Hardware What was Sony smoking with the ps5 pro?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The PS5 Pro is supposed to "target" 60fps so even spending $700 doesn't guarantee a stable 60.
Any game currently CPU-bound on PS5 that isn't hitting 60fps won't hit it on the Pro because the Pro isn't getting a CPU boost. It will be games that are GPU-bound that will benefit from the Pro having a stronger GPU and having PSSR.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony made the determination they could release an incremental update at an inflated price and enough people would buy it, and they will. The removal of the disc drive was always inevitable because the physical games and used games market isn't as lucrative for Sony compared to a completely digital store front.
Sony from the PS4 days sure was better, and different.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Heh, I could see Microsoft doing this sort of thing with their refresh.

"How to play your physical Xbox games on the Xbox Series Refresh"

"Step 1: Take the disc out of its case"
"Step 2: Insert into the disc slot that comes with the game console"
"Step 3: Enjoy with no additional charges"

AD630

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Sony was smart enough to see the backlash towards OG Xbox One plans and used that to expertly market the PS4, but don't mistake that as an act of goodwill. All of these companies are the same in that they want to make as much money as possible.

Reactions: tech3475

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I believe PS4 Pro didn't sell much compared to the original PS4, but it allowed Sony to identify a group of people living a Playstation lifestyle. This is for the staunchies of them - the SonyPonies.

Except the deal is much worse than PS4 Pro. It's much more expensive, there are barely any PS5 exclusives and the quality uplift seems dubious - Alan Wake 2 still at cinematic 842p?

Sony probably won't make many of these now to begin with. More later when GTA VI comes.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20 years ago or so console and PC gaming were totally different universes. It wasn't that easy to game on a TV if you had a PC unless you bought an expensive adapter, games pretty much exclusively used mouse and not controller and while there were discs then you just installed them then just played on your PC, eventually PC got rid of discs all together.

As time went on more recently PC started implementing controller use in all games and PCs can now be played on TV, and now if consoles seem to be going digital only I can't really tell much of a difference at all. May as well game on PC because you get more games and a computer can do more and if they're going to continue the trend of increasing the price there's no real incentive to buy consoles at all anymore.

I grew up on NES games where we borrowed games from each other etc... I just like having a physical copy of a game I can put on a shelf even if it means very little to someone else it means a lot to me.

Reactions: schatzi24

stetofix

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Playstation 5 Pro Adidas :rofl2:

Adidas.png

Reactions: schatzi24

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Almost nobody buys physical discs in Japan anymore.
Buy games? This is gbatemp....

They realized that the only people buying them will be storing them in their cupboards and won't ever insert a disc anyway.
Post automatically merged:

I believe PS4 Pro didn't sell much compared to the original PS4, but it allowed Sony to identify a group of people living a Playstation lifestyle. This is for the staunchies of them - the SonyPonies.
The PS4 Pro launched at the same price the PS4 was at launch.

I bought a PS4 Pro, because I didn't own a PS4. I'm considering buying a PS5 Pro, but at the moment it's a tough decision.

Last edited by smf,

TheGlitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They realized that the only people buying them will be storing them in their cupboards and won't ever insert a disc anyway.

I bought a PS4 Pro, because I didn't own a PS4. I'm considering buying a PS5 Pro, but at the moment it's a tough decision.
I have bought tonnes of physical switch games and I've played all of them. In fact, I think digital players play less of their games the physical players

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you're gonna go for the Pro, the 30th Edition is probably the best one if you like the design.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Japanese Yen is down 23% vs the dollar since 2020. That's what they were smoking.

But the ones who are actually crazy are the purchasers of the PS5 Pro.

loveShmups

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They actually removed the disc drive, finally developers won't release physical games that are fancy licenses /s
Hum.. How do you listen to your music ? You still buy CDs ? you still buy BluRays or DVDs ?
Good for you, I don't .. and many people around me.
Sadly, the full digital seems to be the future (I don't really like this but .. it's like that).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ancientboi being tired of the word anus is like diddy being tired of baby oil