Hacking Why do we need backup launcher version .1?

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see that djtaz has a howto section to get .1 loaded so we can now run both versions. Whats the benefit of this?

Also what is softchip backuplauncher? and do i have to wait for version .4 for warioland shake it to work?

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
mikej3131 said:
i see that djtaz has a howto section to get .1 loaded so we can now run both versions. Whats the benefit of this?

Also what is softchip backuplauncher? and do i have to wait for version .4 for warioland shake it to work?

some games that worked with v0.1 and didn't work with v0.3 is the reason to have both loaders up and running at least til Wiigators new release get ready , the softchip one is a bugfix kind of and it still in beta as well , warioland is working according to a post somewhere on the softchip thread just look for it , I don't have it on hand so I cann't tell you .

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
At the moment you don't need it. You don't ever need any backuploader. There are some games not working with 0.3b, but working with 0.1. If you want to use a 0.1 loader try my mod. You can find it here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112885

SoftChip is another loader using the same cios and dip module as Wiigator's 0.3(should be an exact match which games work and which not, but this is just a suggestion). It only has 1:1 compatibility, but is very promising.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BIG MOE said:
mikej3131 said:

some games that worked with v0.1 and didn't work with v0.3 is the reason to have both loaders up and running at least til Wiigators new release get ready , the softchip one is a bugfix kind of and it still in beta as well , warioland is working according to a post somewhere on the softchip thread just look for it , I don't have it on hand so I cann't tell you .

SoftChip isn't a bugfix! It's a completely new written loader!

There's a bugfix for the 0.3b loader, which solves many issues which appear in the middle of the games.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As above , all credit for that goes to WiiPower.

My system is slightly different but its based on the same idea and i think WiiPowers works for more people and more games

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
djtaz said:
As above , all credit for that goes to WiiPower.

My system is slightly different but its based on the same idea and i think WiiPowers works for more people and more games

Sorry, but i had just a simple idea and coded something(very simple) together. The only things really worth credit are Wiigator's loader and cios on the one side and the bugfix by requiem4d on the other side.

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm ok so many diff answers. let me ask a more simple question. I used djtaz's howto to get backuplauncher .3 on my wii about a week ago. Now what would be the best thing for me to do in terms of compatibility with games? Is the softchip going to give me a much better compatibility if i use that? I want to backup my warioland shake it for sure

and what is this bugfix you keep mentioning. what was the bug?

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
WiiPower said:
BIG MOE said:
mikej3131 said:

SoftChip isn't a bugfix! It's a completely new written loader!

There's a bugfix for the 0.3b loader, which solves many issues which appear in the middle of the games.

sorry I thought v0.3b the one he was talking about , thanks for correcting me .

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oops i think i instaklled the .3 alpha. how do i check which version i have?

i think this because when i used djtaz's setup, this is what i clicked on to get the files
Oct 23rd UPDATE FIX : (new) Here
Filename : 3.3u_Update_Fix_____WITH_out______IOS16.zip

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Best compatibilty would be achived when you use 0.3 cIOS for Wiigator 0.3b and cios_fix(0.1 cIOS) for Wiigator 0.1. Just make sure your loader "points" to the right IOS.

I recommend the setup as i described it here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112885

Be sure to grab an Wiigator 0.3b entryholder fix version for 0.3b.

With "my setup" you would also have the advantage to use Waninkoko's loader and SoftChip(if you are able to compile it by yourself to use IOS247) too.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The entryholder stored the entrypoint for the loader in the memory with this:
memcpy((void*)0x817f0000, entryholder, 4); // entrypoint

The fix is to remove it completely, because it's not needed. It fixes several issues with many games. For example Disaster:Day of Crisis stage 8 crash and some others in other games appearing somewhere during gameplay.

knowitall599

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a misunderstanding and it is not necessarily the complete truth. This is understandable, but I believe someone is overlooking something of why this works; some games like SSX Blur still do not work. My fix may, in time, answer this question this question and many more as they emerge.

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm no reply/answer for me
frown.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
mikej3131 said:
hmm no reply/answer for me
frown.gif

Just stick to my guide if you want both 0.1 and 0.3b:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112885

IOS247 for 0.3b and IOS249 for 0.1. This way you can use Waninkoko's loader too. If you can compile it yourself or you can get somebody doing it for you, you could persue SoftChip to use IOS247(works fo me) and this will work, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.