"Half Life: Alyx" gets its first animation update for the No VR Mod

AnimationVariation4.png

The highly anticipated No VR mod for Half Life: Alyx got a brand new update today. For the unaware, the No VR mod for Half Life: Alyx modifies the base game to completely bypass the VR requirement for the game, and instead play it as if it were a FPS more in line with console or PC shooters instead, just like its predecessors.

Back in April, the authors released a version of the mod which made it possible to finish the entire game from start to finish, without any kind of requirement for a VR set to play the game at any point, although with some animations missing to certain actions performed in game. With the update released today, October 27th, the main animations for Alyx's arms, hands and weapons have been added into the mod. While this covers the main animations, some others are still missing and will be coming in a future update, like Alyx's hand being placed in the Health Stations.

Those interested in trying out the new animation update for the No VR mod can do so by downloading the update either from the launcher or from ModDB's entry for Alyx's No VR mod.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Half Life: Alyx No VR mod at ModDB

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pretty cool for everyone without a headset. However owning one and having played a lot of VR (and also HL:A), i can tell that a lot of wow factor is thrown out the window if playing non-vr. I would advise anyone to not play it at all if they could imagine owning a headset in the near (or even distant) future.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty cool for everyone without a headset. However owning one and having played a lot of VR (and also HL:A), i can tell that a lot of wow factor is thrown out the window if playing non-vr. I would advise anyone to not play it at all if they could imagine owning a headset in the near (or even distant) future.
I agree with this 200% it truly is an experience meant for vr sure with this nod you could play without it but it's not meant for that and might feel like crap without the vr in it I wouldn't play it without vr even if you plan to get it 10 years from now it's worth the wait it's not like it's half life 3 and has anything to contribute to the end of episode 2

Reactions: Slluxx

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, lets see.

I'm a self admitted half-life fanboy. I wont pretend otherwise.

Oculus/quest are out due to the facebook requirement, and the egregious amounts of data they seem convinced you owe them for the privilege, only to phase out support at their earliest convenience.

Eff paying $1200 for an index. Full stop.

The only half affordable headset, to even try it out, is maybe an OG PS VR, since ive seen those sell for about $100 secondhand. But (a) Sony would literally rather dissolve than open up support for pc, and (b) requires an additional camera to function, which I dont already have.

Evetything else on the market for a headset wants four digits for a supposed "worth it" experience. And aside from HL:A, the only interest I have in such a thing, is to use with the mod that restores the headset mode for Alien Isolation. Nothing else that requires a headset even halfway Interests me, at all.

The only "vr playplace" that I could find within a 50 mile radius just does glorified phone games. Not a single setup to play Alyx on it. And nowhere to try any such out, especially since Frys electronics blipped out of existence.

So, again, I ask... The fuck am I supposed to do?

Reactions: tpax

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Granted, it looks a tiny bit more natural now, but still - without VR, Alyx is a mediocre shooter at best, since most of the fun and immersion comes from playing it in VR. That may be a trivial fact, but there's still lots and lots of people denying it.

Reactions: Avalyn

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Granted, it looks a tiny bit more natural now, but still - without VR, Alyx is a mediocre shooter at best, since most of the fun and immersion comes from playing it in VR. That may be a trivial fact, but there's still lots and lots of people denying it.
Shouldnt discount the people that get motion sickness with such headsets. I know before I tried a session, I too feared the lack of peripheral vision would bother me to not be able to function with it. But I also know of people that might be fine watching one game run but then feel nauseous with another visual style.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oculus/quest are out due to the facebook requirement, and the egregious amounts of data they seem convinced you owe them for the privilege, only to phase out support at their earliest convenience.
They already stopped letting users use a Facebook account. Instead, you can make a Meta account. This is just like the old Oculus accounts from before. You are not obligated to enter real information, unlike on Facebook.
So you can just make a new fake email address and use it as your Meta account.

Reactions: x65943

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, lets see.

The only half affordable headset, to even try it out, is maybe an OG PS VR, since ive seen those sell for about $100 secondhand. But (a) Sony would literally rather dissolve than open up support for pc, and (b) requires an additional camera to function, which I dont already have.

Evetything else on the market for a headset wants four digits for a supposed "worth it" experience. And aside from HL:A, the only interest I have in such a thing, is to use with the mod that restores the headset mode for Alien Isolation. Nothing else that requires a headset even halfway Interests me, at all.

The only "vr playplace" that I could find within a 50 mile radius just does glorified phone games. Not a single setup to play Alyx on it. And nowhere to try any such out, especially since Frys electronics blipped out of existence.

No Facebook requirement, there hasn't been for a while, it uses Meta accounts which are not linked to your Facebook in any way.

Index is $1000 last I checked.

The HP Reverb G2 is a solid headset for a reasonable price, especially if you find one in good condition used. I see them new on Amazon for $525 right now. Used eBay prices around $300. Still one of the better headsets on the market, and one of the best values.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They already stopped letting users use a Facebook account. Instead, you can make a Meta account. This is just like the old Oculus accounts from before. You are not obligated to enter real information, unlike on Facebook.
So you can just make a new fake email address and use it as your Meta account.
Facebook is meta. As long as Zuck is involved, it always will be. That lizard brain wouldn't have the wherewithal to think past demanding ALL OF THE INFO ALL OF THE TIME as long as he's allowed to run things.
Post automatically merged:

No Facebook requirement, there hasn't been for a while, it uses Meta accounts which are not linked to your Facebook in any way.

Index is $1000 last I checked.

The HP Reverb G2 is a solid headset for a reasonable price, especially if you find one in good condition used. I see them new on Amazon for $525 right now. Used eBay prices around $300. Still one of the better headsets on the market, and one of the best values.
It could be $999 with a coupon. Still doesn't change the fact that the Index screams overpriced, and many of the reviews (this site included) only focus on the mega-buck headsets that require a 4090 for each eye to run just on the pixels being pushed.

IMO for that money I'd literally rather just have a 4K panel. Hell, nowadays a 4K 60hz panel can be had for under $300. And at least that works for all other games and getting work done, which no VR headset even attempts to do.

So at least from where I'm sitting, a vr headset will always be just a specialized monitor. And spending that much, just to even be allowed, to run one game, is nuts.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, lets see.

That sounds like a you issue. I dont know how my advice seems like an invitation for you to act like i am responsible for the issue you have. If you dont want to buy a headset, play the mod just like i said in my first sentence. If you consider buying a headset sooner or later, take my advice and dont play the game if you can.

I bought an Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 in 2014 and an Oculus Rift S when it came out.

Also, whining about (facebooks) data collection yet being on the internet at all and also using steam is just next level hypocrisy.

Last edited by Slluxx,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
i dont fucking care for the VR and wow factors. i dont own a VR headset by choice. Valve should have not pushed VR for highly anticipated game such as alyx.
Many fans of HL did not played alyx because of this VR shit.

That sounds like a you issue. I dont know how my advice seems like an invitation for you to act like i am responsible for the issue you have.

If you dont want to buy a headset, play the mod just like i said in my first sentence. If you consider buying a headset sooner or later, take my advice and dont play the game if you can.

I bought an Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 in 2014 and an Oculus Rift S when it came out.

Also, whining about (facebooks) data collection yet being on the internet at all and also using steam is just next level hypocrisy.
i think youre fanboying over a headset imo.
as i said, valve should make a game in VR and non vr modes. its that simple.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont fucking care for the VR and wow factors. i dont own a VR headset by choice. Valve should have not pushed VR for highly anticipated game such as alyx.
Many fans of HL did not played alyx because of this VR shit.
I disagree. Its your choice to not own a headset and thats just a consequence of it. Anyone can make whatever the fuck they want and your opinion on it doesnt matter. If i make music and you dont like it, why the fuck should i change to please you?

Despite that, VR is an awesome experience and the game wouldnt be nearly half as good without that immersiveness.

Reactions: Avalyn

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Most retarded mod ever - this is one of the most immersive games ever made, and probably the best vr game yet. If you want to play flatscreen halflife, play hl2 again.
and that is the most retarded comment ever. are you even a gamer? dont you think having options is good and do you acept that not all gamers like VR and prefer flat screen as you said?

idk why are there so many people fanboying over a VR. If you like it go play it, but admit that valve should have made an option for non VR players. its that simple.

ofc you being a fanboy let me hear your justification for vhy taht couldnt happen..please!

I disagree. Its your choice to not own a headset and thats just a consequence of it. Anyone can make whatever the fuck they want and your opinion on it doesnt matter. If i make music and you dont like it, why the fuck should i change to please you?

Despite that, VR is an awesome experience and the game wouldnt be nearly half as good without that immersiveness.
you can disagree all you want, but simple cat of the matter is that players should have a choice to play with or without VR.
Forcing VR is just stupid.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and that is the most retarded comment ever. are you even a gamer?
yeah i can just give that right back to you :rofl:

but simple cat of the matter is that players should have a choice to play with or without VR.
Forcing VR is just stupid.
Im just going to repeat myself here:

Anyone can make whatever the fuck they want and your opinion on it doesnt matter. If i make music and you dont like it, why the fuck should i change to please you?

If you are mad that this is VR only, why are you not mad about console/pc exclusives? I guess someone with a ps5 should be able to play xbox games too? Why are you not able to play in the paralympics? Those games shouldnt be for disabled people only? I guess someones GF should sleep with you too?

Mate, some things are simply restricted to a certain audience. Live with it.

Last edited by Slluxx,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I purchased the Rift S to play through HL:A, then sold it afterwards.

Then, a year later, I purchased the Quest 2 and replayed HL:A again, this time without the annoying cables. Made the experience even better. Right after that I sold the Quest 2.

Now, I’m just happy I don’t have to purchase a VR headset again whenever I get that itch to scratch.

Besides Alyx, there isn’t anything that would justify purchasing a VR headset again, at least in terms of AAA games. VR is a nice gimmick, but playing games the conservative way is so much more enjoyable to me. I play games to relax, wearing a helmet on my head all the time and sprinting through my living room doesn’t support that idea. And I find it quite amusing that VR gaming is still pretty much dead, even after all this years.

Reactions: Blythe93

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Shouldnt discount the people that get motion sickness with such headsets. I know before I tried a session, I too feared the lack of peripheral vision would bother me to not be able to function with it. But I also know of people that might be fine watching one game run but then feel nauseous with another visual style.

This along with the space required to make the most of VR are the biggest reasons I haven't completed HLA yet.

Even if I can get over the above though, I still like the idea of this mod just for casual play throughs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!