Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Suikoden : Tierkeis , Avalon Code, Valkyrie Profile : Covenant of the Plume, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and Platinum, Final Fantasy games, Luminous Arc. That's all I could think of

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Synsane said:
Can I hijack here?
Out of those RPG's.. which one's are real-time like Soma Bringer, or Ragnarok Online DS, or Iron Feather...

Soma Bringer? I thought its an Action RPG? Never mind. There's a lot of games like that, Avalon Code and FFCCwhere you do lots of button mashing and areas are split into different maps
(Like Soma Bringer) and have cool stories except they have jumping around and other cool stuff (like the "Code" system and using magicite to cast spells).

Btw: What's iron Feather?

mewcuss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
x.domination said:
Synsane said:
Can I hijack here?
Out of those RPG's.. which one's are real-time like Soma Bringer, or Ragnarok Online DS, or Iron Feather...

Soma Bringer? I thought its an Action RPG? * snip *

Same thing (real time fighting instead of turn based).

I think that Pokemon Platinum, Mario & Luigi: partners in time, and Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hour Glass are three great games to get into role play. The games aren't heavy on text, are easy enough to play and give a nice insight into RPG'S.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A more casual perspective (I cheat - lots)

I wouldn't recommend DQIV to a beginner. The first 5 chapters are great and all if you can stand starting from level 1 again, and again and again and again and again. Then all of a sudden the bosses which where till then, nicely leveled to be a challenge when you first reach them, suddenly require some serious grinding to survive their overpowered natural (spammed) abilities.

DQV did the boss : random battles balance better. Much less grinding required and an excellent bunch of cheats are available for it to comfort you during frustrating moments). The pacing is also good to keep you interested.

Etrian Odyssey II with a liberal yet tactful application of cheats (mark/recall like cheat, exp multiplier, your choice of mana cheat) goes from being a tedious grind to a very pleasant and casual dungeon romp. Complete with easy yet very satisfying manual mapping.

Fire Emblem/Valkyrie/Luminous Arc... any SRPG really is a good place to start due to their on-rails nature. You don't really have to worry about finding gear or grinding or getting stuck wondering what the f#@% to do next... its all spoon-fed to you.

I would suggest Soma Bringer if you like 'always-on' games where you're not managing troops or co-ordinating outfits. You're moving from one smoothly animated fight to the next with very pleasant results. A Top game and the entire script is translated, and translated well. (see the rom hacking section).

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it would be great for a beginner, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Front Mission.
Probably my favorite SRPG on the DS. Extremely customizable mechs are just too awesome.

NightWalker186

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Porkdish said:
A more casual perspective (I cheat - lots)

I wouldn't recommend DQIV to a beginner. The first 5 chapters are great and all if you can stand starting from level 1 again, and again and again and again and again. Then all of a sudden the bosses which where till then, nicely leveled to be a challenge when you first reach them, suddenly require some serious grinding to survive their overpowered natural (spammed) abilities.

I really must say that one of the true ideas behind old school RPG is the fact that one must take the time to level up your characters. One of the best things about em
smile.gif
NEVER cheat in any way as far as trying to get past something just because your behind a few levels. Take the time to re-explore the dungeon or cave that your in and you'll make your levels easy.

If you cheat your way past a boss or miniboss then chances are you'll be NOwhere strong enough to take on the next. I've never been a fan of cheating on any game much less any RPG of anykind. But thats just me.

Bleedingelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to play Final Fantasy IV. It is the definitive turn-based RPG. The story is great, and the characters and music will stick with you for years to come. It can get difficult, but it will introduce you to the concept of level grinding, which is a staple of most rpgs. There is no better turn based rpg on the ds, and anybody who says otherwise is on crack.

As far as action rpgs go (real time battling), The World Ends With You is the top of the class.

These two games are the MUST-PLAYS of the DS as far as RPGs are concerned. Everything else is secondary.

DARKSHIDARA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id say: THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU, final fantasy tactics a2, mario and luigi partners in time, avalon code,final fantasy 3, blue dragon plus, from the abyss, suikoden tierkreis, PHANTASY STAR ZERO (great if yoy played gcn or the dc ones) and my favorete as of now (patched for english)SOMA BRINGER

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NightWalker186 said:
I really must say that one of the true ideas behind old school RPG is the fact that one must take the time to level up your characters. One of the best things about em
smile.gif
NEVER cheat in any way as far as trying to get past something just because your behind a few levels. Take the time to re-explore the dungeon or cave that your in and you'll make your levels easy.

If you cheat your way past a boss or miniboss then chances are you'll be NOwhere strong enough to take on the next. I've never been a fan of cheating on any game much less any RPG of anykind. But thats just me.

Please, when a game indulges in mindless repetition as some sort of fetishistic gameplay device I fail to see the harm in trimming a lot of that chaf in order to keep enough interest and keep it a game rather than a job/obsession.

A mechanic that represents your characters growth over an adventure needn't (shouldn't) be the focus of a good rpg. I don't deny that it can be an exciting element (witness the existence of every MMORPG in existence) but I reject its exploitation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system