Why USA region is called USA?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Jokes aside, idk about how is the world geopolitics teach in USA but I'm use they got used to call their country as "america" as a short name of the country, United Sates of America, like, in here is like Federative republic of Brazil, we just call It Brazil... applies with some countries with idk reason to have longer names xD
also I don't get why don't understand that 'America" is also the name of all the continent, or want to think that it's north and south like a big politic diference (Koreas?) or culture (euro-asia?), or even like a parallel universe (Marvel???)
this also make it sound possessive like " American continent" sound like " the continent ruled by America(country)", maybe this is why teachers don't want to take it as two different things, but I think people in the US are smart enough to don't take te meaning this way :unsure:
and both "sides" started some way, people that weren't from this land come and acted like they even owned it, maybe the reason was different, like getting values to their original country, or making it a new territory of your country, but still too similar to say "it's like asia and Europe" :T

Last edited by Sliter,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

BigPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't recall seeing the usage of USA usage outside of 'Roms' release or some vendor official SDK's, Tools & Firmware updates.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
(well, now stuff are changing .. idk why no give wiiu/wii and 3DS an " last" update that make it region free)
I would bet on past release contracts explicitly or implicitly assuming that games for those consoles being region locked (with the possible exception of the already region free digital games - but they still need separate manual publishing on the eShop)

It would also be hell when it comes to updates bundled with the game (unless they blocked them completely, or were prepared to explain why their foreign game doesn't update the console);

The lesser regions have differences that go beyond bundled languages and a region check (no eShop in China, no Meemverse in China/Taiwan, etc -- although in theory Nintendo mandates developers to check for the presence of these features before blindly calling them)

Some games use hardcoded references to region and language settings (if you enjoy foreign games on 3DS/WiiU you've probably needed region/language spoofing some times). Different regions have different officially selectable languages in the first place

Any update is work to create and work to test, for apparently little reward. (ok, not a good argument since Nintendo usually needs 2 tries to fix exploits :D)

Consider the last feature update for 3DS was 9.6...

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would bet on past release contracts explicitly or implicitly assuming that games for those consoles being region locked (with the possible exception of the already region free digital games - but they still need separate manual publishing on the eShop)

It would also be hell when it comes to updates bundled with the game (unless they blocked them completely, or were prepared to explain why their foreign game doesn't update the console);

The lesser regions have differences that go beyond bundled languages and a region check (no eShop in China, no Meemverse in China/Taiwan, etc -- although in theory Nintendo mandates developers to check for the presence of these features before blindly calling them)

Some games use hardcoded references to region and language settings (if you enjoy foreign games on 3DS/WiiU you've probably needed region/language spoofing some times). Different regions have different officially selectable languages in the first place

Any update is work to create and work to test, for apparently little reward. (ok, not a good argument since Nintendo usually needs 2 tries to fix exploits :D)

Consider the last feature update for 3DS was 9.6...
well, if the hackers can do it(CFW, bot on cart and digital media), I'm sure they can.. I know the problems about korean and and chinese for eur/usa/jpn console but I think they can make an all in one thing XD

Other part, the " why my new euro game don't work on my us console if it's now region free?" probable the new games would not have the lock and also the update needed...
so a " why my old euro game don't work on my us console if it's now region free?" because the console can't recognize it, the way would be update ... isn't it bad as still having the region lock there forever (unless hacked XD)

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Facts:
- The Panama Canal is 77km longer
If you don't know, this is, technically, it's on the thinner part between sea on the american continent
-The border of South and North Koreas are 4km longer
Koreas aren't the same country because of political reasons, but still considered the asia continent... anyways politics is what mostly define the countries nowadays ...
so 77km isn't enough to still be the same continent? lol
I was gonna start a stupid debate so im just gonna delete this.
Don't worry we are here for this XD

also are you from Panama? (I saw the flag there)
How are these things there, on the thinnest part of the america?

Last edited by Sliter,
Reactions: VMM and alexj9626

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Facts:
- The Panama Canal is 77km longer
If you don't know, this is, technically, it's on the thinner part between sea on the american continent
-The border of South and North Koreas are 4km longer
Koreas aren't the same country because of political reasons, but still considered the asia continent... anyways politics is what mostly define the countries nowadays ...
so 77km isn't enough to still be the same continent? lol

Don't worry we are here for this XD

also are you from Panama? (I saw the flag there)
How are these things there, on the thinnest part of the america?

While i agree with you, i think that the reason why some people may say that there are 2 continents is because social/cultural, maybe even political differences.

Yeah im from Panama and tbh things are really good over here. People always complain and stuff but i think we are a really privileged country with little to non "real" problems, like you know, Venezuela and stuff. Im happy with the panamanian life style and you can see lots of foreings over here cause they like that life style.

Last edited by alexj9626,

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
It's the French way of categorizing Continents, instead of the German way.
The French way is taught in Latin-Europe and Latin-America.

is this true? I have never heard about the "french and german" way to categorize Continents. Would you like to explain them?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is this true? I have never heard about the "french and german" way to categorize Continents. Would you like to explain them?
AFAIK, yes it is true. But I will look for some kind of quote.
What I can tell you for sure right now is that in Germany it is taught as in the USA (two different continents for America), and in France it is taught like in Spain and Latin-America (One continent for America)

PS: Also, a curious note, in the 6-Continent model (the French and Latin-American way), Australia is not a continent but just a country inside of the bigger "Oceania" continent, that includes Australia, New Zealand, Polynesia, Micronesia, etc.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: VMM and kumikochan

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
While i agree with you, i think that the reason why some people may say that there are 2 continents is because social/cultural, maybe even political differences.
I told a bit before this .. and I don't agree we are too different to be like this ... we have differences mostly base don the countries that affected more the areas and howthey developed, but most of them that are in a piece of land called " europe" not " that side of europe" " other side of europe" :T

Yeah im from Panama and tbh things are really good over here. People always complain and stuff but i think we are a really privilege country with little to non "real" problems, like you know, Venezuela and stuff. Im happy with the panamanian life style and you can see lots of foreings cause they like that life style.
oh this is interesting o3o
compared to Venezuela most parts o Brazil are also very very fine :x
It's the French way of categorizing Continents, instead of the German way.
The French way is taught in Latin-Europe and Latin-America.
oh interetsing ... this sound more language based
(but they , the " latin" part of america came first! XD should it be america and Anglo-Saxons-americas? /runs XD
Also I heard " Latin america" a lot already so it's not new to me lol like on that piece of box I showed before
upload_2018-3-25_18-20-28-png.118713
This was from the back on an US version 3DS game btw

Last edited by Sliter,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um because American is a major player in the world and a sovereign nation. Canada is its own sovereign nation as well as Canada. they are all separate. That's why the regions. Europe was that way to before the European Union. You also have Russia. Latin americana also separate. Gees dont anyone pay attention in geography class?

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
AFAIK, yes it is true. But I will look for some kind of quote.
What I can tell you for sure right now is that in Germany it is taught as in the USA (two different continents for America), and in France it is taught like in Spain and Latin-America (One continent for America)

Thanks didnt know that. Tbh i didnt even know that in the US they are teach that there are 2 continents.

I told a bit before this .. and I don't agree we are too different to be like this ... we have differences mostly base don the countries that affected more the areas and howthey developed, but most of them that are in a piece of land called " europe" not " that side of europe" " other side of europe" :T

oh this is interesting o3o
compared to Venezuela most parts o Brazil are also very very fine :x

Yeah i agree, just trying to understand why other people do think we are 2 continents.

What i would like to know is when in history we were divided in 2 continents (acording to USA or whoever). Thats my problem. Im not an expert but i dont remember any point where after the decolonization we were divided and treated like 2 continents.

Reactions: Sliter

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States