What's a good starter VR Headset?

mewtek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking into saving up for a VR headset, mainly to play Half Life: Alyx among others. Was thinking about getting an Index but it seems a bit expensive for me, and I don't think it'll be back in stock anytime soon. Any suggestions?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Cheapest option for PC VR would be any Windows Mixed Reality headset. I've got one from Acer, it's practically the same experience as an OG Oculus Rift and it cost me like $160 to get. Refurbished ones of the Acer model I got seem to go for about $180 now, which is still pretty decent vs other headsets.

It's inside out tracking is a bit meh compared to higher end stuff now, but I haven't had any major issues with nearly every VR game I've tried. This would, in my opinion, be the absolute best option for someone entering the VR market that isn't sure if they want to stick with it or not. It'll give you about the same experience, and it's usually much cheaper so you won't end up losing a ton of money if you don't end up liking VR that much.

A used Oculus Rift is also an option, but is a bit more expensive. I believe these days, to get a full kit, it'll cost around $250-$300 for one with all the sensors, cables and 2 controllers.

If cost isn't a factor and you have all the money in the world, buy an HTC Vive and pickup just the Index controllers whenever they get in stock. It's probably one of the best combos for PC VR at the moment, but will be fairly pricey. The OG Vive setup still sells for like $600+ used on eBay, and a new Vive Cosmo will set you back like $700 for just the headset and controllers, or $900 to add the base stations as well.

mewtek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheapest option for PC VR would be any Windows Mixed Reality headset. I've got one from Acer, it's practically the same experience as an OG Oculus Rift and it cost me like $160 to get. Refurbished ones of the Acer model I got seem to go for about $180 now, which is still pretty decent vs other headsets.

It's inside out tracking is a bit meh compared to higher end stuff now, but I haven't had any major issues with nearly every VR game I've tried. This would, in my opinion, be the absolute best option for someone entering the VR market that isn't sure if they want to stick with it or not. It'll give you about the same experience, and it's usually much cheaper so you won't end up losing a ton of money if you don't end up liking VR that much.

A used Oculus Rift is also an option, but is a bit more expensive. I believe these days, to get a full kit, it'll cost around $250-$300 for one with all the sensors, cables and 2 controllers.

If cost isn't a factor and you have all the money in the world, buy an HTC Vive and pickup just the Index controllers whenever they get in stock. It's probably one of the best combos for PC VR at the moment, but will be fairly pricey. The OG Vive setup still sells for like $600+ used on eBay, and a new Vive Cosmo will set you back like $700 for just the headset and controllers, or $900 to add the base stations as well.

Thinking I might try saving up for a new Rift then, that kinda seems like something I could save up for, even if it takes me a little while. Thanks for the recommendations :]

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Check to see if there is some kind of gaming bar/club/cafe near you.

They will often have sprung for the fancy stuff and for what a few hours rental costs you can likely have your fill of the concept and not have to have junk in your house.

mewtek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check to see if there is some kind of gaming bar/club/cafe near you.

They will often have sprung for the fancy stuff and for what a few hours rental costs you can likely have your fill of the concept and not have to have junk in your house.

Ehh, I've checked before, but the closest one to me is in Phoenix, AZ. Makes sense, my town's not very rampant in terms of that kind of stuff.

If I ever get to Phoenix anytime soon, I'll try and get to one of those, would probably be worth the money to see what feels the best for me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough. Even piddly little towns around here usually manage something but if it is a bit more spread out then so it goes.

I mostly view VR right now as a gimmick, especially on the lower/cheaper end, and one that needs to properly fail again before coming back in about 7 years when things might actually be able to properly do it justice.

D

Deleted User

i was able to get a lightly used CV1 rift for a reasonable price, i still think the og touch controllers are the best, just make sure your USB ports are up to the task, because my front panel ports keep disconnecting my sensors and completely fucking around with the tracking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission