Which games, or should I flash?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by dmonkey21, Feb 17, 2008.

Feb 17, 2008
  1. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi I just got a new job and am thinking of buying a 360 w/ the extra money. I was looking at some games to buy, and I was wondering what you all thought, or if I should get a modchip/flashed xbox. I REALLY wouldn't want to get banned from live, and if modding MIGHT do so I think I wan't to stear clear, at least until I could buy a non-banned Arcade Edition. The games I was looking at were Gears, Halo 3, COD:4, and MAYBE Assassins Creed, but I was thinking to rent that because it has no live. I was also thinking maybe of Orange Box and maybe Mass Effect, but I've played and beaten all of the games except for TF2 already, and I don't know that much about mass effect and what have seen doesn't seem all that great to me. Any suggestions on games?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get the holiday bundle, because I've found some good deals for the holiday bundle and since they can only be like around 4 months old I was thinking of getting one, but they are all on ebay and will probly not last.

2. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Dont flash ur 360. If u get a bad game you found online, there are a great amount of chances u will get banned on xbox live. And xbox live is pretty much the heart of the game. And support xbox =O

3. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If you check your backup every time before you play, you should be fine. There are a lot of great games on the 360. I've had so much fun since I've flashed my 360.

4. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    how this "checking" will prevent him from banning on-line?

5. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    ps3......

6. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Because at the moment Microsoft check certain things on the disc (Video partition , DMI , PFI , SS and crc) , if they don't match what they should , then ban. Certain programs check the image to make sure everything is correct and can even crc check against a known good dump of the original. So latest firmware + good images = safe in theory.

How ever Microsoft can add to what they check and catch people out (has happened in past) , then a new firmware has to come along to fix the issue and the cycle continues.

7. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Armadillo, As you are aware, there are some blocks in original disc that is not possible to imitate via dvd writers, they can easily just scan for those.

8. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    They can't , that's the whole point of the hacked firmware. To imitate an original disc. The SS lies outside the range a dvd drive can burn , the copied discs have it relocated to somewhere you can burn , then the hacked firmware looks there instead. Anything that can't be burned by a writer can be relocated to somewhere it can be or just imitated by the firmware.

If if was just a simple case of scanning for stuff that a burner can't replicate , do you not think in the two years the xbox has been out Microsoft would of done that by now and ended the copies on live?

Instead of constantly going through

Change A = Bans , New firmware comes out
    Change B = More bans , Another new hacked firmware comes out
    Change C = More bans , new firmware again.

9. Duke_Jay

Member Duke_Jay GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Just make sure you have a good website to get your games from, I am still using the old 1.11 Ixtreme BenQ firmware, and I am playing CoD 4 for 2 months now and I have not been banned yet. Just make sure you check every game you download with Xdvdmulleter and Kreonchecker and you should be fine.

10. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Errr, ok... from the first reply I had already ruled out flashing lol.
    Any game suggestions would help...

And BoneMonkey, REPENT!!!!!!!!!!!

11. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Dude don't let that guy scare you off from flashing. If you're strapped for cash, like me especially with a baby on the way, then you'll save a SHITLOAD of money. I personally think its worth the risk. If you make sure your backups are good then you're good to go.