Why does music today suck?

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Here i am, 14 years old. Listening to electro/glitch hop/dubstep. i still fucking hate trap and all that mainstream shit
What you should hate are those people who ruin a good music genre by adding crappy pop artist remixes to your favorite genre.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
omfg the superiority complex in this thread is downright hilarious

sure, I love the beatles and pink floyd and arctic monkeys and david bowie

but I like kanye too. and adele. and a bunch of others. there are fab artists out there and they'll be what people remember the 2010s as
Kanye used to make sense, now he's just batshit insane.

$120 for a plain white tshirt should be good enough proof of his lyrical genius.

AtlanticBit

Yeh, fuck this
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i personally make music and shit. i love a wide variety of music. good music.
all the nicki mina's and other big asses aka "artists" are bad to me.
i listen from deadmau5 through eminem to imagine dragons.
i hate when people think they're music taste is good just because they listen to stuff no one listens to.
nowadays the music scene is good. the pop scene is bad though. and some of the fat azz bangerz in the dance music scene.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why is music bad nowadays? mostly because people. after all, the content that is made is always chosen by the people listening to it.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Justin beebs, Nikki Minaj, Kanye and a bunch of people need to be smited off this planet for giving Music a bad name.

I totally agree on that.

In a few years I'll have my own kid and I can't give them anything in this day and age that is worth listening or dying for.

You can; just don't search in the iTunes top sales or in the YouTube most viewed videos :P

If there's anyone to blame for this horrible uprise in music, its the younger generation.

Well, while it's terrifying to hear, not only the younger generation likes this music... Of course, you see 13yo fangirls at any One Direction concert, but those millions of album are also bought by a lot of older people...

Personally, I don't really know (or like) any music with lyrics, because I only listen to OSTs... But some OSTs, even on recent games, are really great in my opinion :)

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i personally make music and shit. i love a wide variety of music. good music.
all the nicki mina's and other big asses aka "artists" are bad to me.
i listen from deadmau5 through eminem to imagine dragons.
i hate when people think they're music taste is good just because they listen to stuff no one listens to.
nowadays the music scene is good. the pop scene is bad though. and some of the fat azz bangerz in the dance music scene.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why is music bad nowadays? mostly because people. after all, the content that is made is always chosen by the people listening to it.
More like the majority being the minority.

People will defend their artists and music but where it matters is when you're going to sing that song back to someone where it matters. Like holy shit if you recited some of kanye's lyrics without music, you sound like you're reading from the back of a shampoo bottle while taking a dump.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
24 years old, I love rock, jazz, old school hip hop. Frank Sinatra, Issac Hayes, AC/DC, The Beatles, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Run DMC, Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Ice Cube etc. I could go on, ill always love the rock music, because my grandfather played guitar for like 40 years lol and is obsessed with rock music, I basically grew up listening to that, and I had some family members introduce me to old school rap.

I cant stand music today, people can sneeze into the mic, and it could be a top 5 hit, sure there is good music, but I feel like you have to LOOK for it, back then it seemed like you didn't, the good stuff was always on the radio. Now we gotta hear trash like these guys called young money talk about drugs and "hoes" with complete autotune, its almost like you dont need talent anymore, just be an idiot, disrespect women, and talk about anything, and you could be a millionaire with a hit single. Its just sad, I don't get it, why do you have to look for good music, why is the trash music so popular?
You listen to rap, your opinion is invalid.
Though I do agree that you have to look for good music today.

Reactions: VinsCool and mgrev

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I totally agree on that.

You can; just don't search in the iTunes top sales or in the YouTube most viewed videos :P

Well, while it's terrifying to hear, not only the younger generation likes this music... Of course, you see 13yo fangirls at any One Direction concert, but those millions of album are also bought by a lot of older people...

Personally, I don't really know (or like) any music with lyrics, because I only listen to OSTs... But some OSTs, even on recent games, are really great in my opinion :)

I totally agree on that.

I love game OST and all the songs you enlisted and while that will set up my feels for nostalgia, I don't really know if todays generation will undestand that feel. IDK but here in Phils, most of the parents listen to OD to "support" their kid, so they don't look like the out of place parent. but thanks for the list!

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm clearly waaaay too old for this forum but the good/crap thing goes in cycles as far as I'm concerned, and not just for music. Sometimes there seem to be loads of good tunes out, other times it's all just garbage. Individual perception of good/bad will vary depending on your age, sex and a whole load of other random factors but I guess there will always be new songs coming out that end up being as close to a universally accepted "good" status as you'll ever get.

As someone above said (I think... my memory only lasts about five seconds) we tend to filter out the junk as the years go by and only the really good stuff tends to stand the test of time. I've got compilation albums that are older than some of you on here and it's crazy how some of them are almost like "Best of the 80s/90s/00s" that you could you go and pick up brand new today and others are almost entirely full of songs that would only feature on "NOW That's What I Call Crap That Even The Artists Don't Remember". I swear there are some years when there was nothing but duff track after duff track and other ones where everything [that I remember!] seems to be pure musical gold.

One of my personal irritations is how many songs nowadays are apparently unreleasable unless they're "featuring" somebody other than one artist. Back in the olden days when everything was in black and white and we had to boil a kettle to power our internet connection, you might get one or two [memorable] songs a year where bands and/or singers teamed up to record a song. Nowadays you get "artists" whose entire output is "featuring" someone else on song after song. The fact that they're unable to release a track on their own pretty seems to smack of desperation as far as I'm concerned. It's almost as if they know it won't sell as well so they try and appeal to as wide an audience as possible by shoehorning in more people. It's almost like they're trying to just make as much money as possible. Hmmmm...

Anyway, I'm off out now to the club with my homies to go and drink some Cristal whilst watchin' the hoes. Or something.

Reactions: VinsCool

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed today music sucks, most are then are stolen samples from older classic's and allot off those "1 day fly" numbers.
Do what now?

(1946 that by the way)

I could go on like this for a while but for the sake of an already heavy youtube embed thread I will leave it there.

Actually I will go one further

Perhaps not that notable but should I link

Beyond that though sampling, public domain (copyright was not always the lifetimes it is today) and such is a time honoured way of setting about things.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Christ. People like different kinds of music, okay? I can't stand dubstep, but that doesn't mean I think people are idiots for liking dubstep. And as for why music is "worse" these days, well it's easy to remember to highlights of a period of time and forget all the crap that was released. Or maybe you just prefer music from that era, and music really is worse these days, in your opinion. But clearly other people disagree, considering, you know, musicians make millions of dollars in 2015. And you can whine and cry about studios writing corporate songs and how it was more soulful in the good old days or whatever, but tough shit, because some (read: billions of) people like it.

I swear, people who get all uppity about music are exactly like the parents in the 50s who thought rock and roll was evil.

Reactions: ihaveahax

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
The only "music was better back when" thing I have ever seen stand up to scrutiny was my pet theory that no music during the 80's was good if the artist in question was not otherwise established before then. The period had plenty of good music but nobody seems to be able to find some from someone that rose up during that time.

http://www.thestoneroses.org/

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
Justin beebs, Nikki Minaj, Kanye and a bunch of people need to be smited off this planet for giving Music a bad name. In a few years I'll have my own kid and I can't give them anything in this day and age that is worth listening or dying for.

If there's anyone to blame for this horrible uprise in music, its the younger generation.

Like holy shit, I miss when music ACTUALLY had lyrics.

There's a lot of interesting stuff out there that's come out in the past 5 years. I'm sure you're not looking hard enough. Don't forget your kid's taste in music might not be anything similar to yours and you're keeping him from all the supposedly good stuff he could be listening to.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I listen to is 80s-90s rap plus post 2000 stuff (save for a few mainly underground)

But I also like a lot of the current pop music provided that it's catchy and I like it (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift for example are on my playlists) yet other than that I really don't like any other non hip hop music (even the stones, Beatles, and those groups) but hey I love my hip hop and its enough for me.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most nearly everything now a days is co-modified, mass manufactured, a trope, a mere shadow of what was yesterday, programmed by cats who don't have the spirit, who don't understand the language of the soul. It's social engineering, generational conditioning, the works of the pied piper to lead the sheep, the consumer down certain consumption paths, towards harbouring certain feelings and perspectives, trained to respond in a certain set of ways, conditioned to fear question and authentic liberation.

It's bread and circuses all but with different technologies and on a grander scale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: Just started God of War 2 on the PS2