Hacking What the hell is Nintendo doing?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 14,332
  • Replies 107
  • Likes 2

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
lol. If you're gonna talk smack, at least back it up a little. It's well known that consoles themselves rarely make money. Especially early in their lifecycle. Or was it the psp stuff that you take umbrage with?

Here's some quick google-fu for the current gen stuff:

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-will...ily-recoup-it-in-games-ps-plus-sales-1571335/

http://learnbonds.com/122889/microsoft-corporation-msft-loses-money-on-xbox-one-sales/
What you're talking about is recouping investment costs. which isnt the same as "losing" money. If the number of any product's total sales is measured against it's primary investment, be it research, development, manufacturing, etc., then all companies of all products experience this "loss" until enough units are sold to recoup. Sales projections based on software aren't even looked at until later stages of development. What you linked is the typical propaganda to sway bias by misinterpreting facts. it's called advertising. I could open a dildo shop and have a rival open a similar shop. knowing that my rival needs to make his sales projections by a certain fiscal period, i can say the he is currently losing money on currently public sales figures (which is why you can never get any 'Detailed' info on any companies finances in these articles.). implying that his products are shit or that his company is incompetent, or both. I already said i wasnt going to put in the effort to argue a common sense topic. which is why i havent linked a shit ton of links related to investment, business practice, profit margin blah blah. ive already writen too much, im done..

Reactions: guisadop

shadowharold

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Better explanation:

Nintendo is sneaky with their updates. You may think you are safe with 5.5.1 but if you don't block Ninty's services, an update will take you down any day, anytime; just be patient ;)
But how screwed am I? I can't use Tubehax because it kills the internet access completely on my wiiu, I can't block the urls because my router supposedly does it but I can access eshop just dandy, if I chance any DNS settings I am without internet, have tried all possible solutions and the outcome is the same, and I NEED internet access on my wiiu, since my computer died and have no money for a new one. Typed this from my trusty WII U.

LNIM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But how screwed am I? I can't use Tubehax because it kills the internet access completely on my wiiu, I can't block the urls because my router supposedly does it but I can access eshop just dandy, if I chance any DNS settings I am without internet, have tried all possible solutions and the outcome is the same, and I NEED internet access on my wiiu, since my computer died and have no money for a new one. Typed this from my trusty WII U.
You have to fix it by today. Tomorrow there is an update

Reactions: WeedZ

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Use 205.166.076.187 instead. It will give you internet access, YouTube, and most importantly, no firmware updates!

Reactions: The Cringe

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the update servers blocked on my router and I can access eshop just fine, but cannot update the system or download any game updates on both Wii U and 3DS. But Eshop works.
So, maybe your router is working. Just saying, from my own experience, you can access eshop but doesn't mean you can update the console.

Its a bit annoying, cause I actually like to update my games on my 3DS, but since the servers are blocked, I need to use a public wifi to update my 3DS stuff.

shadowharold

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
I have the update servers blocked on my router and I can access eshop just fine, but cannot update the system or download any game updates on both Wii U and 3DS. But Eshop works.
So, maybe your router is working. Just saying, from my own experience, you can access eshop but doesn't mean you can update the console.

Its a bit annoying, cause I actually like to update my games on my 3DS, but since the servers are blocked, I need to use a public wifi to update my 3DS stuff.
yeah the thing is that I just downloaded Splatoon from the Eshop and Runbow with its update, if the blocking was working the game updates shouldn't download right?

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah the thing is that I just downloaded Splatoon from the Eshop and Runbow with its update, if the blocking was working the game updates shouldn't download right?
Hard to say, I can install games via Eshop, and even update some games via eshop on Wii U, but not any games on 3DS. But when I try to update the console I get an error every time, it starts the update download, but then errors out.

I tried this multiple times on my 5.5.0. It cannot update to 5.5.1, but can access Eshop, can download Eshop games, and can even update Wii U Eshop games some of them, but not 3DS.

Keep in mind the router block works differently than the Tubehax, Tubehax blocks eshop, but router block is only designed to block system updates.

Its very hard to tell if your router block is actually working unless you have a system that can update firmware on. Then you can test it out.

Last edited by KSP,

shadowharold

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Use 205.166.076.187 instead. It will give you internet access, YouTube, and most importantly, no firmware updates!
If I put this on the primary and 8.8.8.8 on the secondary will that work? I ask because if I put tubehax dns on the primary and 8.8.8.8 on secondary I have internet access but mr X doesn't appear.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hard to say, I can install games via Eshop, and even update some games via eshop on Wii U, but not any games on 3DS. But when I try to update the console I get an error every time, it starts the update download, but then errors out.

I tried this multiple times on my 5.5.0. It cannot update to 5.5.1, but can access Eshop, can download Eshop games, and can even update Wii U Eshop games some of them, but not 3DS.

Keep in mind the router block works differently than the Tubehax, Tubehax blocks eshop, but router block is only designed to block system updates.

Its very hard to tell if your router block is actually working unless you have a system that can update firmware on. Then you can test it out.
I am in 5.5.1 and when I try to update it says I have the console updated, guess the only way to know is "IF" ninty sends an update our way.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I put this on the primary and 8.8.8.8 on the secondary will that work? I ask because if I put tubehax dns on the primary and 8.8.8.8 on secondary I have internet access but mr X doesn't appear.

I am in 5.5.1 and when I try to update it says I have the console updated, guess the only way to know is "IF" ninty sends an update our way.
Yes, router block will still give you the system is already updated message, but will not allow the update data to download properly.

So, the only real way to find out if your router block is working is if you have access to an 3DS or Wii U on lower firmware and try to update it on your network. What should happen on a router block is, the data will start to download, but will error out.

Also, you should check to see if you can manually access any of the Ninty update server urls on your phone. If you have a proper router block set up, you should get a message that says something like "following url is blocked by router settings" This is when you know its working.

Plaguereign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you put 8.8.8.8 in as secondary, it can still access the ninty servers since it has a normal dns in there. set it to all 0s.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Good call, thanks. To bad I can't download my Humble Bundles with it. Oh well! Might wait for a Nintendo update and see if they fix it this week or not.

Reactions: I pwned U!

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In the current patch every Wii U owner has acces to a very easy exploit that allows them to basically do everything from homebrew to pirating.

Where is the update that patches the new found exploits? Where are the counter measures? Is this exploit that hard to fix? It seems like Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U... people aren't even surprised that Nintendo isn't doing anything. It feels like Nintendo is completely dropping the ball lately... on everything.

Is anyone expecting Nintendo to fight against this exploit?
I expected as much, and couldn't believe that the kernel exploit wasn't going to be released until it was patched. They haven't even patched the userland exploit yet. If they do patch anything though, I expect that they will botch it up and create a few new entrypoints, and that may be what they are afraid of. :D

THA-REAPER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion it probably won't even get patched lol. Going back to the original Wii they made their efforts to patch a couple of things here and there I remember when banner bomb came and rattled them a little and they patched it then 4.3 letterbomb came out but their efforts to stop it seemed pretty relaxed and nonchalant. vWii's existence is still not patched and the same exploits were found the same week of the Wii U's release. It feels like they like the door cracked open lol. They were the same ones who told us playing Gamecube games were just impossible. I bet some of the work here like VC games for example Nintendo benefited from. Possibly seeing if there was demand for it, if it can be done, and how its done. It may be profit gained like mentioned of people buying for piracy reasons, but really who wants a Wii U for anything else for anything of the future? What is really on the horizon and how long does it take them to release games? Most people who were intrigued by a Wii U already have or had one. They may just care more when something is doing phenomenal. Amiibos do well and they're quick to act when it comes to them.

On the flip side Nintendo will shut anything else down that they find to be a remake or presented to an audience even if it can possibly help them. I cant figure them out...who knows lol.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They believe that no one will hack into their console, same thing with the Wii but they have taken further measurements since the release of the Wii U. Sadly it did not work as well.

I assumed they thought a Wii U wouldn't be worth modding since it costs $200 USD to purchase a new one made now a days ($300, or so with a few games, and with a 32 GB built in system.

Kind of makes sense. That is unless the Wii U was orginally priced let's say $1 USD.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can still access the EShop with the update dl spots blocked.....Did you try dling something from the eshop with the blocks on? You probably cannot dl anything.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is just waiting on a boost in hardware sales due to piracy being allowed, then they'll promptly update it.
You think the original Wii would have sold as well without soft mods? Hell I bought 3 Wiis for the sake of soft modding.
Yeah, I do think it would have sold as well, actually. It was selling just fine before any mods came along for Wii.

It's funny reading comments in the topic like "hackers don't even amount to 1%" and then "I bought three to mod" lol. On the one hand, hackers don't want companies to blame piracy for lower software sales but then they want them to be happy it will move hardware in some substantial way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7