Hardware Cheapest Way to Experience VR on the PC

How much did you pay for YOUR VR headset?

• A lot. I can afford it, though; I'm practically made of money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was expensive, but I got it on sale. (How much did you pay? Let me know below!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I am on the hunt for a VR headset after seeing some VR titles I really, really, REALLY want to play on Windows 11. Unfortunately, the options I've got are either cheap ones for smartphones or expensive ones that every critic seems to be pushing. Sooooo... here's a legitimate question, and I want a legitimate answer: Are there ANY standalone VR headsets that can be used on Windows that are not hundreds of dollars? I'm willing to pay as much as $200, but as I'm on a budget that would still be quite a bit for me.

With VR being such a wanted feature, I'm surprised that there aren't more inexpensive options already for the PC - and VR has been around since the 2000s? I mean, this is ridiculous! I'm willing to look at any cheap PC headsets you people reveal to me, no holds barred.

Arrrchitects

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Quest 2 is standalone but can sync up with PC. 200 bucks really isn't that bad when it comes to techy doodads. Your only other option would be like GearVR and those have no support whatsoever anymore and definitely feels like a 20 dollar experience.

EDIT: You could try and get the first iteration of the Rift. I've seen em sold around my area for 60 bucks before.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an HTC Vive that was lightly used and almost complete for about $100 a little while back. It was missing the base stations but you can find those for reasonable if you keep your eye out.
Are the base stations necessary? Can a headset "just work" with only itself and the controllers? I mean, it might not give accurate motion tracking, but then again, neither do VR headsets for smartphones, and usually there's an axis reset toggle somewhere on either the headset or within software.

Tweaker_Modding

Siezure Dice™
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I am on the hunt for a VR headset after seeing some VR titles I really, really, REALLY want to play on Windows 11. Unfortunately, the options I've got are either cheap ones for smartphones or expensive ones that every critic seems to be pushing. Sooooo... here's a legitimate question, and I want a legitimate answer: Are there ANY standalone VR headsets that can be used on Windows that are not hundreds of dollars? I'm willing to pay as much as $200, but as I'm on a budget that would still be quite a bit for me.

With VR being such a wanted feature, I'm surprised that there aren't more inexpensive options already for the PC - and VR has been around since the 2000s? I mean, this is ridiculous! I'm willing to look at any cheap PC headsets you people reveal to me, no holds barred.
windows 11 doesn’t work very well with vr games in its current state

• Sad

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just bought an oculus quest 2 for about 400€ and yes it was pricier than normal had to import it from france since meta froze their service in germany (legal battle still pending)

the quest 2 itself is very nice (for the price) theres not much what it can´t do (steamvr games,apk sideloading,homebrew vr ports etc)

the only two bad things are the headstrap but this can be fixed by buying some third party heeadstrap
and the battery life (aprox about 2 hours)

windows 11 doesn’t work very well with vr games in its current state
thats bogus im runnin win 11 on a daily base + vr never had any problems

Tweaker_Modding

Siezure Dice™
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just bought an oculus quest 2 for about 400€ and yes it was pricier than normal had to import it from france since meta froze their service in germany (legal battle still pending)

the quest 2 itself is very nice (for the price) theres not much what it can´t do (steamvr games,apk sideloading,homebrew vr ports etc)

the only two bad things are the headstrap but this can be fixed by buying some third party heeadstrap
and the battery life (aprox about 2 hours)

thats bogus im runnin win 11 on a daily base + vr never had any problems
for me and tons of other people windows 11 causes shit tons of lag on vr games but windows 10 doesn’t

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there not a local game cafe/game shop or similar that splurged on something good you can rent for a while? There are plenty in places around here. $200 (which you will end up eating if that is your price limit) can probably scratch the itch considerably.

"With VR being such a wanted feature"
Is it or are its current proponents just very vocal? Certainly if something lived up to the promise of sci fi films since the 80s I guess then that would be one thing, hugely popular/civilisation ending, however that is still a ways out (whether it is 20 years away and always will be I don't know) so giving some consideration to what is plausible with current tech then is it a wanted feature?

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the base stations necessary? Can a headset "just work" with only itself and the controllers? I mean, it might not give accurate motion tracking, but then again, neither do VR headsets for smartphones, and usually there's an axis reset toggle somewhere on either the headset or within software.
You do but it depends on what experience you want out of it on how many you need to get. They say 2 is the absolute perfect amount since it allows complete 360 head and body tracking but 1 can do just fine if you do not mind limited tracking. The base stations work by shooting out IR lasers and the Vive/controllers pick up those lasers to help track movement in a 3D space. When you turn too far away from the base station it cannot track your headset anymore, so 2 on opposite sides of a room will allow full 3D tracking in a room if you plan on doing full VR.

With one the experience will work if you are in a chair or in a limited movement capacity, if you are standing or doing very active movements where the tracking will require sight from multiple angles then you will best need 2 for that experience, otherwise 1 will get you by for a limited experience. Newer systems eliminate this but aside from being more expensive in doing so, they also have not the best tracking compared to the older systems.

for me and tons of other people windows 11 causes shit tons of lag on vr games but windows 10 doesn’t
Windows 11 should just be best avoided until you have no choice but to use it. 10 still has 5 years of support left, stay on that if you have the means to until then. Hopefully 11 will not be shit by that point when 10 loses support.

Is there not a local game cafe/game shop or similar that splurged on something good you can rent for a while? There are plenty in places around here. $200 (which you will end up eating if that is your price limit) can probably scratch the itch considerably.

"With VR being such a wanted feature"
Is it or are its current proponents just very vocal? Certainly if something lived up to the promise of sci fi films since the 80s I guess then that would be one thing, hugely popular/civilisation ending, however that is still a ways out (whether it is 20 years away and always will be I don't know) so giving some consideration to what is plausible with current tech then is it a wanted feature?

To be fair with COVID still a thing and having been a thing for a few years, the concept of a VR cafe has fallen into the bin of irrelevance. It was always never meant to last forever but the pandemic just accelerated the concept out of style even faster.

In fact the reason why you can find so many VR stuff second hand for cheap is because they are probably selling former VR cafe equipment. Its just not a reasonable thing to have in most places anymore since the idea of putting something on your face that was on others people's faces is not looked upon in a hygienic way.

Last edited by Dr_Faustus,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All headsets have their pros and cons, but the best bang for your buck, is definitely the Quest 2.

@Dr_Faustus every single thing you just said, says that you don’t know what you’re talking about. Headsets that require base stations, need 2, or they can lose track of your movement. It’s also hard to calculate location in 3 dimensions from a single point of reference. Not even your brain can do that very well. Wanna put a patch over one eye and play a game of catch?

Windows 11 has zero problems on hardware that meets the recommended specs.

The Quest 2 got rid of the base station, and costs WAY LESS than the Rift when it originally came out. Tracking is just fine with it.

Hygiene? Really? You can’t wipe the thing with a bleach or alcohol wipe?

Last edited by urherenow,

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dr_Faustus every single thing you just said, says that you don’t know what you’re talking about. Headsets that require base stations, require at least 2, or the (native) software won’t run. An object can’t be tracked in 3 dimensional space from a single point of reference.
Incorrect.

Windows 11 has zero problems on hardware that meets the recommended specs.
I work in IT, and even 10 still has issues now and again but that is far more stable than 11's constant shitting the bed experience not to mention its hostile way of making you use its own apps over your choices. Don't feed lines of shit to someone who does this shit as their career, dayjob and hobby.

The Quest 2 got rid of the base station, and costs WAY LESS than the Rift when it originally came out. Tracking is just fine with it.
The Quest 2 is still much more than what I paid for my set up, and I do not have to sell my soul to Zuckerfuck to use it. Also to play any games worth their salt in VR I have to still be tethered to a computer, which defeats the purpose in the first place does it not?

Also while some of its hardware is impressive the camera setup it uses is still lacking behind laser tracking in less latency. Also the hardware price is probably subsidized because Zuck wants to profit off you as being the product for his ecosystem, which is doing as well as hot garbage in his big scheme of things.

IR is not emitted by lasers.
https://www.prophotonix.com/blog/red-and-ir-laser-diodes/

Science and technology is not your strong suit isn't it?

Hygiene? Really? You can’t wipe the thing with a bleach or alcohol wipe?
I guess when the pandemic was up on high everyone was just "ah fuck it, ill just use cleaning products to protect me wherever I go in public, oh wait...wheres the sanitary products?!"

You forgot about shortages with those products at the time too huh?

Don't be starting shit without some proper ammo, this argument is over.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
srry youre right did some research about win 11 and vr and its due to non win 11 optimised drivers but again from my experience with the quest 2 and win 11 i didnt had any problems

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not the only person here in IT. And if you can't manage compatible drivers and hardware, you're definitely not the best in here either. I've had 1 problem with Windows 11, and that was with an NVIDIA driver update. A driver removal tool followed by a clean install of the driver, took care of the issue. I've otherwise had zero issues on my Windows 11 machine. None on my Windows 10 machine either, but whatever...

As far as being tethered... ALL products require tethering for anything more than a ho-hum experience. Fact is that the Quest 2 can be tethered wirelessly, either through the Oculus app, or through virtual desktop. If your wireless setup isn't crappy, it can do so at 120hz with virtual desktop, or 90hz on the Oculus software.

If you think sanitizing products are still hard to find, you need to get out of the switch closet and get some sun.

As I said before, all headsets have pros and cons. All things considered, Quest 2 is still the best bang for your buck. And if you're a card-carrying tinfoil hat wearer, you can still manage without a facebook account.:

You can also simply create a throwaway account. You don't NEED to use Facebook.

You can also sideload standalone games with side quest (and I have a few sideloaded games myself). The only other solutions that I know of with that option are the $10 headsets that you strap your phone into, so arguing about it is as useful as whacking a dragon with cooked spaghetti.

By the way, Oculus sensor used LED emitters, not lasers: https://xinreality.com/wiki/Oculus_Sensor
And the Quest also has hand gestures to include a virtual keyboard, so you can operate it without controllers at all (obviously not for games).

Last edited by urherenow,
  • Wow

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some great stuff here, guys. Unfortunate about the HTC Vive; probably third-party sellers would be willing to sell the items in parts and charge more for critical components. Something like -
  • $50 for the headset.
  • $25 for each controller.
  • $10,000 for the base station. 😱
I exaggerate... but then again maybe not. It is true that they raise the price on necessary pieces. For instance, you can find a standalone Wii U anywhere from $20 to $100 bucks, but these sellers also jack up the price on the Game Pad. I've seen Game Pads sell for as much as $500, no joke. :wacko:

As for the Oculus, getting one used I wouldn't mind (as long as some idiot hasn't let their kid scratch up the viewing lenses), but I'd even be wary of having to use ANY account, as Oculus is owned by Meta (Facebook). If I could find a way to use an Oculus without an account at all, that would be best, otherwise I'm gonna have to avoid Oculus altogether.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not the only person here in IT. And if you can't manage compatible drivers and hardware, you're definitely not the best in here either. I've had 1 problem with Windows 11, and that was with an NVIDIA driver update. A driver removal tool followed by a clean install of the driver, took care of the issue. I've otherwise had zero issues on my Windows 11 machine. None on my Windows 10 machine either, but whatever...
Im pretty sure even @rantex92 pointed out the unoptimized driver issue with 11 as of current. Plus again, like 10 early on any automatic update can make an experience shit, hell 10 still has these issues but they are infrequent at best. Last month I had to resolve several networks because an update just broke all mapped network drives. Theres a reason why people wanted to stay on 7 for so damn long until they had no choice but to move on. Chances are no one in their right mind wants to jump to 11 and would rather wait off.

As far as being tethered... ALL products require tethering for anything more than a ho-hum experience. Fact is that the Quest 2 can be tethered wirelessly, either through the Oculus app, or through virtual desktop. If your wireless setup isn't crappy, it can do so at 120hz with virtual desktop, or 90hz on the Oculus software.
I can do wireless with the VIve if I wanted to go for that option but I never saw the point for it myself since my computer is in my living room. Again the Oculus has great hardware where it counts but its cursed with the sin of it being Facebook Property.

If you think sanitizing products are still hard to find, you need to get out of the switch closet and get some sun.

This was in reference to VR cafes no longer being a thing, if you are going to extract the time from when the pandemic started, the hindering business model of the VR cafe already being a niche one now hurting more because of the pandemic starting and Malls/Arcades being considered no fly zones for many people there is no surprise that these did not last. Hell a lot of more successful businesses had not survived the pandemic, MOVIE THEATERS were shut down during the pandemic. Why in the hell would you think that VR cafes would be able to survive that or would be allowed to be active around this time? It was not an essential business. Perhaps you are the one that needs to get out more and see how businesses have suffered from the pandemic, and not just live comfortably in ignorance.

As I said before, all headsets have pros and cons. All things considered, Quest 2 is still the best bang for your buck. And if you're a card-carrying tinfoil hat wearer, you can still manage without a facebook account.:

You can also simply create a throwaway account. You don't NEED to use Facebook.

You can also sideload standalone games with side quest (and I have a few sideloaded games myself). The only other solutions that I know of with that option are the $10 headsets that you strap your phone into, so arguing about it is as useful as whacking a dragon with cooked spaghetti.

By the way, Oculus sensor used LED emitters, not lasers: https://xinreality.com/wiki/Oculus_Sensor
And the Quest also has hand gestures to include a virtual keyboard, so you can operate it without controllers at all (obviously not for games).

Yeah yeah I heard of this too, its clunky as hell and not entirely true as you still need to have some Facebook services running to get things working, plus things such as the store are fundamentally broken and anytime you have to reboot the device you have to go through the process again. Meanwhile my Vive all I have to do is click the VR Icon on my Steam and I am in. I do not have to go through hoops making my VR Open as if I was trying to root my phone like its 2012 or some shit. Once there is an actual stable and permanent way to remove Facebook's services from an Quest 2 I will not find it to be a worthwhile investment.

Also throwaway accounts or not, there's some evidence that if you get banned on their platform your Oculus account could also be banned, which could be tied directly to the hardware being blacklisted. I do not like the idea of having my hardware be rendered useless because Zuck can killswitch it at anytime. "Tinfoil hat" or not a VR headset should not have that much intricacy that Zuck and Oculus have with it. Its a device to interface yourself with a digital landscape and games, not another means to mine your personal data and control your lifestyle. I am free from that, and I find life enjoyable because of that.

Finally, again about the tracking input The Vive uses IR laser diodes for tracking.

From the video: "Enter the Lighthouse tracking system. Pioneered by Alan Yates of Valve, this system uses Beacons (a.k.a. Base Station) to emit precisely timed IR pulses (blinks) and X/Y axis IR laser sweeps. Instead of cameras or IR LEDs mounted to the HMD and controllers, Lighthouse embeds an array of IR-filtered photodiodes within all items that require tracking. As the X and Y ‘plane’ of IR laser light sweeps past the various sensors embedded within the controllers and HMD, those diodes’ outputs are amplified and passed onto an internal ASIC, which is programmed with the relative location where each input signal was sourced. Provided there are enough inputs (sensors that have a direct line of sight to one or both Base Stations), the ASIC can then work out its own location and orientation within the room."

Is that enough for you, or do you want to keep splitting hairs and purposely misinterpreting things for the sake of continuing your argument here?
Some great stuff here, guys. Unfortunate about the HTC Vive; probably third-party sellers would be willing to sell the items in parts and charge more for critical components. Something like -
  • $50 for the headset.
  • $25 for each controller.
  • $10,000 for the base station. 😱
I exaggerate... but then again maybe not. It is true that they raise the price on necessary pieces. For instance, you can find a standalone Wii U anywhere from $20 to $100 bucks, but these sellers also jack up the price on the Game Pad. I've seen Game Pads sell for as much as $500, no joke. :wacko:

As for the Oculus, getting one used I wouldn't mind (as long as some idiot hasn't let their kid scratch up the viewing lenses), but I'd even be wary of having to use ANY account, as Oculus is owned by Meta (Facebook). If I could find a way to use an Oculus without an account at all, that would be best, otherwise I'm gonna have to avoid Oculus altogether.

I mean you are not wrong, from my experience on my hunting of one awhile back on ebay I see that the headsets go for cheap while the controllers and the Base Stations tend to cost much more. In my case I had just about everything that came with my set for 100 with the exception of the Base Stations, I had to wait awhile to get them for reasonable as they tend to float around the same price per unit (about 80-120 per) You can find some for really cheap because they are untested but that can be a gamble depending on how much you are putting down for one.

If you are hunting down a unit, just keep your eyes out and look out for good deals, they do surface it just takes time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was wandering around a game/pawn shop the other day and saw a few PSVR setups for £120 (also a vita for £50 but different discussion there). Takes a bit of fiddling but there are then options to have it work on a PC https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

No idea as to the quality/whether it will be enough to enjoy something and not sour you on the experience, though it is gaming company playing real games for some things there, but should dodge DRM locks and having to deal with first gen stuff or taping a phone to your head, at the same time you might miss some of the full room stuff.
I suppose that it is £120 rather than higher says something (PS4 controllers by dint of them being used by the kids for phone games and everything else seem to keep a rather high value) but a possible option.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the Quest 2 is appealing, i really don't like the idea of having to support Facebook. I hope Valve makes a lower tier index that undercuts or at least matches the quest 2, so i don't have to sell my data out to the Zuck.
the PSVR is pretty cheap too, but i don't have a PS4 so i guess i'm shit out of luck.

Reactions: ZipMartin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them...