Gaming Whats a good RPG to start with?

drpaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never really been the biggest fan of RPGs, but lately i've been curious to try some for the DS since there are soooo many of them and most are supposed to be really good. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some RPGs that would be a good place to start for someone that hasn't played many before. Thanks.

Radiopools

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disgaea is an extremely good game indeed. However, the OP says he is just getting into RPGs, and I think Disgaea might be a little overwhelming for someone who is just getting into RPGs.

For the DS, I would reccomend Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Pearl/Diamond or The World Ends With You.

Skane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.....to be honest I dont like chrono trigger. Storyline may be an aspect of it, but I think nostalgia poofs it to be way better than it really is. lol I'd reccomend Golden Sun on the GBA if you could get the rom on the ds.

TWEWY is a new-age style RPG, he may not like....and PKMN he may think is too kiddy or slow-action. Its important that your first RPG is the one you always like. Try fire emblem. Like Disgaea but simpler.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well it depends a lot on what kind of rpg you want to try and what level of difficulty you're looking for.

For turn based style rpgs you'll want to look at these:
Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Suikoden Tierkreis (a bit much for beginners)
Chrono Trigger DS (also a bit much)
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Final Fantasy IV DS (also a bit much)
My World, My Way (fun an quirky but can be difficult)
Master of the Monster Lair (also fun and quirky but hard)
Etrian Odyssey (hard as hell!)
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (just as hard!)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (good pokemon style game)
Final Fantasy III DS (challenging with not much of a storyline)
Magical Starsign (fun and quirky)
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Digimon World DS
Digimon World Dawn and Dusk
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (easy but not that great)
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

For tactics style rpgs:
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (not bad on normal setting but has 5 increasing difficulties)
Rondo of Swords (unique for it's attack system but VERY HARD)
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift (not too hard, might be a good choice for beginners)
Disgaea DS
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2

For Action rpgs:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate
Avalon Code (not for beginners! difficult and overwhelming!)
Dragon Ball Origins
Summon Night: Twin Age
Orcs & Elves
Children of Mana
From the Abyss
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Spectrobes
Spectrobes: Beyond the Portal
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Explorers of Darkness, Blue Rescue Team
Legacy of Ys Books I & II (not for those who don't like retro)
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (hard and very retro)
Away: Shuffle Dungeon (challenging)

Unique rpgs:
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (fun and hard but not for anyone who doesn't like Bejeweled)
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix (only for serious fans of the series)
The World Ends With You (great game and good for beginners and veterans alike)
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (not for people who don't like harvest moon)
Rune Factory 2
Custom Robo Arena

Radiopools

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skane said:
Well.....to be honest I dont like chrono trigger. Storyline may be an aspect of it, but I think nostalgia poofs it to be way better than it really is. lol I'd reccomend Golden Sun on the GBA if you could get the rom on the ds.

TWEWY is a new-age style RPG, he may not like....and PKMN he may think is too kiddy or slow-action. Its important that your first RPG is the one you always like. Try fire emblem. Like Disgaea but simpler.

Tbh, I actually agree with you on the CT thing. I was playing it a bit ago and was like "yeah, this is pretty cool...I guess"
I was just trying to come up with easy-ish games to start with. Haven't played the DS Fire Emblem so I cannot really comment, but the GC version was pretty good.

The big list above this post should serve you well though!

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well excuse you Skane I happen to think that all the RPGs I listed are worth trying to see if you like them. They all aren't for everyone but don't make someone dismiss them until they have tried them.

drpaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. there's so many out there! and i'll definitely be trying out some of these. even though i'm sure some of them won't be my style, i'm sure i'll find some that i enjoy playing. i just don't wanna miss out on any great DS games. also one quick question..i heard there were save issues when playing Golden Sun (the GBA game) on DS due to its large size or something. is that true? or can you just flash it into NOR with the 3-in-1 and then everything will work correctly? thanks again guys.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Glad to help :3
The DS has tons of great RPGs and you probably won't like all of them but I would recommend trying each one on the list at least once to decide if you like it
happy.gif

lurked

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pokemon platinum -even if you arent a pokemon fan... so long lasting and fun:d
chrono trigger- great storyline... keeps me thinking what will happen next
biggrin.gif

final fantasy IV
avalon code- AWESOME!!!! came out recently and im still playing it...so fun! so many possibilities you can do

btw i dont know whats this hype about disgaea ds... it was rather sucky in my opinion.

terminator99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MMMMM?

I would recomend Chrono Trigger to start off with, then the Final Fantasy series.

Or better still get your old playstation 1 and play final fantasy 7. There is a shit load of secrets to find. but i have the official guide which helps loads.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phantasy star zero is very, very good if you don't mind not being able to read the text(only japan release currently). But the multiplayer is amazing and probably has the best replay value to date of any ds game, period. The graphics really bring out the best in the ds. Its very friendly even if u don't know japanese. If not, wait till the US release later this year and you'll love it. Especially wifi

Have near 100hrs with 2 characters as of right now. Still more await.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: