Gaming Where do you get your ISOs?

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not asking specifically where from obviously, but what method do you use? HTTP, torrent, usenet, p2p etc...

I only just got mine done so I'm trying to gauge (sp?) which avenue to pursue first.

IRC and usenet and the like confuse the hell out of me. But I'm thinking I might have to learn how to use them. (I'm too old to learn dammit...)

apd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm in the same situation torrents are too slow and IRC and Usenet looks a headache.

Why are the iso's always upped in their full size? Can't they be repacked with winrar or something similar ?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I usually make my own by renting them then dumping them.
Unless there's something that gets dumped a good while before the release date that I really want to play (SMG for example). Then I have some good http sources.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
I get my .iso's(not wii ones) from torrents. When I move out of my mum's place( When I finish year 12
tongue.gif
) I plan to get usenet. But torrents blow because of filthy leeches
dry.gif

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I usually make my own by renting them then dumping them.
Unless there's something that gets dumped a good while before the release date that I really want to play (SMG for example). Then I have some good http sources.
Am I right in thinking you need a specific drive that can read Wii discs?

I already bought a new dual-layer to burn 360 discs which never got used, otherwise I'd be happy to rent and burn. (by which I mean BUY and burn for backup purposes, obviously).

LordWill072284

Trophies
Website
www.bakerenterprises.ca
XP
Country
Canada
yehi i use torrents, some private sites now, make downloadin a wii game over 1MB very nice, so say bout 4 hrs and done. as for the read and rip, i bought the lgdrive that lets you read wii games, makes it into an iso (takes bout 3 hrs) using a program called rawdump 2.0. works nice too

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
There are some LG drives you can use to dump them, but I don't have one.
I use a homebrew app that runs on the Wii to dump Wii/GC games to an SD card (Gekko adapter for GC needed, doesn't work with Wii's SD slot).
Several mod chips already come with a dumper on their config/utility discs (such as Wiikey). But I use one that I found on TehSkeen a while back.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really recommend Usenet.

Unlike torrents you download direct from a server rather than other people, its a lot lot faster. You also don't have to upload/share... which is arguably better in the terms of legality, because they tend to target the distributors more than the receivers.

If you use NZB files then its no more complex than torrents. Usenet generally works better with networks etc than torrents... I didn't need to set up port forwarding and all that rubbish for usenet.
You just find what you need, download the NZB, open it with the program and away you go.

The only downside is having access to a Usenet server. There are hundreds of providers, and all of different qualities. Usually you will buy say an account that allows you for example 50 gigs a month, or you can get someone places that just allow you to purchase 50 gigs to use for whenever you want. Personally I have an unlimited account, I pay £7 ($14) from newsdemon (there was a promo on, i probably still have the coupon code if anyone wants it).

There's a lot of things to look at with a usenet provider.
There's retention, which is basically how long a file is actually kept on the servers. And completion, now much % of the entire usenet content is kept on that particular server. Usually you'd want like 99.99% completion. Retention depends on what you're downloading.

Your ISP might have its own Usenet server, which is great because access is free and coming straight from your ISP usually means awesome speed. The downside is that a lot of ISP's don't carry the more questionable groups and retention can be like a few days at most. It's always worth checking out your ISP's service.

What a few people do is buy the say 50gig blocks that don't expire. Then use the free ISP service for everything available on the ISP's service. And only dip into the premium service if there's a problem file.

The thing to bare in mind with usenet is that often things get uploaded to two groups or more. So say something of interest to tempers isn't in the group dedicated to those things, it might be in the general group that is just loads of random stuff. (which is the case 99% of the time). And the general group of random stuff is often carried.

I have a usenet PDF guide that I wrote somewhere. I should find it lol.

-Little

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sinkhead's tutorial/topic is awesome =D
(Can't believe I typed all that when theres a perfect tutorial with it all already!)

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Monthly charges...shiiiiiiiiiit.

It's like $12 a month for unlimited download. That means for $12 a month you can download hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of software, music, movies, etc. at the full speed of your bandwidth.

I use verizon as an isp and they have a news server that comes with your subscription free. It just has a low retention. (The files don't stay up for as long as a pay service). But since I usually D/L 'em the day they come out or the day after it doesn't matter to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1