badboytm25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
PS5 Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc

After one month passed my PS5 warranty my PS5 dont read bluray discs.

Hera are my hardware attempts:

I was completly dissasambled my drive – clean the laser with IPA

Checking all moving plastic part and all cables, boards – everything looks ok.

Here are all my software attempts:

• Dvd video disc – reading ok – playing movie – no problem
  • Bluray video disc - Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc
  • PS5 game disc - Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc
  • PS4 gmae disc - Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc
  • Resseting completly PS5 to factory settings - Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc
  • Restart PS5 from Safe mode - Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc
  • Reinstall PS5 firmware 8.01 from Safe mode - Unreadable Disc – cant recognise the disc
My PS5 game disc working on my friends PS5

My PS4 game disc working on my friends PS4

My bluray video dics working on my bluray player

Only dvd video disc is working – this tells me drive is working but bluray laser is not ok ?

I see blue and red light when i put the disc in dissasebled state of my drive.

I one youtube video a saw bad chip on board – dude changed the chip and then laser was working. But i dont have spare parts.

Can you help me what to try next ?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar issue, I replaced the laser but I still get the same error. Mine says "unreadable disc" no matter which game/bluray/dvd I use.

It sounds like it tries to spin a few times, then sounds as if it's trying to spit out the disc (the motor sounds the same at least), then it tries to read it again before giving me that error, or sometimes it actually spits the disc out the second go around.

I've tried all the software fixes, even tried the sleep mode trick, still no dice. The mehanical parts of the drive look fine, the laser does move a tiny bit up and down and the disc spins a little so that worm gear and motor are at least "working".

Nothing looks burned or charred, not sure why it's doing this now. Does anyone have an idea as to what it could be?
I don't want to replace the board and get the SIE chip swapped if that's not gonna fix the issue since it'll cost quite a bit if it's not actually the fix.

I've been told the motherboard can cause faults on the disc drive, but nobody has elaborated as to how, or how I can test the motherboard for that, the connector on both ends get's 12v and 5v to it btw

Oh and like an idiot I put the ps5 laser in a ps4 pro (I swapped them because they are the same and they use the exact same laser). I know the ps4 laser was working just fine, after swapping them I now have the same issue on the ps4 disc drive, and the ps5 disc drive didn't get fixed by the new laser. What's weird is that after swapping them back I still have the issue on both consoles now, so I'm not sure if the ps5 is killing lasers.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Rasa39,

andybtech

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this thread has been dormant for a while so I hope that this comment is OK.

I have had a PS5 in for repair. Initially it wouldn't read any disc (would spin up for a very short time and wouldn't show CD icon on the display). I replaced the motor controller IC, which didn't change the symptoms. I then changed the laser sled, which then enabled me to play DVDs but nothing on blu-ray, including PS5 and PS4 games. Coming up with the error "disc not supported by PS5" and the code "ce-110558" which I cannot find reference to anywhere. Has anyone else come across this issue? My customer isn't using an external hdd and the firmware is up to date. My last attempt is to change the motor controller IC again to a batch I purchased from Uber Micro Repairs, rather than the ones I bought from China, although they have the exact same markings, so they could have come from the same place!

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading through my essay!

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Might sound obvious, but did you change the motor controller back to the original after testing with the new laser sled? It could be that the original controller wasn't at fault if it only started reading dvd's after the sled was replaced.

That being said if it's reading dvd's then I'd assume the new motor IC is working too. Replacing the motor controller fixed my drive, but mine never spun up properly and after multiple attempts would eventually spit out the unrecignised disc error, so it could be that the motor controller isn't the fault here.

But if you don't trust that replacement motor controller, you can get a genuine one off certain models of the ps4 pro if you happen to have any of those, that's actually where I salvaged my replacement IC from, they also have the same laser too (mine was CUH-7216B).

Maybe worth a shot replacing the ribbon cable connecting the disc drive to the ps5 motherboard. Just be sure to get the right one as the newer models have a smaller cable (which I accidentally ordered once before).
Since blu-rays use more power than regular dvd's, if it won't run BD movies, like no blu-ray discs at all not just games, then it could be some sort of power related issue.

Before replacing it though, if the cable looks fine, I'd check to see if you're getting both 12v and 5v into the disc drive with the current cable (check the connector on the ps5 board too). 12v should be constant whenever the ps5 is plugged into the wall, the 5v will only show once you turn on the console, just be careful with your probes ofc.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
but i cant understand laser is gone after 2 years - it is crazy.
Lasers have a lifetime and gradually they burn up.
Also, when the first batches of PS5 consoles were made there was a shortage of semiconductors.
Maybe some less than optimal components made it too the market as well.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. Mine stopped working despite barely playing on it - not even joking. The only game I played was FF7 Remake but only 2 Chapters in or I would mess around with Jailbreaking. Its just the quality of lasers are bad from the OG PS5 models. Lots of ppl have this issue, but simply replacing the laser was easy to fix it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game