Where do you get your ISOs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by evadwolrab, Nov 19, 2007.

Nov 19, 2007

Where do you get your ISOs? by evadwolrab at 2:37 PM (10,816 Views / 0 Likes) 116 replies

1. evadwolrab
    OP

Member evadwolrab GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not asking specifically where from obviously, but what method do you use? HTTP, torrent, usenet, p2p etc...

I only just got mine done so I'm trying to gauge (sp?) which avenue to pursue first.

IRC and usenet and the like confuse the hell out of me. But I'm thinking I might have to learn how to use them. (I'm too old to learn dammit...)

2. apd

Member apd GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm in the same situation torrents are too slow and IRC and Usenet looks a headache.

Why are the iso's always upped in their full size? Can't they be repacked with winrar or something similar ?

3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I usually make my own by renting them then dumping them.
    Unless there's something that gets dumped a good while before the release date that I really want to play (SMG for example). Then I have some good http sources.

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I get my .iso's(not wii ones) from torrents. When I move out of my mum's place( When I finish year 12 [​IMG] ) I plan to get usenet. But torrents blow because of filthy leeches [​IMG]

5. evadwolrab
    OP

Member evadwolrab GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Am I right in thinking you need a specific drive that can read Wii discs?

I already bought a new dual-layer to burn 360 discs which never got used, otherwise I'd be happy to rent and burn. (by which I mean BUY and burn for backup purposes, obviously).

6. 1c3d3m0n

Newcomer 1c3d3m0n Advanced Member

Singapore
    Its possible to get ISOs for Wii?!

OMG, Wii is now in my must-get list.

7. LordWill072284

Member LordWill072284 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    yehi i use torrents, some private sites now, make downloadin a wii game over 1MB very nice, so say bout 4 hrs and done. as for the read and rip, i bought the lgdrive that lets you read wii games, makes it into an iso (takes bout 3 hrs) using a program called rawdump 2.0. works nice too

8. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    There are some LG drives you can use to dump them, but I don't have one.
    I use a homebrew app that runs on the Wii to dump Wii/GC games to an SD card (Gekko adapter for GC needed, doesn't work with Wii's SD slot).
    Several mod chips already come with a dumper on their config/utility discs (such as Wiikey). But I use one that I found on TehSkeen a while back.

9. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
  10. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I really recommend Usenet.

Unlike torrents you download direct from a server rather than other people, its a lot lot faster. You also don't have to upload/share... which is arguably better in the terms of legality, because they tend to target the distributors more than the receivers.

If you use NZB files then its no more complex than torrents. Usenet generally works better with networks etc than torrents... I didn't need to set up port forwarding and all that rubbish for usenet.
    You just find what you need, download the NZB, open it with the program and away you go.

The only downside is having access to a Usenet server. There are hundreds of providers, and all of different qualities. Usually you will buy say an account that allows you for example 50 gigs a month, or you can get someone places that just allow you to purchase 50 gigs to use for whenever you want. Personally I have an unlimited account, I pay £7 ($14) from newsdemon (there was a promo on, i probably still have the coupon code if anyone wants it).

There's a lot of things to look at with a usenet provider.
    There's retention, which is basically how long a file is actually kept on the servers. And completion, now much % of the entire usenet content is kept on that particular server. Usually you'd want like 99.99% completion. Retention depends on what you're downloading.

Your ISP might have its own Usenet server, which is great because access is free and coming straight from your ISP usually means awesome speed. The downside is that a lot of ISP's don't carry the more questionable groups and retention can be like a few days at most. It's always worth checking out your ISP's service.

What a few people do is buy the say 50gig blocks that don't expire. Then use the free ISP service for everything available on the ISP's service. And only dip into the premium service if there's a problem file.

The thing to bare in mind with usenet is that often things get uploaded to two groups or more. So say something of interest to tempers isn't in the group dedicated to those things, it might be in the general group that is just loads of random stuff. (which is the case 99% of the time). And the general group of random stuff is often carried.

I have a usenet PDF guide that I wrote somewhere. I should find it lol.

-Little

11. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Torrents = Headache, constant monitoring, pain in the ass to find decent ones
    HTTP = LOL
    Rapidshare = LMAO

Usenet = Easy peasy

12. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    IF Usenet is so great, we should stat a Hiratai Usenet Fund. [​IMG]

13. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, usenet is good. Very good. [​IMG]

14. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Usenet. FTW. 'nuff said.
    Uhh... duh, you should know that already by the Wii Release List on the front page.

15. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Sinkhead's tutorial/topic is awesome =D
    (Can't believe I typed all that when theres a perfect tutorial with it all already!)

16. Davy32

Newcomer Davy32 Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Also USENET 4 ME, it's way to good.................................... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    Monthly charges...shiiiiiiiiiit.

18. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States

It's like $12 a month for unlimited download. That means for $12 a month you can download hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of software, music, movies, etc. at the full speed of your bandwidth.

I use verizon as an isp and they have a news server that comes with your subscription free. It just has a low retention. (The files don't stay up for as long as a pay service). But since I usually D/L 'em the day they come out or the day after it doesn't matter to me.

19. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    usenet...newsdemon £10.25 for an unlimited connection.

20. Smidget

Newcomer Smidget Member

Usenet, Road Runner comes with 30 day retention and fast speeds [​IMG]