Hacking Need help with "nsbmd_vlx" files in Pac-Man World 3 (DS)

inconsistent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to access the level models on the DS version of Pac-Man World 3. I used tinke to extract all the files in the level directory, but the levels use a compressed version of nsbmd files (all ending in _vlx). I'm not sure what it's compressed with though, and I can't find any information on this format. I've attached all _vlx files to this post, hope someone could shed light on how I could view the level models. Or at least lead me in the direction of finding out how to decompress it myself. Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

So, coming at it from a different perspective. Instead of trying to get the level data from inside the ROM, I've tried extracting it from RAM with the level loaded. Which has been kinda successful. But it really isn't the elegant solution I'm looking for, as
1. This is really tedious
2. Some models aren't extracted with my script
3. This extracts the level models, but there's no way for me to view actual collision data currently (which is what i mainly want)
4. Most levels use generic textures/models (i.e. shared between levels/different models) to save space. My method doesn't automatically map the textures onto the model.
5. The level models can be imported easily into blender, their positions from 0, 0 are actually within the file. But objects are generic, so they don't have that privilege, and need to be manually mapped onto the level.

But it's something?
I've only tried Zephyr Heights and Banni Wastelands with this. Banni was a nothing burger, the script extracted some models, but not enough to create something. But Zephyr looked pretty good.
A screenshot of Blender, with models from Zephyr Heights loaded.

I still want to try and figure out a decompressor for the format, or find the function within the game to RE the loading. But my knowledge is still too limited to do something that advanced.

Attachments

• _vlx.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited by inconsistent,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?