Wii emulator for PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Lord-x, Sep 20, 2010.

Sep 20, 2010

Wii emulator for PS3 by Lord-x at 3:23 AM (12,844 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. Lord-x
    OP

Newcomer Lord-x Member

Puerto Rico
    Now that the move is upon us i kind of wonder: coul it be posible to emulate the wii on the ps3? The ps3 is obviously more powerfull than the wii, but is it powerfull enough to have a wii emulator? what do you think?

Update:
    Dolphin-ps3 : a port of the Wii-GameCube emulator on PS3
    shinhalsafar the original developer of porting fceu (NES emulator) and VBA (Game Boy emulator, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance) continues its momentum in the Ports of Nintendo emulators for our greatest pleasure. In fact he has just created a google code page on his new project, porting dolphin emulator on PS3 and Wii GameCube.

You can follow progress on the project HERE
    Of course there will be compelling information, we will not fail you connect.
    Source >>> http://www.logic-sunrise.com/news-182331-d...be-sur-ps3.html

I knew somebody was going to do it!

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Seeing as how the motion sensing is entirely different, no. Even if it is possible, it wouldn't be worth the effort. If you wanna play Wii games, buy a Wii.

3. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yea there would be a bunch of stuff that would complicate it.maybe play games with no motion controls but not mainly ones that rely on motion.

4. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Just because the motion sensing is different doesn't mean it'd be impossible or not worth the effort.

I mean people still want PS2 emulators for the PS3 when you could just buy a cheap PS2.

5. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    Playstation Move?

6. Lord-x
    OP

Newcomer Lord-x Member

Puerto Rico
    Some games like new supermario don't fully use the motion controllers. I think it would be worth a shot. It would be nice to have some wii exclusive games on Ps3.

7. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy

But some games make use of the sensors in the nunchuck, and unfortunately that piece of 'snip' of sony ' navigator ' (which is supposed to act as a nunchuck ) doesn't have any motion sensors, which is a huge defeat in this day and age.

8. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Don´t underrate Wii. For emulate it, you need a hardware like 2 or 3 times more powerful (and PS3 isn´t).

You just look this demo of GameCube:

Do you think PS3 can emulate this?!?!

9. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Aren't the wii controllers using bluetooth and the ps3 has bluetooth as well? I think the controls are the smallest issue, as you could use the wii controllers. And i don't think the processing power is an issue, just look what pc you need to get similar results as a ps3, and then look how well that pc emulates the Wii.

Is there a homebrew ps3 SDK yet? If not, that's the 1st big problem.

10. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Dualshock controller can double as a navigation controller and dualshock controllers have 6axis motion control.

11. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    And how exactly would you manage to emulate a Wii remote + nunchuck using a dualshock controller ?

...Sigh.....

12. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    You're incorrect, the PS3, and even the 360 are way more powerful than you think, you keep underestimating them, when a Wii is hardly any more 'powerful' than an original Xbox.
    And yes, the PS3 could easily render that GameCube demo.. hardly impressive.

13. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    One of the reasons why Wii still has not reached the visual level of Xbox is for the lack of Vertex Shaders to manipulate the way that the geometry and lighting of the scene are produced.

And yes, my DS can render that with DPG-Batch + Moonshell.

14. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Wii max resolution: 720x576(ok, i'm sure it's 640x480, but...) = 414720
    ps3 max resoltion: 1920x1080 = 2073600

I'm not sure if a processor needs to be twice as powerful when processing the double amount of pixels, but i think it's something near. So the ps3 would be about 5 times more powerful than the wii, if both would be maxed out when rendering the same video but in their respective resolution.

Anyways, did i point out that you need a SDK? The next problem i see, is that there isn't full access to the system yet, so you can burry every idea about anything above a SNES emulator for now.

15. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil

The DS wouldn't be 'rendering' the tech demo, it would just be a playback of a recording. I'm talking about rendering stuff in real-time.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_ps3_wii.asp
    If you really think the IBM Broadway, which can only put out a theoretical max of 2.9 GFLOPS of peak processing power is only half or 1/3 as powerful as the Cell or the Xenon, you're just delusional.

Just to compare, the Xenon (360 cpu) can put out a maximum of 57.6 GLOPS of theoretical peak performance power (double-precision), and the Cell can reach a theoretical max of 89.6 GFLOPS total for seven SPEs (double-precision), and that's because one of the PS3's SPEs is always disabled and/or reserved at all times.

16. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I wish people would stop talking about emulating another platform as if just having more CPU/FLOPS/horsepower is the answer. That isn't the problem. The problem is to enumerate all the calls that the source platform will make, and then program the corresponding calls that the destination platform will understand. At least on the PC you could standardize the destination calls on Windows DirectX and HAL. But a Wii port would necessarily need to first enumerate all the calls on that platform, which isn't totally obvious. Then translate those onto the PS3 which no one knows anything about on the hardware level.

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's an introductory barrier. That barrier can and will fall away in time.

The processing/hardware barrier however, will not. It's of more concern for long-term goals.

EDIT: Typos.

18. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Move = Wii remote
    Dualshock3 = Nunchuck.

It's less than ideal, but it has all the hardware it needs to work.

19. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Did you read what I said? You use Move controller for Wiimote, and dualshock for numchuck.

...Sigh...

20. Lord-x
    OP

Newcomer Lord-x Member

Puerto Rico
    So, it might be a matter of time, a lot of time...