Caoimhin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Have you ever wondered how would it be to play Wii in Space? Without gravity?

I personally think it's not really possible. The sensors in the Wii-mote sense all kinds of forces that affect it, so it also measures the Earth gravity to know if it's going up or down. Now, without gravity it would think that the Wii-mote goes constantly up, because on Earth the up-movement would "negate" the gravity. So in the end it wouldn't be possible to play most of the games (if not even all of them) when being beyond Earth or on another planet.

Are my theories right? What do You think of it?

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
get a nice tv some electircal tape strap down the sensor and tape the wii mote to ur hand ur ready for some wii tennis in space
biggrin.gif

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think your theory makes sense because the axis would be always tilted. I don't know how the axis fully works but it would read you as either tilting it up or down, and you would have to turn the nunchuck/wii remote upside down so the axis would go the other way. I think that makes sense...

Thanatos-Drive

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The disk drive probably wouldn't spin correctly, because the CD would spin one way, and the Wii would spin the other. Likewise, moving your hand to say, throw a punch, would cause you to move backwards just as fast. It also depends on what kind of tilt-sensor is built in.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The sensors in the Wii-mote sense all kinds of forces that affect it, so it also measures the Earth gravity to know if it's going up or down.
The Wiimote would still detect movement, and the pointer function would work, only the tilt sensors wouldn't work. Movement sensors (accelerometres) don't need gravity to work, but the tilt sensors depend on gravity to detect, well, the angle to the ground, and there is no "ground" in zero G. The tilt sensors would go all screwy, and you couldn't play the cow racing game in Wii Play, for example. The Wiimote could detect swings in Wii Tennis, though.

QUOTE(Thanatos-Drive @ Mar 5 2007, 05:43 AM)Likewise, moving your hand to say, throw a punch, would cause you to move backwards just as fast.
Not the same speed, it would push you the other way with the same force. And since the rest of the body is much heavier than just the hand, you wouldn't move nearly as fast. You would jolt backwards slightly, or start spinning, but not that fast.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Just throwin this out there... you guys are huge dorks.
Why? Because we know something about elementary mechanics? Because we are dicussing something other than games? Because we would even show interest in something other than games? Because we can imagine a situation outside everyday life, without the help of a TV? Because we can think and breathe at the same time? Because we spent a fraction of time (shorter than the time it took you to post your worthless piece of spam) mulling the idea over? Or maybe because anything you don't understand must be knowlege posessed only by dorks? Wow. You must be shoulder-deep in dorks all the time, by that definition.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country

just throwin this out there... you might want to be nicer when posting if you ever expect any help from these 'dorks'
now i'm off to play D&D while solving algebra proofs and watching old star trek for continuity errors
rolleyes.gif

btw is it just coincidence that 2 ignorant posts were made by 2 american posters?

bigboy85zz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

just throwin this out there... you might want to be nicer when posting if you ever expect any help from these 'dorks'
now i'm off to play D&D while solving algebra proofs and watching old star trek for continuity errors
rolleyes.gif

btw is it just coincidence that 2 ignorant posts were made by 2 american posters?

yes it was purely coincidence. not all americans are ignorant.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why? Because we know something about elementary mechanics? Because we are dicussing something other than games? Because we would even show interest in something other than games? Because we can imagine a situation outside everyday life, without the help of a TV? Because we can think and breathe at the same time? Because we spent a fraction of time (shorter than the time it took you to post your worthless piece of spam) mulling the idea over? Or maybe because anything you don't understand must be knowlege posessed only by dorks?

Yes
tongue.gif

Sorry Veho, I couldn't resist.

As for answering the question, Veho pretty much summed it all up. However, I have to say, of all my years of learning physics, basic mechanics is the single most mind-numbing topic I've ever encountered (although it is the most useful in the 'real world'). Hmm...

Uselessness FTW!
grog.gif

Caoimhin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
We should write a letter to NASA and ask them to take a Wii on their next space mission, then make lots and lots of tests.

Now... If I were playing Wii on Saturn (or another planet with more gravity than on Earth) or the Moon (less gravity than on Earth), how would it look like? Would there be any changes to playing on our planet?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
-.- I didn't know that the wiimote had tilt sensors. I thought it just had the IR pointer, and the X,Y,Z accelerometer, and used data from the accelerometer to determine tilt. I give Nintendo props.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read on the wiimote. The Chip on board senses the the movement of molecules from right to left inside the actual chipset.

So the question would have to be, what is the effect of molecules in space. If they are effected by gravity, then it is quite possible it will not work at all.

I have never studies molecular activity in gravity less enviroments, so I won't pretend to answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.