Ledah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wich is the best? A hack PSP or a DS with an R4 In terms of homebrews.
FOr example:
-for chatting
-for navigating with a browser
-for listen to music
-for watching videos (excluding the fact that the psp screen is panoramic and better than the psp)
-for emulating nes, supernes, and n64 games
-for homebrew games
-etc.

PD.:My brother has a hacked psp, and I personally don't like the games. I prefer ds games, but im kind of worried about the homebrews and other functions.
PD2:My apologies for my bad english.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ledah said:
FOr example:
-for chatting: Not sure.
-for navigating with a browser: PSP
-for listen to music: PSP. The DS has a very sub-par sound quality.
-for watching videos (excluding the fact that the psp screen is panoramic and better than the psp): PSP wins again.
-for emulating nes, supernes, and n64 games: PSP
-for homebrew games: PSP
-etc. : DS

PD.:My brother has a hacked psp, and I personally don't like the games. I prefer ds games, but im kind of worried about the homebrews and other functions.

Ledah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ojsinnerz said:
Ledah said:
FOr example:
-for watching videos (excluding the fact that the psp screen is panoramic and better than the psp): PSP wins again.

???
Your silence tell me everything.
O.o

evoo1

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah PSP wins that duell. It's just the more powerful handheld, and the more resources, the more creativity you can turn into a program
wink.gif

though, Phidias and Colors would suck on PSP, just as every other homebrew that works because of the Stylus.

Da-Huntha

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lostmoment.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ledah said:
ojsinnerz said:
Ledah said:
FOr example:

???
O.o

Look at all the fat stuff he added to the quote.
sleep.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ledah said:
ojsinnerz said:
Ledah said:
FOr example:

???
O.o
Observe the above changes from your original post.

I also believe that PSP wins due to the fact that it's much more powerful.

Edit: Beaten to it...

Ledah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Minox_IX said:
Ledah said:
ojsinnerz said:
Ledah said:
FOr example:

???
O.o
Observe the above changes from your original post.

I also believe that PSP wins due to the fact that it's much more powerful.

Edit: Beaten to it...

Lol, "Etc.: DS".
Thanks for replying xD.
I think you're right.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ledah said:
FOr example:
-for chatting
-for listen to music
-for watching videos (excluding the fact that the psp screen is panoramic and better than the psp)
-for homebrew games
-etc.

Chatting: NDS, touch screen is WAY better.
Navigating with a browser: PSP, the NDS ones just aren't as good as the PSP one.
Listen to Music: PSP.
Watching videos: PSP.
Emulation: PSP.
Homebrew Games: Depends.
Etc: DS.

Remember that games on PSP mostly suck. It's only good for emulating and these other things.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
-for chatting

I suppose the DS for that one as you can use the touch screen keyboard rather than having to use buttons to type, beup is probably the best software to demonstrate this

Well the PSP has more RAM so you can load web pages much faster than on a DS, but if you wanted to scroll around the screen it would probably be easier with the stylus

-for listen to music

I'd say it's a draw, even though you don't need to install any extra programs on a PSP in order to play music, if you use LMP-ng on the DS it's dead easy to navigate and stuff, and I personally love it!

It depends on the flash cart, I know that we're specifically talking about the R4 but I've never owned one, I myself own a G6 real and a DS TT, the G6 has video playback capability (in DPG format) but for the DS TT you have to download moonshell, which doesn't play videos so well (it distorts the quality) so if it has built in video playback capabilities, then its the same as PSP I'd say, but if you need to download moonshell for it, then PSP wins

I'd say the PSP wins hands down here, it's just so much more powerful, the DS can emulate only a handful of SNES games whereas the PSP can emulate every PS1 game and can slowly emulate some N64 games

-for homebrew games

I'm not familiar with the PSP homebrew games library so I won't comment on that one, but as far as DS homebrew games go, i've never really seen one that impresses me (except for Whee!DS2)

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
The DS has MUCH better games. The PSP has barely any good games (I'd say below 10), but the games have very good graphics. Also, homebrew/multimedia wise, the PSP is much better than the DS. It's able to play SNES/NES/GB/GBC/GBA/Sega consoles, etc. Plays excellent audio and video, has some amazing homerew.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Warcueid said:
The DS has MUCH better games. The PSP has barely any good games (I'd say below 10), but the games have very good graphics. Also, homebrew/multimedia wise, the PSP is much better than the DS. It's able to play SNES/NES/GB/GBC/GBA/Sega consoles, etc. Plays excellent audio and video, has some amazing homerew.

In my list, there's 15. Still, the DS does have a much bigger library. And as for the rest of the stuff you said, it's very true.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PSP is dying as sony makes way for the PSP 2, but it is an excellent platform for homebrew due to it's sheer power, ease to code for in comparison to the DS, and a number of other factors.

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
-for chatting: DS
-for listen to music: PSP
-for watching videos: PSP
-etc. : both

Ledah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
imz said:
-for chatting

I suppose the DS for that one as you can use the touch screen keyboard rather than having to use buttons to type, beup is probably the best software to demonstrate this

... ... ... ... [OUTPUT CUT xD]

I'd say the PSP wins hands down here, it's just so much more powerful, the DS can emulate only a handful of SNES games whereas the PSP can emulate every PS1 game and can slowly emulate some N64 games

-for homebrew games

I'm not familiar with the PSP homebrew games library so I won't comment on that one, but as far as DS homebrew games go, i've never really seen one that impresses me (except for Whee!DS2)
Nice post!
Thanks xD

Warcueid said:
ojsinnerz said:
QUOTE(Warcueid @ Jul 27 2008, 10:32 PM)
In my list, there's 15. Still, the DS does have a much bigger library. And as for the rest of the stuff you said, it's very true.
Im with you tow guys. The psp is better in terms of "power", but i don't know why there isn't too much well designed psp games
:S

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Just thought I'd go more in-depth about my explanations, since I've had both a PSP Phat and Slim, as well as a DS Phat and Lite. I also prefer portable gaming instead of console gaming, and I've been a fan of handhelds ever since the GB.

Ledah said:
FOr example:
-for chatting

I honestly think that the PSP is better for chatting. The only reason is because I'm used to using a keyboard to chat, and not using the stylus. Besides, I prefer the bigger screen provided by the PSP so I can see the text better, but that's just me. Also, the PSP has Skype, which is pretty cool to have on a console. But if Skype is not your thing and you like using the stylus to chat, then the DS wins this one.

The PSP, hands down. The original DS browser is crap, especially when compared to the PSP. Plus, no flashcard browsers can even compare to the PSP. The PSP user interface is beautiful, easy to use, has TONS of customization options, and has access to lots of cool features. Sometimes I turn on my PSP just to mess around in the XMB. :3

-for listen to music
The PSP. It natively supports music playing, unlike the DS. The sound of the music is great, rivaling that of the current MP3 players out there in the market. The DS sounds pretty bad if used for music (IMO), and the user interface is nothing like that of the PSP.

Let me just ask you this. Have you SEEN what videos look like in .dpg? 'Nuff said. The PSP supports other fle types, and looks way better. It's actually enjoyable to watch movies in it.

PSP. It supports full speed NES/SNES/GBC/GBA/ and the other lesser known systems. I only use it to play GBA, and it's incredible. You cna stretch out the image to fit the PSP's screen, and the games look really good. It supports cheats and full speed for all games, as far as I know. I've never had a problem with any game I've thrown at it.

-for homebrew games
I'd say the PSP, but that's purely a personal choice. On the DS, the only good homebrew games I have found that are as fun as real games are Meteora and Warcraft Tower Defense. On the other hand, the PSP has some really fun homebrew, like Counter Strike, PSP Revolution (which, for me, is literally HOURS of fun), Cave Story, CSPSP, Doom, and there are many others I haven't tried yet.
-etc.

Now, game-wise, the DS DESTROYS the PSP. Honestly, the PSP has horrible games. They are all crappy remakes, except for the MAYBE 7 or 8 good games it has. I really don't know what went wrong, because it could have been such an awesome console... but the games are horrible. Other than the staple Crisis Core, Janne D'Arc, GoW:CoO, and maybe Dissidia and Birth by Sleep (which aren't even out yet), I can't think of any other good games off the top of my head. On the other hand, I can think of at LEAST 10 good games for the DS right off the top of my head, without even looking at my flashcart. The games for the DS may not be high-quality and "epic", but they are innovative, fun, and original. I must have at least 70 games in my computer for my DS that I'm still waiting to play.

MegamanSPX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DrKupo said:
The PSP is dying as sony makes way for the PSP 2, but it is an excellent platform for homebrew due to it's sheer power, ease to code for in comparison to the DS, and a number of other factors.

Huh? PSP 2? You mean the PSP slim?

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
MegamanSPX said:
DrKupo said:

Huh? PSP 2? You mean the PSP slim?
There's a rumor (well, I guess it's not anymore since pparently there's pictures of the thing...) going around about a new series in the PSP models, a PSP-3000. People are just calling it PSP2 because we don't know what it is yet.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you sure Sony are going to release another PSP? The way this one has flopped... Well, I suppose they have to compete in some capacity, even if the PSP is just selling to the homebrew crowd now anyway. I don't own a PSP, but I was away with my friend for about a week and he had one. The PSP is a very slim, sexy machine with almost no quality games. Sony has no direction with their PSP, and Activision has said that unless SONY gets some direction, they're not releasing any more PSP games.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Private|Parts said:
Are you sure Sony are going to release another PSP? The way this one has flopped... Well, I suppose they have to compete in some capacity, even if the PSP is just selling to the homebrew crowd now anyway. I don't own a PSP, but I was away with my friend for about a week and he had one. The PSP is a very slim, sexy machine with almost no quality games. Sony has no direction with their PSP, and Activision has said that unless SONY gets some direction, they're not releasing any more PSP games.

Nah, I think sony will release a whole new handheld altogether, and maybe microsoft will enter the portable realm, if they can squash an XBOX 360 into a portable then why not? (probably not for the next 20 years or so
blink.gif
) Nintendo should step up hardware-wise and make the system able to play games like the ps2 or XBOX, but I think they should keep the dual screen-touch format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro