Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Haven't done it yet. It took me a while to success installing my 1st CFW long time ago. I'm currently too lazy to hack my 3DS again with another method.
I also like the 'dual boot' with a clean sysNand and an emunand that i can destroy by doing shit without harming the 3DS \o/

But i think i'll give a try to the GW A9HL thing when i'll figure out what it is exactly. 1st i'll try to understand what is this thing exactly and what it does launch on 3DS boot. I like my CTRBoostManager and if having some A9HL thing on the 3DS means that i'm stuck with 1 CFW only, i'm not sure i want it.

I also have no idea about what happens to the emunand if i install the A9HL thing. I can't remember but i'm almost sure that i transfered all my legal stuff on the current emuNand i have.

Last edited by koyuki38,

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
Haven't done it yet. It took me a while to success installing my 1st CFW long time ago. I'm currently too lazy to hack my 3DS again with another method.
Believe me, if you use Plailect's guide, its pretty easy to understand and short.

But i think i'll give a try to the GW A9HL thing when i'll figure out what it is exactly. 1st i'll try to understand what is this thing exactly and what it does launch on 3DS boot. I like my CTRBoostManager and if having some A9HL thing on the 3DS means that i'm stuck with 1 CFW only, i'm not sure i want it.
Gateway is gonna release A9LH Support n 22 May IIRC

I also have no idea about what happens to the emunand if i install the A9HL thing. I can't remember but i'm almost sure that i transfered all my legal stuff on the current emuNand i have.
You can choose to keep you EmuNAND, or save ~1GB space on your SD Card by moving it to sysNAND.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also like the 'dual boot' with a clean sysNand and an emunand that i can destroy by doing shit without harming the 3DS \o/

But i think i'll give a try to the GW A9HL thing when i'll figure out what it is exactly. 1st i'll try to understand what is this thing exactly and what it does launch on 3DS boot.

You can't really harm the 3DS after installing A9LH. It is basically an entry point that loads very early so, even if say your SysNAND is soft bricked, you can still recover it since A9LH loads before that.

I like my CTRBoostManager and if having some A9HL thing on the 3DS means that i'm stuck with 1 CFW only, i'm not sure i want it.

A9LH loads whatever YOU want. By default you can make it load SysNAND with a CFW, an EmuNAND/RedNAND with a CFW, or use CtrBootManager for A9LH. It's just a matter of dropping a few files on the SD card.

You can see it as a MenuHax/ThemeHax that is permanent, gives you brick protection and the system boots in 6-8 seconds with a 100% boot rate. Your 3DS looks just like a non-modified 3DS. :)

Reactions: astronautlevel

Merik2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesnt seem my reason is listed in the poll. Keeping clear of it because it just seems like the kind of thing Nintendo is bound to break in hilarious fashion.

D

Deleted-379826

Doesnt seem my reason is listed in the poll. Keeping clear of it because it just seems like the kind of thing Nintendo is bound to break in hilarious fashion.
But they can't lmao and even if they could it would HAVE to be in a new update which we would be warned about

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France

The part where A9LH is written (FIRM) is protected by the CFW (unless you use some obscure stuff). It means that it cannot get overwritten by a regular system update.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You CAN still boot to emunand on a9lh, just that most people choose not to. If memory serves, this is actually just a check box in Luma's setup. You will still see the benefits of decreased boot times, additional stability (I.e. no more random boot failures), and you will be able to boot directly to other things, should the need arise.

Last edited by dubbz82,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<citations here>
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Chevrolet-Citation-1980.png

Sorry, had to.

On a more serious note though, a9lh ISN'T likely to be broken in "hilarious fashion", as the boot files are protected, and can't easily be overwritten, unless Nintendo manages to push out a potentially dangerous update to do a wholesale overwrite of the entire NAND...the last time they tried to do something like that was on the Wii, and it ended up biting them in the ass bigtime, as numerous legitimate systems ended up bricking from that update (I believe it was 4.1 or 4.2 that caused this issue, if memory serves correctly)

Last edited by dubbz82,

protomouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been meaning to get around to it. At the beginning, I was waiting for stable tools and documentation (which we now have, thanks to the efforts of awesome people). The northern summer is upon us, making it a rather inopportune time to ship a bricked console off for modding.

I can't just follow a guide (even a well-written one) without having better understanding of the tools. To that end, I dive into the source code and read through each release/support thread. This is especially relevant since my 3DS isn't a clean slate. I'm more than a bit behind on the current state of the 3DS scene.

The "master race" thing is fun until you start making threads for the purpose of enumerating the "peasants".

Reactions: Deleted User

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
I've been meaning to get around to it. At the beginning, I was waiting for stable tools and documentation (which we now have, thanks to the efforts of awesome people). The northern summer is upon us, making it a rather inopportune time to ship a bricked console off for modding.

I can't just follow a guide (even a well-written one) without having better understanding of the tools. To that end, I dive into the source code and read through each release/support thread. This is especially relevant since my 3DS isn't a clean slate. I'm more than a bit behind on the current state of the 3DS scene.

The "master race" thing is fun until you start making threads for the purpose of enumerating the "peasants".
Okay. So I'd like to clear this, but thread is NOT to make fun of Menuhax users. This thread is just for reviewing people's reasons for not installing the best CFW entry point there is on the 3DS. I'm proud that I have installed a9lh, but I won't make fun of any1 because of that. If I did, please forgive me.
Yes there are people who find it difficult to follow guides properly, are lazy, or are afraid of losing their dear console(especially the ones who have only one console). Well it is their console, and hence their choice what they do with it. There is no compulsion for anybody to install arm9loaderhax. It is just recommended because of the advantages it has. People have spent hours working on it, just because it's pretty good, and ensures brick protection without a hardmod.

Last edited by Salamencizer,
Reactions: Deleted User

protomouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay. So I'd like to clear this, but thread is NOT to make fun of Menuhax users. This thread is just for reviewing people's reasons for not installing the best CFW entry point there is on the 3DS. I'm proud that I have installed a9lh, but I won't make fun of any1 because of that. If I did, please forgive me.

Nah, I wasn't talking about this thread. This is fine, even great. Interesting to hear where different people are coming from.

I was specifically referring to a thread linked here earlier.

ElyosOfTheAbyss

Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming you shut down the 3ds every day and play it twice a day means over the course of a year you loose over 2 hours waiting for boot up using menuhax vs a9lh. Bummer...lol
I don't really mind waiting just under 20 seconds for it to boot, menuhax does what I need it to do and thats all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!