What would happen if a YouTube commentator becomes Judge or Mayor?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by sodaddict, Jan 10, 2017.

1. sodaddict
    OP

sodaddict GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2016
    I'm specifically talking about the ones that always comment on news stories and say stuff like "i hope he dies" or "i hope he suffers the same thing" or "i would kill him so badly rawr xd", but this can apply to any youtube commentator, such as nostalgia elitists or oblivious commentators or even minecraft / roblox trash-talking kidddies.
    What would happen if one of these commentators were to become a court judge or a mayor of a city/town? What changes would it make to the community? I know they are far from qualified, but it's a "what-if" situation.

Darkyose likes this.
  2. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    I don't know, but this should have been a blog.

3. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Certain Youtube commentators as judges or any position of power would be a nightmare. Others might do a good job. It depends.

Darkyose likes this.
  4. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    This is such a strange question I can't even wrap my head around it. General Chat has been filled with some trash as of late.

Alright, so talking about this commentator. He/She would probably too young to run for any position of power. He would have to get elected, maybe become a Lawyer and rise up the ranks. Have a nice background to run for Mayor. Not be a child.

You know, logical stuff.

Darkyose likes this.
  5. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I thought we already have one as the President-elect of the United States.

Veho and grossaffe like this.
  6. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    1483400044113.jpg
    Rawr XD my dude

sodaddict likes this.
  7. sodaddict
    OP

sodaddict GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2016
    Best reply I've ever gotten in my entire life.

VinLark likes this.
  8. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    JonTron for SCOTUS!

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Oppo research is going to be amusing in years to come when what might once have been trash talk down the pub is possibly available for all to read 30 years on.

I imagine in some ways society will probably have become more accepting of such things, lest there be nobody particularly electable as a result. Standards have changed already -- divorced, gay, bankrupt, outwardly atheist, former drug users, a variety of non white collar criminal convictions have been elected to fairly high offices in places people want to live the world over. In living memory any one of those might have been instant game over when running for an office somewhere.

I agree the question itself could be better phrased, or at least I would have chosen different shorthand, but we are already in a world where whatever you might have written and released to the public is already dredged up when you are running for political office of some form, several people having already been damaged by an article they might have written for a school/college newspaper. How then will it play out in 30 years where it is fairly accepted that most people from the age of about 12 (and earlier is not unheard of by any means) have every inane wittering, drunken thought and off colour joke recorded?