What would you say is the #1 advantage retro games have over modern games?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Retro games are just plain fun
I wish I could agree but I can't. There are a ton of awful retro games which either make me just completely give up (because of how bad they are) or make me wonder where I'm suppose to go -- But to be fair, on the latter instance I would look up a walkthrough on the internet if I'm unable to move forward.

and the graphics are definitely eyecandy compared to the HD we have now imho
Again, can't agree because there's a lot of horribly disgusting look retro games. Here's one.

3OhArew.png

The only time anyone would play games like these is if they want to experience how bad they are, they're masochists or it's a challenge.

Reactions: Ricken

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could agree but I can't. There are a ton of awful retro games which either make me just completely give up (because of how bad they are) or make me wonder where I'm suppose to go -- But to be fair, on the latter instance I would look up a walkthrough on the internet if I'm unable to move forward.

Again, can't agree because there's a lot of horribly disgusting look retro games. Here's one.

3OhArew.png

The only time anyone would play games like these is if they want to experience how bad they are, they're masochists or it's a challenge.
Dont forget Phantasy star series. :P

Famrid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For me it's about nostalgia, childhood memories. I have a younger brother like 18 years younger than me, he doesn't understand why i'm playing alex kidd on a master system emulator for him it's outdated and ugly but for me it was my first game when i was like 6 years old.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, it's not about being an old game or a new game, it just depends on the game.
My favourite system of all times is the SNES, it has tons of great JRPG's and most of those great ones, have aged incredibly well.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it's about nostalgia, childhood memories. I have a younger brother like 18 years younger than me, he doesn't understand why i'm playing alex kidd on a master system emulator for him it's outdated and ugly but for me it was my first game when i was like 6 years old.
Alex Kidd? That game is hard. I never owned a master system, so when i saw it was on PS3, i tried it. It was that One called Alex Kidd in the enchanted castle, I think was the genesis game and alex kid in miracle world, was the master system game, and both are hard for no reason. That rock paper sissors- I mean "JAN-KEN-PON" was unfair all the time. But it was a fun game to investigate. :)

But Ever since i discovered wonderboy games, that what made sega sounded cool all of a sudden. Especially the two genesis games, Wonderboy in monster world and Monster world IV :D

And people say genesis games have bad graphics, Those game animate really well.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or, you know, nostalgia? Might want to re-experience how bad it is.

goes back to playing Paperboy for N64

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Most quality and lack of online play or micro transactions.
I honestly hate how games are pumped out either unfinished or features/character intentionally removed, then sold back to you as "DLC." I also feel like games have gone down in quality because of DLC. There's no reason to finish a game at launch when you can just finish it later, so games at launch just feel shallow and bad. Then they re-release the games "Definitive editions," which just feel like a punishment for those who bought the game at launch.
Online play has ruined so many games. COD wasn't perfect, but it didn't need the entire story stripped out for online play. And there's next to no games that have local play anymore. What's the point of multiplayer if I can't play with people in the same room?

otenko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just like the fact that games in the past used more 2D graphics. You don't usually see 2D games nowadays on consoles, unless it's indie. SNES was the last mainstream 2D console, while the GBA was the last portable. That's why I love these systems.
Games in these systems were totally finished, however more expensive. The good thing was that cartridges will last an eternity compared to Disks and even more compared to downloads. Besides, cartridges don't have loading times and you don't need to copy it to an HDD, which will eventually die and sometimes ask for internet because DRM. What botters me most is the need to download a firmware update or even Steam client update to play an offline game.
The lack of tutorials is the most awesome feature of retrogames. Take for example, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, it doesn't hold your hand all the time. You get all the mechanics and story throught short dialogs boxes. Compare that to most of
the LOZ which came after LOZ:ALttP, where there were loads of cutscenes and tutorials.
Those were times that won't come back. It's a really shame but that's progress. Looking at the newer generations the tendency is that games everytime become more of a service.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most quality and lack of online play or micro transactions.
I honestly hate how games are pumped out either unfinished or features/character intentionally removed, then sold back to you as "DLC." I also feel like games have gone down in quality because of DLC. There's no reason to finish a game at launch when you can just finish it later, so games at launch just feel shallow and bad. Then they re-release the games "Definitive editions," which just feel like a punishment for those who bought the game at launch.
Online play has ruined so many games. COD wasn't perfect, but it didn't need the entire story stripped out for online play. And there's next to no games that have local play anymore. What's the point of multiplayer if I can't play with people in the same room?
Well some games have things that onnline can't manage, like better team work, or maybe special game modes, or even FUN Lol. 8 player smash exclusive to local :D

It just depends on the game. Oh i know, Some games don't even have online modes. Or some don't have local but does have online.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alex Kidd? That game is hard. I never owned a master system, so when i saw it was on PS3, i tried it. It was that One called Alex Kidd in the enchanted castle, I think was the genesis game and alex kid in miracle world, was the master system game, and both are hard for no reason. That rock paper sissors- I mean "JAN-KEN-PON" was unfair all the time. But it was a fun game to investigate. :)

But Ever since i discovered wonderboy games, that what made sega sounded cool all of a sudden. Especially the two genesis games, Wonderboy in monster world and Monster world IV :D

And people say genesis games have bad graphics, Those game animate really well.
I found an Alex Kidd game at Goodwill FOR 500 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....it was....factory sealed...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nostalgia retro games have that going for them modern games don't lol.

Again we have to figure out what is retro, however earlier today we had a discussion on the new resident evil trailer and it seems people were having fond memories of classic resident evil, the last of which was probably code veronica, and I imagine no small number of those played code veronica X in 2003 on the gamecube or something rather than the DC original.

Likewise a while back I saw a conversation about "remember when Call of Duty was good?", I thought I would like to see how older 3d could be held up. Nope Modern Warfare.

Further back still when but when need for speed the run and such was coming out people were saying things like "remember old need for speed". Some of my good PC game memories are of the original couple of games, nope underground was the thing they were thinking of.

BB1996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n
Again we have to figure out what is retro, however earlier today we had a discussion on the new resident evil trailer and it seems people were having fond memories of classic resident evil, the last of which was probably code veronica, and I imagine no small number of those played code veronica X in 2003 on the gamecube or something rather than the DC original.

Likewise a while back I saw a conversation about "remember when Call of Duty was good?", I thought I would like to see how older 3d could be held up. Nope Modern Warfare.

Further back still when but when need for speed the run and such was coming out people were saying things like "remember old need for speed". Some of my good PC game memories are of the original couple of games, nope underground was the thing they were thinking of.

I just had to make a nostalgia comment. Its a very strong factor we tend especially in games to overlook what was bad or remember things being overall better than they really were. This factor can vary ofcourse depending on the person and circumstances , even looking back as I was thinking about this question and looking at the games on my shelf from all my past consoles I was thinking wow this game was great maybe I should play it again it was so fun. I just had to bring up this factor.

D

Deleted User

I like retro games because they're fast, fun, challenging, and open-ended. Games like The Legend of Zelda and Metroid don't give you a clue as to what to do next; you have to figure it out for yourself, and I like that.

Also, retro games don't take themselves too seriously. Unlike a lot of video games today, starring Mr. Edgy McEdge, retro games could just be enjoyed without having to feel depressed by the setting. Back then, Sonic was considered edgy, and all 3 (4? 5? eh, forget it) Sonic games were pretty wacky.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a slightly different note, I feel the problem with Indie games trying to look retro is exactly that: they're trying to look retro. They take refuge in the fact that they're old, and are saddled with graphics that look between generations. As much as I love Undertale, you have to admit, graphics isn't its strong point.

Keep in mind, back then, those graphics were cutting-edge. They weren't trying to look old, they were trying to look new. However, not all games that go for the retro look are saddled with this. Games like Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania look dated, sure, but at least it looks like they're taking advantage of the systems they're trying to emulate (NES and Genesis, respectively). Shovel Knight looks like it could be an NES game, just with a wider color palette and more frames of animation. Sonic Mania looks like the old Sonic games, but it doesn't copy their look pixel-for-pixel (sans Green Hill Zone, but even then). Look at how smooth the title screen animation is!

Anyway, that's my little tangent. If you're going for the retro look, look good within your limitations. Some 16-bit games, though dated, had some real eye candy, and that's what modern games seeking to look retro should aim for; dated, yet cool to look at.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like retro games because they're fast, fun, challenging, and open-ended. Games like The Legend of Zelda and Metroid don't give you a clue as to what to do next; you have to figure it out for yourself, and I like that.
This reason right here is why i can't play phantasy star 2 :(
I just wish they would make a remake of it in HD and i'll finally be able to play it. Also games were harder then... sometimes. Getting lives in mario wasn't as easy as it is now. All one up mushrooms were hidden, and Collecting 99 coins for one is just tedious, and whoever programmed that time should look at a clock. It looks like sims. TIME DOES NOT COUNT THAT FAST, O_O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ this brought me joy (yes it's a rickroll) +1