Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

moosehunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what firmware the Luigi's Mansion 3DS Cobalt bundle has?

Also, if I get firmware greater than 6, can I still use the R4i for 3DS backups?

777aaron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
O.K. so I was the first one to get a ds out of the cab and I grabbed the one at the front(dumb move), so I went back just now and compared the serial number on the outside of the box and mine started with sw13, all the others started with sw12 so I am guessing this means it is a 2012 or a 2013. What I think happened is someone bought one and swapped the stickers and their updated console into a 2012 box. Grabbed the lowest serial I could find and got 4.4 now.

moosehunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
O.K. so I was the first one to get a ds out of the cab and I grabbed the one at the front(dumb move), so I went back just now and compared the serial number on the outside of the box and mine started with sw13, all the others started with sw12 so I am guessing this means it is a 2012 or a 2013. What I think happened is someone bought one and swapped the stickers and their updated console into a 2012 box. Grabbed the lowest serial I could find and got 4.4 now.
So Target lets you return the 3DS after you've opened it?

777aaron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just walked back there< the case is open and got down there and started comparing and just put mine back and walked out with the other one, I was'nt messing with all their bs trying to exchange

beundertaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep bought a red 3ds xl and it was 6.2 firmware. the SKU was SW 40 i did not realize i have to look into that as well. i will try multiple walmarts tomorow.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got two Blue 3DS XLs from target for $150:

The first one was Nintendo Serial Number SW1353xxxx x and came with 6.1.0
The second one was Nintendo Serial Number SW1225xxxx x and came with 4.4.0

Needless to say I returned the first one, I just repacked everything and told them I barely touched it and they accepted it with no fuss.

Reactions: Another World

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Terminator02 i can't thank you enough for your post.

here is my story. i saw online that target was selling the 3ds xl for 150. so i ran over there tonight, risking the black friday crowd, and grabbed one. got back, booted it up, and found that it was running 6.1. i thought i would never be able to get one with 4.1-4.5, brand new, because this clearly showed you can't trust the "2012" date on the box. i came here looking for any relevant threads about the target sale to let everyone know the one i grabbed was 6.1, when i found your post. i checked my serial and it started with a 13. the target i shopped at actually had no lines, i was in and out in 10 minutes. so at 1am i figured i would brave going back to see if they had lower serial numbers. i found units starting with 1275 in the blues and units starting with 10xx in the reds. then i found 1 blue with 1231, and i really wanted a blue, so i grabbed it and ran up to exchange it. got in the car, booted it up, and it is running 4.4.

if i had not found your post i would have just waited and returned the 6.1 unit tomorrow and never went looking for a 3ds xl again. so thanks!!

for everyone who is not sure, i have a tip for opening them. one side of the box is sealed with two clear circular stickers, and the other side only has one. i found that if you try to pick them off that more often than not, you'll end up messing it up in a way that makes it look like you have removed it. now, some places won't care, or even look, but i've found that target has become really anal about their returns the past year. so what i did was pull the box apart to expand the side with the single clear plastic sticker as much as possible and then slit it with a razorblade. this gave me about a 1mm flap of clear sticker plastic on one side. if you need to reseal the box, just push it as close together as possible and use this 1mm flap to hold it. if you cut it clean and straight with a sharp razor, and then push it down firmly with your fingernail, you will reseal the box and no one will be able to tell.

-another world

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 i can't thank you enough for your post....
I'm surprised you found it so helpful. I was thinking while in the store that we need to figure out which Nintendo Serial Number is the threshold for when the 3DS XLs start coming with >4.5.0 for both the Blue and Red models (are they the same?).

That's a pretty cool trick for the stickers, I'll definitely test that out next time I'm in a similar situation (which is like every day).

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do these serial numbers apply to the regular version too, or only 3DS XL? Should I be looking for sw12xxxxxxxx and lower for the regular 3DS?

sftc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone get a bad red/blue from Amazon recently? I just purchased a Red from yesterday's BF deal, hoping for the best.
I plan to cop one from there myself. Let us know what yours is once you receive it. Also, does anyone know how much more likely it is, if at all, of it being <4.5 if it's shipped from and sold by Amazon? Is that something that needs to be considered or is it moot?

DemiseScythe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought 3DS XL black/red from target last night for their $150 bf sale.

Serial number SW1279xxxx x and it had firmware 4.5.0 - 10U in US region.

Anything lower than SW1279 for the US red/black XL should be 4.5.0.10 or lower as long as the package is still factory sealed. As usual it said 2012 in the box although it was one of the newer looking boxes. Buying bit higher than my range should be 50/50 chance of getting the right firmware. I barely made the cut although now I dont have to update to 4.5 myself. Beware the Blue/Black ranges might be different depending on # of sales compared to my version. I hope this helps some of you out there trying to find a good 3DS XL.

Aisorik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah if the SW starts with a 13, I might just ask Amazon to exchange it out just-in-case. At worst, I'll lose time and have to eat shipping/restocking fees, but I already own a Black XL with 5.0. I'm less worried about waiting and more that it ends up like the PS3 and 3.55.

DemiseScythe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may only have to pay restocking fees if you open/break packaging. Since it can be examined from the box, you got good chance. If the amazon is too high, you might want to try a local store and ask to go thru the boxes to find good system with SW12 label.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just went to target and picked up two XL's. Said 2012 on the box so I thought I was good. Opened one and it was 6.1. Turns out both are SW13. Time to return them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto