Which DS screen to get?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Cait, Nov 6, 2011.

Nov 6, 2011

Which DS screen to get? by Cait at 2:45 AM (453 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Cait
    OP

Newcomer Cait Member

United States
    http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aa608a713

I was thinking about getting that.. it's like less than $3, and comes with the screwdrivers to replace it..

My bottom screen has lost its ability to use touch... the screen itself still works good though.

Has anyone used these cheap ones? Do they work ok?

I'm pretty much getting one to fix up a DSL I bought to resell...

------------

Also, The DSL i got.. The top screen seems to.... have some sort of image burned onto it, or something? You can only see it when it goes to "black" Screens, and seems sort of like a big logo (Just an outline)

It has a custom case on it (transparent) so I can assume that someone has taken this apart already... are there certain types of screens that burn like that? Or maybe its a cable error?

Also, I can't find any top screens for sale, only bottom.. are they called anything different?

----

Any other tips as far as taking it apart or anything. I've never taken a DS apart, but many other things :)

Thanks!!

2. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Comrade, one of them is a touch screen. one is not. They are completely different.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Should work fine. For my touch screen replacement I used:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/touch-screen-replacement-module-for-nds-lite-3245

Screw drivers from the same site are a buck 45 USD, all free shipping. Touch screen replacement (this one, at least) is NOT glossy like the OEM one. You may or may not like that. However, screen protectors adhere without a problem to it, completely resolving that issue, which is what I did.

As far as top screen goes:
    Screen - need to solder the speakers on yourself - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/tft-lcd-replacement-module-for-nds-lite-upper-screen-3161

I know DX used to sell the screens with the speakers already soldered on, for like 15 bucks, but I can't find it anymore >:( Anyway, transferring the speakers isn't hard. As long as you have a soldering iron (you OUGHT to... if not, go to Radio Shack or Harbor Freight and pick one up for 15 bucks, a 30w one will do you just fine for this. 20w would likely be better, less chance of burning things) and some rosin core solder (paste flux will likely be useful too). Heat up your iron and heat the solder on the old screen once it is removed to remove each speaker wire, then solder them back into the same spot on the new screen and reinstall the new screen. Entire process of transplanting the speakers, including heating the iron, should take no more than 10 minutes if you have a good idea of what you are doing. If not, grab some speaker wire or something and test soldering things together a few times and heating the solder enough to pull them back apart without damaging anything (the solder will be hot enough that you can separate them with no force. If you need to even try to apply force, it isn't melted.)

4. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    One is a dogiatalizer FOR the touchscreen.

Anyways I use DX cause it's cheap. Just get ready to wait for a month.