What would you say is the #1 advantage retro games have over modern games?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have said most of what i was going to say so i these things for me.

1. When games came out on older systems sometimes you get a game that has the same name but ends up a completely different game like disney's aladdin for variety.

2. When games were released on newer systems some were still relased on older hardware to the best of that hardware's capabilities for people who could not afford the newest systems at the time, could be wrong on that depending on the game.

3. Just me but back then games were actually games, not trying to be cinematic movie like experiences where there are more cutscenes over actual gameplay.

4. Games for the most part did not hold you're hand for 10 minutes worth of tutorials, you just jumped in and learned how to play as you go.

That's all i can think of for now and feel free to correct me if i am wrong about any of that.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fun!
Story!
A reason to keep at it!
No extra bills!
High score list!
Easter eggs!
But most of all, making fun of yourself!
Almost no loading time since resources are few, and uses flash/rom memmory!
Direct remuneration!

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Baldur's gate says hi
Neverwinter knights says hi
There's nothing I can do about exceptions. They're always there. I was actually would've mentioned the SaGa series but all the Infinity Engine games are real bastards too. Besides I don't think PC games have ever really applied to this question. If anything a lot of older PC games are substantially more archaic then their console contemporaries. I mean just look at how simplified the Fallout franchise has gotten over time thanks to console-oriented development cycles.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing I can do about exceptions. They're always there. I was actually would've mentioned the SaGa series but all the Infinity Engine games are real bastards too. Besides I don't think PC games have ever really applied to this question. If anything a lot of older PC games are substantially more archaic then their console contemporaries. I mean just look at how simplified the Fallout franchise has gotten over time thanks to console-oriented development cycles.

You forgot DOS games :P

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of day one dlc and actual content without being used as beta testers for rushed games.

No updating - being able to go from power on to playing within seconds

These are the two majors things that I agree with.

This lasted up until the GameCube/Xbox/PS2 gen. Most of them were just power and play. No DLC, no patches, no preorder bonuses.

Lately, I've found more enjoyment going back to playing old GameCube games than trying to play a modern game.

Reactions: VinsCool

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...ory=4&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go exists for a reason.
2. I find the opposite. Most would look to NES Mario level 1 as a pretty good class in game design (what with the not being able to get anywhere without a grasp of the run and jump mechanic) and it is good, however it takes a little while for things to kick in.
3. That you had to purchase? Sure, give or take how you feel about strategy guides. Still had plenty of gated and locked content though.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...ory=4&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go exists for a reason.
2. I find the opposite. Most would look to NES Mario level 1 as a pretty good class in game design (what with the not being able to get anywhere without a grasp of the run and jump mechanic) and it is good, however it takes a little while for things to kick in.
3. That you had to purchase? Sure, give or take how you feel about strategy guides. Still had plenty of gated and locked content though.
Phantasy star II anyone?:creep:
"INCLUDES 108 PAGE MANUAL STRATEGY GUIDE

1. Fully working on release without need for patches and fixes.

IS A little fact that there was patches for games but wasn't advertised as a patch, so people wouldn't know the difference in carts to know if they got updated patches or not.

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY PATCHES

American
US v1.0
The original release.

US v1.1
  • A glitch was fixed which allows the player to trade an animal buddy for Rambi. The exact directions are quite verbose, but involve entering a bonus area containing an animal buddy while riding another one, jumping on the provided animal buddy, jumping off and exiting, which will cause Donkey/Diddy to appear with Rambi.
  • The midway barrel in Coral Capers is positioned 10 pixels higher than in the original version.
  • In Trick Track Trek, the platforms that dropped pretty much instantly in v1.0 no longer do this.
US v1.2
  • It is no longer possible to skip the fanfare when beating a level for the first time.
  • In a case of "How did the developers not catch that?", most of the mini-Neckys had no collision whatsoever, meaning you could safely jump through them without taking any damage. That was fixed in this revision.
  • Two bugs relating to the mine cart were fixed:
    • In Mine Cart Carnage, starting at the midway barrel as Diddy and immediately rolling and jumping at the same time allows you to jump out of the cart. Afterwards, you can jump in mid-air indefinitely by rolling and jumping repeatedly.
    • In Mine Cart Madness, by falling down (not jumping) into the mine cart at the beginning as DK and getting hit by the Necky, Diddy can jump out of the cart and stay airborne indefinitely as above. However, as an extension, by rolling at the exact same moment you land on a Necky (it must be frame perfect), Diddy will magically hover to the right completely on his own. While this will cancel itself after a while, Diddy will retain his magic jumping capabilities.
  • The well-known warp glitch was fixed. In Kongo Jungle, passing over a corner and attempting to "enter" it as a level, with the right timing, warped you to a barrel in Orang-Utan Gang that had no purpose otherwise.
  • Two glitches in Slip Slide Ride were fixed:
    • One bonus area involves climbing up a rope to a barrel cannon. This barrel cannon will disappear once the bonus has been entered, and if you went back there and climbed the rope all the way up, you could jump to the left over the wall and end up inside the ice.
    • At the beginning, climbing up the very first rope, then jumping to the right along the wall will cause the Kongs to start crawling along the wall for some really odd reason.
Europe v1.0
  • K. Rool's behavior is a bit different: after the cannonballs drop from above, he will immediately throw his crown instead of just standing there for a while.
  • The mine carts have less momentum, making those levels much more difficult.
Europe v1.1
  • Fixed the bugs that were fixed in US v1.2

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i find its just that you can feel the work that went into some of the old classics, idk if its just me but i always feel like modern games are 99% cookie cutter titles with small USP's attached to help it look different, but for the most part every game is essentially the same as last years version, i think its just that games have got stagnant, there is no more OMG OMG wow new revolutionary tech/design/mechanic/idea, everything is pushed out on the bleeding edge, and sold and bled dry before they have finished even making it

tbh it might not even be so much that the games were better, maybe its just that games today are more of a throwaway medium, same thing has happened with music,film and TV, there is so much content being constantly churned out that before a game can even be played long enough to become a real stick around piece of software, the new and improved version is out ready to take its place

Last edited by gamesquest1,

lucks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They can be played on modern systems xD

No dlc and more play hours.
Bugs and no updates, you can buy the first revision of the game or the last patched one.

You could buy a modern game today without installing updates but the bugs nowaday are big because the devs say "well, we can always make a patch" (see Assassin s creed Lol )

Bigger game libraries.

And...pixels of course xD

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
for me it's the limitation of hardware that was a more important apect back then.
also the tradition of gaming was followed in a clearer way(imho). today you have more like a retrospective, knowing all what was, not easy to unknow it. back then you had not so much before.
also there were some very strong companies, that did lot of the great gems like Atari, Nintendo, Square, Capcom, Konami, etc.

Not every game broke every rule , more like many revolutions inside a big evolution, that is still in progress. there are still some great -oldschool or whatever you want to call it- games like hyper light drifter. good example of new games that know traditon is ori for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    300 lb toothless women in bikinis. You name it, it's available at Walmart. lolol
    +1
    I do most of my grocery shopping there
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [looks at what you just said, and then looks at you] :O:ohnoes::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
    Most Walmart shoppers don't go to Target because they're too triggered over displays of things they won't be buying anyway.
    +1
    I am not a karen, i am not maga, not severely mentally ill and not on meds, not 300 lbs, not missing all of my teeth, dont wear a bikini. Soooo. okay?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean if saving $2 on milk is saving $2 I'm buying it at Walmart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I go in don't cause a fuss and leave usually no problems
    :unsure::unsure::unsure::O:ohnoes: [goes to take my meds] :shy:
    A million and one things in this world catered to straight men and women. God forbid there's a display for lgbtq merch. How about walking past it if a person is not interested? Uh uh!!! Better watch out for those Satanic rainbows!!! lmao. MAGA crack me up.
    +1
    Right. I save $ getting grocers at walmart. So I continue to go.
    $2 on milk is great, imagine how much is saved when getting an entire cartful... vs the prices at my local ripoff grocery store.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Though I've been going to Aldis more often better lunch meat
    +2
    Is it worth it Gas wise? Length of travel.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    lgbqt products
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got 3 stores all within half a mile and a gas station in that same area so it's worth it
    +1
    LGBTQIA+ Products :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not the gay ride lunch meat :ohnoes:
    Walmart is an 60 mile round trip for me, and yes, I still spend less even after the gas cost. :) I dont go there just for milk. I do 2 big hauls a month, fill the cart up.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay Ride™ at a Walmart near you
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lol GBAtemp mentioned in the latest Bringus Studios video
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    never heard of that developer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded
    :O Holy Cow 60 Miles !
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O Holy Cow 60 Miles !