – this method sometimes works. We are not supposed to be able to damage the software… no surprise there is no intended way for the end user to reinstall the operating system.

My frustration over this knows no end. It happens so often. So many people just delete (and sometimes destroy) everything when there is a problem.
FalconPunch.jpg

BootMii demands entering the Konami-Code for restoration on consoles with newer boot1 because… it is dangerous without guaranteed access to BootMii afterwards. If I remember correctly it even turns the screen red to grab the user's attention for danger via archaic instincts.
======

Whatever you did by following arbitrary videos it wasn't good. the guy who made the first video caught my eyes/ears multiple times for making – in my opinion – suboptimal (being polite here) videos about 3DS hacking. It is true that the NAND builder tool with the horrible name can be used to generate a "virgin" image. No wonder Priiloader is not part of a virgin image.

The only way to repair this damage I know is: Restore a backup from before the destruction with a hardware programmer (advanced soldering skills required). All in all this is the situation we have had countless times; the always repeated solution is: "Just get another Wii!" (as if there was a never ending supply of them).

In any case:

Good luck!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

traveler558

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @KleinesSinchen. I've come to the same conclusion about hardware solution after reading yesterday the Brick/System Menu brick article on wiibrew website. I should've known better, but that is a good expense overall. Doing hardware modification would be more expensive than buying a new one. Any idea about restoring the Wii without restoring the nand, since most Wii's are soft-moded these days and the some times the mod is not done correctly?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any idea about restoring the Wii without restoring the nand, since most Wii's are soft-moded these days and the some times the mod is not done correctly?
Please do not try to repair what is not broken. The problem here is the urge to "start from scratch". Trying to remove softmod to install softmod does not make much sense. You can normally update an outdated softmod as if it wasn't there. Create a Syscheck, then drag+drop on ModMii and you will get told what to do.

If there are any problems it is a better idea to ask for help before wildly trying things. That is a huge issue: You are not the first, second, third, or 20th person to ask for help after it is too late. For the future: You have good chances to find competent help here on GBAtemp (I'm not that much versed with Wii, but others are).

traveler558

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please do not try to repair what is not broken. The problem here is the urge to "start from scratch". Trying to remove softmod to install softmod does not make much sense. You can normally update an outdated softmod as if it wasn't there. Create a Syscheck, then drag+drop on ModMii and you will get told what to do.

If there are any problems it is a better idea to ask for help before wildly trying things. That is a huge issue: You are not the first, second, third, or 20th person to ask for help after it is too late. For the future: You have good chances to find competent help here on GBAtemp (I'm not that much versed with Wii, but others are).
Thanks a lot. You're right, I should've payed more attensions to the warning given, and create a back door. I didn't know what was the issue with the system since most emulators won't work (FCEUltraGX, Snes9xGX, genplus-gx). Obviously, using BootMii to restore a nando won't an option to solve bad moded Wii (other one) for me any time soon, I'll be careful next time.
But, I've read that installing a .wad file can cause similar issue, and that is worrying. I don't install untested wads, but who knows. Any idea about setting up a back door, when you can't install BootMii to boot2?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You have a lot of reading ahead :( But you will get smarter, & that's a great help from GBA support members.

When you sort out your wad & other problems, I suggest you start with Wii games only, & work your way up to GC games. Do more research for other emulator apps & methods. Xanax might be your next best friend ;)
Don't get cocky & start to run before you can crawl & then walk.

Reactions: traveler558

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto