Hacking Wii Help - Been out of the loop

FunFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched my Wii in a year or two, and I thought I'd play with it again today.
I tried installing a WAD on it it using some WAD loader, which went successfully.
However, when I try to start the game (Megaman 9), all it does is load for 5-10 seconds, and go back to the Wii menu.
I have a WiiKey, and my firmware is 3.2U, I suspect it has something to do with the firmware, I want to update but I keep reading things that say "DO NOT UPDATE."
I also installed some DVDX and BootMii thing when the Homebrew channel told me to update.
Thanks for any help in advance
smile.gif
!

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
Dude, read one of the sticky guides (like http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 and update to 4.2 - note though, it will break the out of region games and your wiikey won't really work anymore. But with Neogamma, Gecko, USBloaders and if you're brave, CIOSCORP, softmodding is the way to go.

I had a wiikey 1 forever. Then I bricked that wii, got another one, I couldn't fit the wiikey in it, so softmodded. Now I'm running USBloader GX and I love it - bricking my wii was the best thing to happen, other wise I would have stayed with my "dying" wiikey forever!

Take it easy

m

FunFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
megatron_lives said:
Dude, read one of the sticky guides (like http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 and update to 4.2 - note though, it will break the out of region games and your wiikey won't really work anymore. But with Neogamma, Gecko, USBloaders and if you're brave, CIOSCORP, softmodding is the way to go.

I had a wiikey 1 forever. Then I bricked that wii, got another one, I couldn't fit the wiikey in it, so softmodded. Now I'm running USBloader GX and I love it - bricking my wii was the best thing to happen, other wise I would have stayed with my "dying" wiikey.

Take it easy

m
So it breaks out of region games completely?
I do play Japanese games sometimes
frown.gif

The games do I do play now work fine I really just want to get Megaman 9 to work for the time being.
Thanks for replying
smile.gif

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
It does break out of region games for mod chips, but only on 4.2. 4.1 and pre-firmwares, you're ok.

I'm assuming (don't have it) that megaman is a wiiware title? If so, have a look at Triiforce - that may help you run this game on your current firmware - then you won't have to update if you don't want to

FunFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
megatron_lives said:
It does break out of region games for mod chips, but only on 4.2. 4.1 and pre-firmwares, you're ok.

I'm assuming (don't have it) that megaman is a wiiware title? If so, have a look at Triiforce - that may help you run this game on your current firmware - then you won't have to update if you don't want to

Looking at the requirements for Triiforce, it says:
QUOTE said:
Requirements for TriiForce:
- a cIOS installed, rev7 or higher should work
So how would I go about installing cIOS with my WiiKey
wink.gif
? Was that the BootMii thing I installer earlier?

Again, thanks for your help
tongue.gif

Edit: oh, if it's any help I tried to start Triiforce on my Wii anyway and got this error:
CODE
Error: could not get dir entry count!

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
The cIOS have nothing to do with updating your wii firmware. Therefore, find Waninkoko's cIOS38 rev 17 and install it through the homebrew browser. Guides on installing cIOS can be found all over the web.

Bootmii is nothing directly to do with cIOS - it can be installed as one, but it isn't what is required here.

I haven't tried triiforce myself, but I could imagine if you tried to install Triiforce without the cIOS, you'd get this error - not sure if this is true, but seems logical.

Let me know how it goes.

FunFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
megatron_lives said:
The cIOS have nothing to do with updating your wii firmware. Therefore, find Waninkoko's cIOS38 rev 17 and install it through the homebrew browser. Guides on installing cIOS can be found all over the web.

Bootmii is nothing directly to do with cIOS - it can be installed as one, but it isn't what is required here.

I haven't tried triiforce myself, but I could imagine if you tried to install Triiforce without the cIOS, you'd get this error - not sure if this is true, but seems logical.

Let me know how it goes.

Just finished installing it, Megaman 9 works great through Triiforce.
Thanks alot for your help
biggrin.gif
!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0