What the hell is Nintendo doing?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Stingart, May 9, 2016.

1. Stingart
    OP

Stingart GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    In the current patch every Wii U owner has acces to a very easy exploit that allows them to basically do everything from homebrew to pirating.

Where is the update that patches the new found exploits? Where are the counter measures? Is this exploit that hard to fix? It seems like Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U... people aren't even surprised that Nintendo isn't doing anything. It feels like Nintendo is completely dropping the ball lately... on everything.

Is anyone expecting Nintendo to fight against this exploit?

LuigiXL and DrZell like this.
  2. appleburger

appleburger Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2012
    United States
    They'll update it. If memory serves me correctly, they don't usually have an update ready to go within a week of an exploit release.

ArturDat3DS likes this.
  3. TheKingy34

TheKingy34 what has happened?

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    They are being badasses.

But seriously, I am wondering that also, why is it like they don't care about their console? Probably because of the NX and 3ds I suppose...

EDIT: @appleburger has an much better explanation than me, I agree with him.

Last edited by TheKingy34, May 9, 2016
    Whatnoww and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. Segtendo

Segtendo #TeamMarie

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    Illinois
    You aren't wrong there. They seem to be shifting focus to the NX.

5. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    The userland (mp4 exploit) was out for ages now (more than 3 months) :P without any update

Last edited by memomo, May 9, 2016
    CeeDee, d4mation and MattKimura like this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Seems almost as if people want Nintendo to patch exploits and lowering any chance for future homebrew :P

7. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    The GX2 exploit is easy to patch :P But they don't want to

8. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    /home/erisa/
    Yeah I dunno about WiiU but there hasn't been a 3ds update in ages.
    They either don't care about 3ds and Wii U anymore, or are focusing all their resources on the NX.

9. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    I pwned U! is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    I have noticed that in my time zone, Monday evenings are the most common time that Nintendo releases updates. If Nintendo does bother to release an update, be extra prepared for it this evening.

The Cringe and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  10. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well, the same is true for the 3DS... It's been like 2 months svchax / memchunkhax3 release, and it's still not patched...
    They are probably focusing on the NX, which is understandable.

ArturDat3DS likes this.
  11. sTo0z

sTo0z GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2004
    United States
    USA
    You guys need to realize that developer schedules are most likely booked probably for a year or more, and are organized (generally) in 2 week chunks. These guys FILL their schedules to the brim. Now all of a sudden they have another exploit/bug on their hands that was NOT accounted for. A lot of people have to make a lot of decisions to sneak that time in there, and they have to weigh whether it's worth it or not. Maybe they have scheduled a maintenance time for their developers someday far from now, and will wait and let bugs/exploits pile up before they start to prioritize them, if they even feel like it's worth it to address them at all.

12. TheKingy34

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Better explanation:

Nintendo is sneaky with their updates. You may think you are safe with 5.5.1 but if you don't block Ninty's services, an update will take you down any day, anytime; just be patient ;)

13. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    I bet Nintendo sell more wiiu's this week than they have for a long time

ArturDat3DS, lordelan and brienj like this.
  14. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Meh, I don't think so. The exploit (and the various things you can do with it) are still not that "noob friendly", like with the good ol' 4.5 3DS days, so I doubt it will attract many people in its current state. That'll probably change when we get the IOSU exploit though.

15. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    You do realize that it takes months to years for devs to make a stable exploit. While you might be saying that "It's easy, it hasn't been patched until now". Just remember, this was someone's 8 months to a year's worth if work and dedication to make it possible. While you're questioning Nintendo's actions on how they're dealing with it right now, just remember how lazy they are with their hardware choice and especially software quality. To the devs responsible for the exploit, I can't thank you enough.

16. KSP

KSP GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2015
    United States
    Have you considered that Nintendo realizes that piracy sells consoles. Nintendo is already geared to stop producing Wii U hardware soon, they want to get rid of as many of their inventory as possible before they roll out the NX. So, really Nintendo doesn't really mind piracy for the Wii U, not anymore.
    Rampant piracy on the PSP managed to help Sony clear out their entire PSP backlog.

Nintendo will release a few more updates for cosmetic reasons only just to pretend to care. But don't expect a huge fight from Nintendo on piracy front, you'll see a new update for Paper Mario and another one for Zelda release. That's about it.

I expect that Nintendo knows that piracy helps move hardware, so they're just let the piracy wave fly, until they can clear their warehouses and finally be done with Wii U.

ManuelKoegler, hama, brienj and 2 others like this.
  17. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    ^This
    I had this happen when I booted up my 5.4.0 console months ago and went to 5.5.

I went to 5.5.1 then blocked updates to avoid this issue.

18. TheKingy34

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Woah, be careful man, that must of sucked.

19. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    And this is why everyone was pissed that hykem and mn1 wanted to wait for an update to release their exploits..

Edit, also why no one is surprized.

brienj likes this.
  20. LvPre

LvPre Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    I'm also sure that the number of people that do this to their Wii U is a small percentage of the overall user base. I would bet the number of people 'hacking' their Wii U's account for less than 1% of overall sales.

CLOUD9RED and TheKawaiiDesu like this.