PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all.

Just need a little help refreshing my head with the latest going on in the HomeBrew scene.
I have an old Wii which has the good old black Wode Jukebox, & it's also soft-modded HomeBrew Channel with HackMii installer/Indiana Jones method from YEARS ago, & have BootMii as Boot2 & also BootMii as IOS, with a few apps on SD card & using external FAT32 USB drive for my games. I've had USB Loader GX installed for years but never used it, was only using my WODE.

I've been meaning to take my WODE out of the picture & recently I'm not sure exactly what happened but 2 of my games stopped working or were crashing. I tested the USB drive & those not-working games in Dolphin Emulator & the hard drive & games seemed fine. Thought bah this is my time to just uninstall my WODE which I did. It served me excellently, RIP. Moving on.

So now I'm concentrating on the soft-mods side. I have downloaded a newer than mine USB Loader GX 1281 & the newer D2X-CIOS Installer 3.1 with d2x-v11-beta1.
My current/old setup, the older D2X is installed as ::
Base 56 = Slot 249
Base 57 = Slot 250
Base 58 = Slot 251

After MUCH reading around & refreshing myself, I'm still not sure if I should change this setup when updating/installing the newer D2X, as I've read few different things from way different timelines of years apart so just a bit confused on this. Please help me with this? I've even seen BASE 38 get mentioned too, do I need this also these days?
I'll just concentrate on this for now & when all is working nicely again then I'll dive into the VC & WiiWare & Emunand side of things.

I've attached my current syscheck file.

Appreciate your time!

Attachments

• sysCheck.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by PigeonBreath,
Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Syscheck looks decent, the main thing you're missing is priiloader.

You could update cios's but in 99.9% of cases you'll see little to no difference.

Btw, in the future if you want some quick advice on a syscheck you can drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do, if anything.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
TBH the difference is not very material. If you're using the latest gx you will see modest boot time improvements if your 249 is base 56, assuming you're using the new auto ios setting/option.

Base 38 I think is superior to 58 but in marginal ways. Both can launch SpongeBob boating bash, but 38 also has usb keyboard support in the animal crossing game. Neither is needed for much else as base 56 & 57 cover almost everything else.

More info here
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_base_Compatibility_List

So unless you care to use a usb keyboard in animal crossing there's no advantage I'm aware of to switch from 58 to 38.

That being said, usb HDD compatibility may vary from base to base and cios to cios. If what you have is working with your gear no point in tinkering.

That all being said, I have a ton of respect for @blackb0x and after researching it he seems to think in some cases there may be good reason to have both base 38 and 58 installed to 248 & 251. What we definitely agree on is that 249 should be base 56 and 250 base 57, but the opposite setup is also acceptable.

@blackb0x, not sure if there's anything you want to add to this. Thx mate.

PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hah XFlak I'm pestering you in 2 threads at one time :)

That's an awesome enough run-down for me, thanks for your help & link. Understood.

Reactions: XFlak

PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well I was going to make a new thread for my next steps I wanna do & bunch of questions, but seeing how there's many people who've been out of the scene for a few years such as myself & returning to catch up on the latest, might be better to just ask in here to also help others in my boat.

So far, all good, I've updated my stuff, PriiLoader installed & working, booting straight into USB Loader GX & also returning to USB Loader GX. Thanks heaps to XFlak.

Just some Neek/Oneek/Sneek/Uneek questions now. Woah, it's a lot to take in. Planning to Uneek it & play my VC & WiiWare games from USB hard drive. Still want to run all my homebrew apps etc from my SD as I am currently, & just all my games on my USB drive.

1: Is this guide still considered to be the latest/updated from sir @Cyan ??
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-do-...properly-utilize-emunand.437521/#post-6592730

2: Should I even bother with Neek setup? Or just use my EmuNAND directly from my USB Loader GX? I've read that there's more games compatibility using Neek, but not by much? Where can I find out which games are affected?

3: I also read that VC N64 games aren't very compatible without using Neek, but doesn't something like NOT64 solve this?

4: XFlak I tried using ModMii, it says version 6.6.3 & that it's up to date. Then I chose the Sneek Installation "S", chose some custom paths for my SD & USB & followed along, & also gave it a path to my VC & WiiWare WADs, everything goes fine & it runs ShowMiiWads until about 80% through, then I get an error box saying ::

"Offset & length were out of bounds of the array or count is greater than the number of elements from index to the end of the source sollection".

I thought maybe my VC & WiiWare WADs folder path was too long? So I just copied it to "C:\1\VC & WiiWare" & tried again but same result, also the error happens it looks like at the exact same spot in the ShowMiiWads progress bar. When I click OK on the error box, ModMii finishes up like normally.

5: For ModMii if I want to use my own Wii's NAND dump for the emuNAND instead of the ModMii generated one, how do I do this? I've already backed up my NAND using BootMii & I'm familiar with using ShowMiiWads to use its "Extract BootMii Dump".

6: Will I be able to play my VC & WiiWare US region WADs on my emuNAND which I dumped from my real EU NAND ?? Or do I need to do something extra for this? Right now on my real EU NAND I'm able to play US region N64 games & Wii game on my USB Loader GX, but I've only tried Super Mario 64 & Mario Kart 64 & Super Mario Galaxy. Is it my USB Loader GX that's unlocking the region or my PriiLoader unlock region setting?

Appreciated!

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm gonna selectively answer some of this, sorry but too much to for me to answer all at once at this hour, lol

1) Probably, Cyan is awesome

2) No harm in having both. Neek just allows you to launch into an emunand, you can have neek setup and and never\rarely use it, and still use the same shared emunand for neek & GX. I think there's a list somewhere but it's very short, almost everything is playable nicely via GX these days

3) hit and miss, try it out

4) If you add WADs the old fashioned way by manually using showmiiwads\showmiinand, do you get the same error? Can you narrow it down to a particular WAD?

5) Just replace your emunand with the extracted emunand

6) I think you should be OK

Reactions: CoolMe

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1) Oh, thanks Xflak, that's kind. though, I'm a little out of the loop :P I've seen there's a cIOS v11 from Blackb0x and latest USBGX works with Wii games on SD, lot of fixes, etc.
I didn't follow the progress or checked my guides for a long time, but my Neek(2o) guide should be fine.

ATTENTION
I mixed two old guides ! instead of rewriting a full guide, I linked to an old one for the "modmii creation part" only. DO NOT Follow more than the "modmii" chapter (step 3) from the old guide !
I wrote these guides before I added support of Neek inside USBGX.
The guide uses Nswitch homebrew to launch either Sneek OR Uneek. You can't have both at the same time.

With USBGX you CAN have both at the same time and what to do is slightly different than what the guide tells you.
With Xflak, we updated Modmii to reflect that, so follow what modmii tells you.

ALSO : Do not put di.bin file in sneek folder the first time you boot neek !
You'll get a black screen !
di (disc interface) is used to emulate a disc by mounting and redirecting the Disc channel to a folder on USB. It requires at least 1 extracted disc in "DiscEx"(tracted) format, or neek won't boot. so, don't copy di.bin, you'll need it only for 2-3 disc games (Tintin, Dragon Quest 9, for example). All other disc games work fine in USBGX. no need to use neek for disc based games. Only use neek for incompatible/problematic Wads.

2) Like he said, you can have both, and I recommend to have both instead of just Neek method.
Neek method might work with more games, but it's not a light method. I recommend to use the normal emuNAND method for all working games, and use neek only for problematic games (easy to set in USBGX > game individual settings > emuNAND mode)

There is a list I started for emuNAND compatibility which should require neek :
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_EmuNAND_Compatibility_List
Though, it's a little wrong, as games are not working based on the cIOS version, but more on the IOS base (base57, base38, etc.). And even that, might be wrong.
So, this list is not 100% accurate, just use it to get an idea of what works well, or have issues. If there is a game not working with any base/version, there's a chance it requires Neek method, for example the Rebirth series (Castlevania Rebirth), Bonsai barber, etc.

3)
N64 might work better with base 36/38etc., you can see on that compatibility list that cIOS rev17(base38 forced) works with N64 games.
but nowadays all cIOS guide tell users to install only base56 and 57.
As a result, N64 games are not working and people think they need neek(2o), when it could be fixed by installed cIOS v11 base38 in another slot (I recommend slot 248) AND change the IOS to use in the individual game settings.
still, no 100% guarantee it'll work with all N64 game, it's test and see too :)
As for using an emulator, I'm not sure all games are working flawlessly. Maybe on WiiU it's better (not vWii).

4)
NO SPACE IN PATHS
it's one of the first issue in apps on windows. Don't ever use space in the path, some application might be using command line tools in the background, and not using "" around paths, resulting in argument errors.
C:\1\VC & WiiWare <-- wrong.
C:\1\VC_WiiWare <-- good

I don't know if it'll fix you issue, but it's one of the biggest issue in all apps on windows.
If you have a second hard drive, use it instead of c: root.
d:\emulators\what\you\want\

keeping C root clean, and keep C for the OS, is my own way of doing. I know it works if you put all your work in C, but I like having files on different partitions or HDDs, in case of format, restoration etc.
Personal files away from the system files.

Like Xflak said, it could be a wrong Wad.
Or a Korean wad ? it has a different encryption key, I don't know if ShowMiiWad is compatible.
or you are trying to install too much games on that emuNAND ? is there a limit ?
Just know that a full emuNAND will be VERY SLOW to load, like more than a minute ! don't worry if you have black screens at loader's launch.... it's loading and caching (if you enabled cache title option in USBGX, which I recommend if you have tons of games).
There's no cache title in Neek, it'll be slow too.

Just know that USBLoaderGX has a WAD installer to emuNAND in Miscellaneous menu !
You can even batch install a full folder of wad, AND korean wads are properly installed.

5)
I never use modmii, always dump my own emuNAND using USBGX !
I don't use bootmii dump that I extract either.
just go to USBGX > miscellaneous > dump NAND > full
(first, go to settings, user paths, to choose the path were you want your dump)

6)
The wii is not really region locked.
USBGX lets you run games from another region (with very few exception with Japanese game, missing some font)

Priiloader is not affecting USBLoaders.
Priiloader is patching the system menu's check at game launch INSIDE the system menu.
When you use USBLoaders, you are not using the System menu !

You can even use bootmii (@boot2) to bypass entirely the system menu and launch HBC, doing that there's no priiloader loaded anywhere.

Attention :
If you use Neek method, it actually reboots the console and launches the system menu ;)
You'll need to patch the region check function like priiloader is doing on real nand, but on emuNAND neek : it's in a hidden neek menu, press 1 or 2 on the wiimote to open the menu, search for region free option and enable it.
reboot the console to apply the change on next Neek boot.

Last edited by Cyan,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ALSO : Do not put di.bin file in sneek folder the first time you boot neek !
You'll get a black screen !
di (disc interface) is used to emulate a disc by mounting and redirecting the Disc channel to a folder on USB. It requires at least 1 extracted disc in "DiscEx"(tracted) format, or neek won't boot. so, don't copy di.bin, you'll need it only for 2-3 disc games (Tintin, Dragon Quest 9, for example). All other disc games work fine in USBGX. no need to use neek for disc based games. Only use neek for incompatible/problematic Wads.
Hey Cyan, I agree with almost everything you said (naturally), but I have to disagree with this bit.

The original neek+di (not neek2o+di) requires a game in discex format (extracted), but so long as you have a game in this format it is OK to have di.bin. And if you are using neek2o+di, you do not require a game in order to boot, and games are supported in variety of formats not just discex (i.e. WBFS, and I think ISO as well).

ModMii will build neek2o by default, but if you disable neek2o in the options it will build the original. It will advise users appropriately of the requirements as above depending on what version is being built. So if using ModMii no need to make any adjustments in regards to this.

On a related note, in ModMii 6.6.3 and older, font.bin is excluded when building non +di variants of neek2o (i.e. only included for +di variants), but this should actually be included in order to access the overlay menu (only applies to neek2o, not neek). This has already been fixed in my private ModMii beta, hopefully it will be released soon-ish.

Here's an early excerpt from the next ModMii changelog:
  • font.bin now also included when building non +di variants of neek2o in order to access the overlay menu. Previously only included for +di variants

PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Was away for a few days! Thanks for your replies & time @XFlak & @Cyan, it's honestly appreciated more than you know. I really try to read & update myself as much as I possibly can seeing how I've also been missing from the scene for some years. But at times it really gets a bit overwhelming, soooo much to take in, different guides on different sites & not knowing which is current. But so far so good thanks all to this community & especially to XFlak & Cyan literally saving me hours & hours. Time is pricecless. I think this Neek setup would be my last hurdle, really knew nothing about it when I was in my Wode world.

Ahh shit sorry XFlax, I didn't mean for you to answer ALL my questions, only the ModMii related questions & only when you're feeling up to it. No rush ever. No need for sorry, you've helped more than enough. Please only reply when you're in the right space & have spare time, as I know you're in recovery mode!

4) If you add WADs the old fashioned way by manually using showmiiwads\showmiinand, do you get the same error? Can you narrow it down to a particular WAD?

I'll try this manually & see what happens. It's most probably something on my side. My VC & WiiWare collection is basically all of them, 16.4GB & they're US region. I'll try to narrow it down to the culprit .WAD.

I don't know if it'll fix you issue, but it's one of the biggest issue in all apps on windows.
If you have a second hard drive, use it instead of c: root.
d:\emulators\what\you\want\

keeping C root clean, and keep C for the OS, is my own way of doing. I know it works if you put all your work in C, but I like having files on different partitions or HDDs, in case of format, restoration etc.
Personal files away from the system files.
Yea i agree with that 110% & have never kept anything important on my C: drive, I only copied my VC & WiiWare games to my C: drive from my storage drive after I got that error, just thought maybe that was the issue or ModMii would be happier with them in C: but all good, definitely not the problem. & I'll get rid of my path spaces!

Wow what a write-up Cyan, THANKS HEAPS! I mean that a lot. I'll read through it tonight & take it all in! Just had a fly through it, some golden information there! Thanks for confirming PriiLoader's role & if it had any affect on USB Loaders or not. Understood!

I'm currently using USB Loader GX version 1281, is that the latest from sir BlackBox??

Also my current D2X v11 beta1 CIOS setup which XFlak helped me with is ::

Slot 248 : Base 38 : CIOS version 65535
Slot 249 : Base 57 : CIOS version 65535
Slot 250 : Base 56 : CIOS version 65535
Slot 251 : Base 58 : CIOS version 65535

That lookin good?
Yea I'll stick to both your advice & just try Neek for games that don't work from GX.

Just a quickie, in USB Loader GX's emuNAND paths settings, what's the difference between "NandEmuPath" & "NandEmuChanPath" paths ?? They're ok both being set to the same path?

THANK YOU! :)

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Also my current D2X v11 beta1 CIOS setup which XFlak helped me with is ::

Slot 248 : Base 38 : CIOS version 65535
Slot 249 : Base 57 : CIOS version 65535
Slot 250 : Base 56 : CIOS version 65535
Slot 251 : Base 58 : CIOS version 65535
Switch 249 and 250, so that 249 is base 56 and 250 is base 57. It will make launching games under gx's latest auto ios setting a bit faster as IOS it will avoid frequent ios reloads

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just a quickie, in USB Loader GX's emuNAND paths settings, what's the difference between "NandEmuPath" & "NandEmuChanPath" paths ?? They're ok both being set to the same path?
They are fine sharing the same folder.
one is for the Wii disc-based savegames, the other is for channels (wad or neek).

If you want to save your savegame on SD (for portability, or if your SysNAND is full, or whatever reason, easy to backup etc.) when playing Wii games (disc dump, wbfs), you can enable the option to redirect saves only.
It was one of the first option in the loader related to emuNAND : EmuNAND partial is doing that, redirecting ONLY the /title/ folder which contains the savegames.
The advantage is that you do NOT need a NAND dump, it only redirect savegames, that's all !

edit:
"EmuNAND save full" is also redirecting the settings, the Mii, the Wiimote sync, everything in fact, and you need a full NAND dump.
It still only affects Wii disc-based games, so the option is badly named, it's not emuNAND save, but more "wbfs games NAND redirection", save only / full.
So, some users were already using that feature and already had either a folder with savegames in it, or a full nand dump for their Wii disc-based (wbfs) games.

when we added emuNAND support to list installed WAD/Channels from a full NAND dump, we had people asking for a different folder, to not lose their savegames already stored in a folder (partial or full nand dump).
That way, you can have an emuNAND with channels on USB, but Wii disc redirected savegames on SD !

If you already have a full EmuNAND and don't already use save redirection for disc-based games, you can share the same folder. if you don't enable emuNAND save, you even don't care that they share the same folder.
If one day you enable the emuSave option, the savegames will be located in your existing "full NAND dump" folder, where you already have channels installed.
it's just convenient to have that option if you want to use different emuNAND channels dump (one for each region maybe) and still have your disc based savegames located in yet another place.

EmuNANDFolder = savegame for disc based games (no full NAND dump required before using "emuNAND Save" feature). Folder used by the option "EmuNAND save"
emuNANDChannelFolder = the path used for fullNANDDump, and the one listing the channels when choosing "emuNAND" source on the 4th icon on top menu. Folder used by the option "EmuNAND Channel".

Edit:
Like I said above, you can have multiple EmuNAND channel folders (one per region), or one for simple emuNAND and one for Neek, but still have ALL of them listed at once in the loader.
That way, neek will NOT need to load 800 channels at launch ! USBGX can list 800 games, and neek only has problematic games (20-30 ?).

- create 2 full emuNAND.
- Emu1 has ALL the games (working and problematic)
- Emu2 has ONLY the problematic games (or one per region, emuEU, emuUS, emuJP, etc.)
- set USBGX to display Emu1 (all the games)
- go to individual game settings, change the path to load for that game to use emu2 and emuMode to neek if it requires it, etc.

Last edited by Cyan,

PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi & Thanks for the replies.
Switch 249 and 250, so that 249 is base 56 and 250 is base 57. It will make launching games under gx's latest auto ios setting a bit faster as IOS it will avoid frequent ios reloads.
Oh ok, understood! I'll switch them back around. Is USB Loader GX's newest release version 1281?
Does ModMii work with Wii U's? About to mod a Wii U that I unexpectedly got recently so just asking. Thank you XFlak.

@Cyan too, cheers for the extra info & for taking the time explaining, so far so good! Big help from you guys. Nice & easy to just visit this thread even as reference if I forget something etc.

PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Woah, that was fast. Ok no problem, my journey continues. Thanks for confirming!

Was kinda getting used to getting my hand held by ModMii & showing me the way :)

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat