Hacking Why the big jerk-off with these cards - most people only play/love 3 or 4 games

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've only been legit since i got a 3ds/wii u, every other console - I only purchased a game that is needed for an exploit.

im just as happy (maybe more happy) with being legit as with using my "backups". I appreciate the games more, but I bought so many games that I no longer play any of them, except for mario golf world tour.

i want a sky3ds or a gateway, but at the same time i don't really care that much.

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i have used steam for years, personally i like rom hacking and stuff....i find it fun and enjoyable......you know that personal preference thing people have, its all well and good trying to share your opinion but you dont have to come across a jerk about it and dismiss everything as "crap" because its not to your taste

I was kinda hoping to notify people that all the excitement may not be THAT justified - if you got a cheap gateway card already,ok you're winning, but if these cards are now going to retail at around $100, I'm not sure they're worth it.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Steam is a bad example, by the way. Most of the people who bought games on sale actually never play them :/

Recently, a website gave some statistics and 30% of the games bought on steam are never launched once.

And when I see I bought Far Cry 4 on Uplay and the game is constantly crashing since their last patch, it don't motivate me to buy pc games (paid it 40 dollars)... Finally, I switched to the PS3 version, graphics are not as good but at least, it don't crash.

I agree gateway could do the same, people can get lots of roms and never play it but that's up to them anyway. At least, if they don't play it, they don't lose money, contrary to steam sales.

Gateway cost 60/70 dollars, not 100, it roughly a bit less than the price of two 3DS retail games. Even at 100, it would be quickly profitable, just play three games and it's done.

I can understand you don't find it useful at all if you only play one game a year and if you aren't interested by foreign games, but seems you are in the minority in that case.

But I can confirm that if the 3DS would have been region-free, I would have never bought one, in my case, I don't really care about saving money, it's just the "you fuck me I fuck you" from Nintendo's region-lock.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with the OP, we give these flash carts too much credit. There's only a small handful of games worth playing on the 3DS so we may aswell just buy the 3 or 4 games that we would want to play. (of course the amount of titles you'd want to play is subjective, so don't bother contradict me on that because it's pointless)
Personally I got the Gateway so I could play Smash Bros early (Japanese version), it's much cheaper to get a Gateway card than it is to buy a separate Japanese 3DS for games from that region.
Everything else that Gateway offers is just a bonus.

If you guys cared about games you'd support the developers and buy real copies instead of free-loading.

Reactions: escherbach

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I was kinda hoping to notify people that all the excitement may not be THAT justified - if you got a cheap gateway card already,ok you're winning, but if these cards are now going to retail at around $100, I'm not sure they're worth it.
the "hype" stuff is just for lolz while people wait.....nobody is really THAT excited.....its all just joking around, most of the thread is actually just jokes and stuff.........i certainly hope nobody is crapping their pants and stuff over it, but then again they shouldnt be over any sort of gaming free/cheap or the expensive veriety..........trust people can manage their own lives and their own money.....and personally i got 3 cards for like £50...say about $70 ....although i did get 2 for free....but still $60-$70 is about the average and if people feel thats worth it to them who are we to argue

EDIT. and don't get me wrong i own pretty much every game i want to play legit too, its more for the hell of it for me rom hacks and stuff have always interested me.......but then im not going to moan at people who feel they couldn't afford all the games as lets face it if they cant afford them all its not really lost sales, and second hand sales don't help the devs so you can be pretty sure anyone who can't afford to buy all legit games almost certainly wouldn't be buying legit AND brand new if there was no flash card

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, what a wonderful day to be on GBAtemp. Oh look, a discussion on flashcarts! I bet this thread will be both memorable AND constructive.

Jesus, I hardly know anyone who has played through 10 games on the 3ds system (and equivalent)

What's the fucking point when there are so many freeware/cheap-as-shit tablet games, and Steam do a PC game winter sale where you can buy stuff like Bioshock for about 1 dollar?

(And please don't mention the boring homebrew stuff)

...Whelp, that's enough GBAtemp for the day.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree with the OP, we give these flash carts too much credit. There's only a small handful of games worth playing on the 3DS so we may aswell just buy the 3 or 4 games that we would want to play. (of course the amount of titles you'd want to play is subjective, so don't bother contradict me on that because it's pointless)
Personally I got the Gateway so I could play Smash Bros early (Japanese version), it's much cheaper to get a Gateway card than it is to buy a separate Japanese 3DS for games from that region.

If you guys cared about games you'd support the developers and buy real copies instead of free-loading.

We do (or I do, at least). Why would I bought Pokemon RO/SA and Smash Bros if not? As I can also have them on my gateway).

Though I wouldn't have bought a gateway just to get a game two weeks earlier, I'm not that impatient ^^; (could have started to play pokemon like 10 days before with the rom but still waited my original cart).

By the way, buying a 3DS just for 3/4 games is a waste of money in my opinion, but that's just me :/ I alwas wait until there are like 10 games which interest me before buying a system personally.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
CAUSE I LIVE ON THE EDGE!!!!

My hobbies are woman, danger, blackjack, pokemon & ninjutsu.

i cant carry more than 2 games at once... i need 100+ ON THE GO while i do my hobbies.

did i mention.... im a international spy too.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To put it bluntly, ROMS. Now ROMs are great I really ROMs. Because that's what gaming is about : ROMs. The first consoles played ROMs I think. The NES cartridges had ROMs inside of them. Thats the cool thing. So ROMs are great. I don't care what it is. I've played probably if I were to count I'd say over a million ROMs. And I am under exaggerating. Sure some people say " I don't like ROMs because they are to hard to beat" I say MAN UP and PLAY SOME ROMs. Because honestly who doesn't like a good ROM? One time I remember very clearly I was playing GameBoy Original and this thought occurred to me out of no where. " I wish I could be playing ROMS on this thing." So the very next day I went to my local game dealer and I said " Give me some of your finest ROMS my good sir" And these ROMS he gave me were some of the best ROMS I ever ROMed. Now sure you can say "I dont like roms because there hard to beat" I say SO WHAT GO PLAY SOME ROMS SON"! anyway... thats my take on this whole situation.

By the way anyone know where I can get my hands on some sweet ROMS? Hyperlinks would be appreciated because I hate having to type all those letters.

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
how did this get away from MODERATORS RADAR?

please. this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/
its all we need..

STOP THE GBATEMP JUNGLE!

Maybe because I was being genuine, after consuming 7 cards previously.

Just trying to inform folks - piracy ain't as justified as it used to be - there's a lot of cheap but good stuff available nowadays

Let's see if Gateway keep their prices below two cartridges...

wiiu legend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people so excited about these illegal cards that allow hundreds of games to be played? I mean, you have all the hassle of worrying about system updates, worrying about online play, worrying about save states etc etc

Jesus, I hardly know anyone who has played through 10 games on the 3ds system (and equivalent)

You're not saving that much money, especially if you get four or five games second hand off ebay.

What's the fucking point when there are so many freeware/cheap-as-shit tablet games, and Steam do a PC game winter sale where you can buy stuff like Bioshock for about 1 dollar?

(And please don't mention the boring homebrew stuff)

Im excited to play the games the US has been missing due to region lock like dragon quest rocket slime 3. Also there are many games that i would never dream of buying that you get to try and if you choose support the developer and purchase it.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They won't raise it a lot I suppose, or no one will buy it anymore and it'll be a loss for them. If you remember the DS time, the multiplication of cartridge didn't raised the price, it was the contrary, it completely killed the price. Now, you can find a ds linker (r4/wood firmware) for 5 dollars... when it was between 50 and 100 dollars a few years ago.

Everyone can do what he wants anyway. I personally find it silly to see people buy a new 3DS (200-300 dollars right now, as you have to buy a foreign one) just for a c-stick (which is not supported in 99% of the games for now) and a new 3D function (which was forced to be modified because of a patent or they will have never released 2DS/3DS) when they already have a working 3DS but I don't feel the need to create a thread just for that, they do what they want with their money.

And no, except if you only play one game a year and wait several months before buying a game, it'll never be cheaper than a linker.

I bought Pokemon Ro/SA at the release date, I paid ~40 dollars. I bought Smash Bros at the release date, same, I paid ~40 dollars. Only those two games together cost more than a gateway/sky3ds/whatever linker you want. I'm planning to buy the Majora's Mask remake when it'll be released (though I can play it on PC, on GameCube, on Wii with the VC, but I prefer to play it on 3DS, it's my choice), again it'll cost ~40 dollars, so 120 dollars just for three games and I'll probably find 4-5 more games to buy during the year, which might raise the cost to ~300 dollars (let's say 7 games x 40 dollars, 280 dollars) and I don't even count the few games I bought on the eshop (VC ones) or the few foreign games I pirated (Haikyuu for example) and which are the reason I bought a gateway.

300 dollars, it's roughly the price of 4 gateway, and it's only for a year of gaming so yeah, I can see how it spare money for people using it to download all their games, and even cheap alternatives will never make you spare more money with the same number of games.

And please, let's not call " tablet games" as "video games"... Most of them have no interest (except that take your money with freeplay mode, by the way, south park had a funny episode about that a few weeks ago) and the few that have one are always plagued with bad controls because of the lack of real buttons... It's just awful to play a snes emulator on a smartphone/tablet.

Not to mention piracy can never be justified as games aren't a vital thing, even 20 years ago. And we don't expect people to justify themselves anyway, they do what they want.

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole premise of this thread is so mindlessly stupid that no amount of explanation can help here. Don't even bother

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There ARE people that play more than 3-4 games.. With new cost being around $40 USD... You're getting your moneys worth...

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I assume soon, we could have a new thread, "why netflix? (depending of the subscription you have, it's between 70 and 100 dollars a year) people only people/love 3 or 4 series" :/

And you can adapt that for everything, japanese animation series (Crunchyroll cost near the same as netflix), movies, etc...

And about the homebrew, here's a very promising one : http://gbatemp.net/threads/blargsnes-snes-emulator-for-the-3ds-wip.369900/

I can confirm you that a full working snes emulator alone would worth to buy a gateway in my opinion, even if the gateway raise to 100 dollars :)

Why do you think so much people bought Cubic Ninja (enough to make the price become completely crazy), as the exploit only able to use homebrews? (and it was said far before that it would never allow piracy).

Ok, region lock.

Yeah, I can see that one.

Not been an issue for me, but I can appreciate it may be for people in certain countries.

The region-lock is a big hurdle when you can read japanese, and when you finally buy a new 3DS just to outpass it, you don't really want to give Nintendo anymore money for those foreign games, when you could have avoided to buy another 3DS without this stupid thing.

Reactions: Nightwish

Alocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Deppends A LOT.
-I'm Brazillian for example, i have to pay taxes for imports. Instead paying only 40 dollars for a game i have to play from 80~100 dollars deppending the title... to put simple what i pay for 1 game is what you pay for 2~3 games.
-Minimum wage here is around 400 dollars.
-I bought 3DS mainly to play Monster Hunter. Had to buy a North American 3DS since majority of friends i have are obviously Brazilian.
-Have tons of japanese games that i would like to play and couldn't due region lock. Can't play with Jap friends MH4G due region lock. And i'm not paying 2 times 350$ for a fucking console... Yeah it's whooping 350$ here
-Imported games takes 1~3 months to ship. sometimes 1 year if they get... stuck by customs?
-In japan there is tons of eshop exclusives. That's pretty nice.
-Playing Super Robot Taisen UX 2 months ago, when i saw stupid paid DLC to unlock new stages and another shit...paid DLC to add songs on Taiko no Tatsujin because they put almost no songs in the game, etc...
-lol 3~4 games is the length of games i finished last month lol (Kinki no Magna, gamecenter cx, Shante and nekketsu kouha sp)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1