Where to go in Tokyo in December ?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Youkai, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Youkai
    OP

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Hello,
    I will be in Tokyo near Shinjuku for Christmas and New Year but I am not exactly sure where to go with my Girlfriend ^^

I have been in Tôkyô and Kyôtô last year already but in Summer and I still have missed a few things like 清水寺 which is supposed to be one of the best temple in Kyôtô and I haven't found the Kegon-falls when I have been in Nikko ...

We will be in Japan from 21.12.13 untill 10.01.14
    I think we will go to Kyôtô for about 3 days by Night Bus ... I am still not sure about getting a JR ticket for one week as it is very expensive ... but that might save some money if we use the Shinkansen to get to Kyôtô and back in the evening so we do not have to pay for an extra Hostel, but we would have to somehow get back early enough to get back to the place we stay which might be a bad thing as most train stations close down at 10pm ...

And I am not exactly sure if what I liked in Summer is still good in Winter ...
    plus I somehow need to think about the best time table so we can use our time their the best possible :)

2. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. Youkai
    OP

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Well I know about "many" good places trough http://www.japan-guide.com/ but there are differences if you go in Summer or Winter plus some people might know "special" places that are especially interesting at Christmas or whatever ...

I "assume" without knowing at all that at new Year, Asakusa might be very awesome as I read New Year is Celebrated highly in Japan and everyone goes to the Temple and Shrines ... but who knows ...

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    In Shinjuku you can go to the Tokyo's office. it's the two-tower-building, you can't miss it.
    There are two elevators (you choose north side or south side before taking it) which will take you to 50th floor in few seconds. It's a sight seeing floor open to public.
    If the weather is fine you can see Tokyo very well and even Fuji san ;)

When I went (in 2002), I barely saw Fuji due to clouds and fog.
    That's the only place I visited in shinjuku as far as I remember.

5. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    If you have a Vita, bring it with you and get Shin Gundam Musou. Also, stock up on retro games at Hard Off, Super Potato, or any of those stores.

6. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    I used to live in Japan (born there too), I usually visit my cousins in
    japan.

7. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States