Wii #2323 - Dragon's Lair Trilogy (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Nov 6, 2010.

Nov 6, 2010
  1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^wiirelease-4925^^

2. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    this took a while for a real scene release. i grabbed a scrubbed copy of it a couple weeks ago.

3. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Yeah, I've had it for a while too.

I've always loved the Dragon's Lair games, as they were home to every arcade in the 80's. I love Don Bleuth animation, and this game is very nostalgic for me. I was surprised how great the resolution is on this Wii port, and it's always great to see these games preserved again and again. This is probably the only game by Destineer that I'll go back to and play in the future.

4. ChrisRX

Member ChrisRX GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Despite this having being ported to every system ever I've never played it before, so I guess this is as good an excuse as any to do so.
    Also, comic sans on the cover art? Blurgh

5. da_rula

Member da_rula GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    This seems to be a very very good port, one of the best ports ever released! Watch this guy testing the game:

6. richy

Newcomer richy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Anyone seen any news about a PAL release for this? I've not found any info about one and it looks like they're not going to bother??

7. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Awesome. The Dragon's Lair and Lair 2 are my favorite games. THanks for sharing. [​IMG]

8. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    HATED these games in the 80s. Along with things like Mad Dog McCree, Pitfighter and Time Traveller it was the game in the arcades that all the casual non-gamers ooh-ed and aah-ed over because of the graphics, ignoring the fact that it was more than twice the price of every other arcade game, when you started playing every go lasted about 10 seconds and it was about as much of a 'game' as a DVD menu is.

Had to walk past the big front of house display advertising these hollow money hoovers and go to the dark and dank bit with the smokers to play stuff like Bubble Bobble and Wonderboy, standing on a milk box my dad would take along so I could reach the controls...

9. Jei

Member Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Brazil
    I remember the age when all game magazines would talk about Dragon's Lair and how awesome it was but I never had the opportunity to play it. I'll surely have a try with this compilation - so many years and it still looks awesome from the video [​IMG]

10. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    I used to play the PC port... man was it awesome [​IMG]

11. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I still have Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp in my cupboard. Awesome game. Might pick this one up.

12. Extremist

Newcomer Extremist Advanced Member

Norway
    EVERYBODY ooh'ed and aah'ed Dragon's Lair when it came out (including YOU)... And casual gamers didn't exist... ("casual non-gamers" ???)

13. ctkxtreme

Member ctkxtreme GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guys, pong is casual, the video game industry is ruined now, everyone go home.

14. da_rula

Germany
    I played all 3 games on that disc. Unfortunately Space Ace is ported badly. The game is full of false cinema placements. Sometimes
    a level is cut off in the middle, sometimes a level appears twice in a row (the second one mirrored), sometimes it mixes up (meaning
    that a level cuts off after 80% and the mirrored one starts) and there are missing scenes overall (like that cutscene with Kimberly at
    the begining of level 2 in that space ship).

Dragons Lair 1 & 2 are perfect ports [​IMG]

15. Shebang

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    How do you play that game? Which button is which action?

16. da_rula

Germany
    You hold your Wii remote sideways, like an NES controller. The "2" button acts as the fire button.

17. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have to say as games these did not age well, but the graphics are timeless and this version is the best you will see short of the actual arcade machine or Daphne emulation. I enjoyed them [​IMG]

Now if they would just go ahead and release Firefox [​IMG] That game never did see a proper home release lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzYKcjwCUvM...feature=related

18. remixer

Newcomer remixer Advanced Member

United States
    you know theres a MAME Version of firefox right ?? .. and there is a Mame emu for WII.... i haven't tried this combo but it could work !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ82pEtUrjI...feature=related

19. ichich56

ichich56 Newbie

Hello!

Im using cfg usbloader and a PAL Console. If i try Force PAL50 or 60 Hz i get an blue screen with the note, invalid video mode.
    I tried some ntsc games earlier and never had any problems.

Any help?

20. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Of course there were casual gamers - the people who went to the seaside mainly for the funfair or the coin pushers and to whom the games were just another thing to put money in. And even as a kid I realised that the visuals didn't make up for the fact that this machine wasn't really even a game. It's basically like entering one long cheat code while watching a cartoon.