Hacking Wii 5.3.2 w/smash bros (can't read disc)

solitaire4eva

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I left gamestop yesterday with a used wii, the first generation model and I bought the Super Smash Bro for Wii-u. The disc is flawless but the system wont' read it. I keep getting the error, invalid disc. I have flipped the system horizontally, upside down, etc... and no luck. Now I have read that updating pass 5.3.2 is not a good idea. Is this a common problem? I have a few days I can return it to gamestop but then my hunt for a 5.3.2 or below firmware will start all over again. Any advice anyone can give me in my situation?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
just to make sure....you do mean a wii-U right....not an original wii, as there is no real "first generation" or "second generation " wii-u consoles

assuming your not stupid, :P next thing would be making sure the region of the console is matching the game you bought, check what FW it says in system settings, it will be something like 5.3.2U or 5.3.2E or 5.3.2J, then check the disc matches that region (U = US, E = EU, J = Japan)

and if the disk matches, next would be testing to see if a different wiiu game reads ok in the system

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: solitaire4eva

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I mean the first Wii-u (White ones with like 4GB instead of the newer models) that were released lol.
My game settings is 5.3.2
just had to make sure :P well check the game region matches your console and you haven't picked up a EU game and a US system or something....then test a different game to make sure its not just a broken laser

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if a different game works ok, it would be worth trying to get a different copy of smash, it may be that the disc you got had been "resurfaced" which i read gamestop do in house.....disc resurfacing can sometimes do more harm than good and make the disc less likely to read properly......but wow it "looks" nice and new :P

i had a similar problem with hyrule warriors from cex (like the uk version of gamestop), when i took it back they said they can run it through the disc resurfacer again.....i just got a refund and bought a new copy on ebay for about the same price

Last edited by gamesquest1,

solitaire4eva

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if a different game works ok, it would be worth trying to get a different copy of smash, it may be that the disc you got had been "resurfaced" which i read gamestop do in house.....disc resurfacing can sometimes do more harm than good and make the disc less likely to read properly......but wow it "looks" nice and new :P

i had a similar problem with hyrule warriors from cex (like the uk version of gamestop), when i took it back they said they can run it through the disc resurfacer again.....i just got a refund and bought a new copy on ebay for about the same price
It's the disc. I got super Mario 3d and that runs perfectly. I'm taking smash back tomorrow for a new one

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the help! Now to get this loadline thong working lol

D

Deleted User

It's almost always the disc. Back in the day I was testing out SM3DW from GameFly, and halfway through the game, the system would just crash. Disc looked flawless, but still crashed.
Got a 2nd copy, worked great. Finnicky discs I guess if handled too much (though go figure: postal service and gamestop)

solitaire4eva

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Systems plays all other disc except Super Smash bros (I went and got a replacement). Well back to the store with this system. Loadiine loaded without any problems but since no SSB access, the backup support is poor lol. Not worth keeping. Thanks everyone!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Systems plays all other disc except Super Smash bros (I went and got a replacement). Well back to the store with this system. Loadiine loaded without any problems but since no SSB access, the backup support is poor lol. Not worth keeping. Thanks everyone!
you sure you dont have like a bugged save data or update install? becuase if you do you would need to delete them in the memory management.

solitaire4eva

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope no update. I am still at 5.3.2U and when I go to Delete all content and settings" and the thing reformats, it is the same thing. Hmmmm I notice when I do setup the internet connection I have to first make the connection and go through the test, then afterwards go back into the connection and set up the DNS blocking address. Okay what I am gonna try is to block the wii's from the internet after a reformat (just in case it is actually tryiing to download an update" then I will setup the connection which will fail the test, then go back and fill in the DNS addresses. Then go and unblock the wiiu from the router so it can have internet connection lol. I will let you know how things are in a few...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock