Hacking What the hell is Nintendo doing?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 14,343
  • Replies 107
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
In the current patch every Wii U owner has acces to a very easy exploit that allows them to basically do everything from homebrew to pirating.

Where is the update that patches the new found exploits? Where are the counter measures? Is this exploit that hard to fix? It seems like Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U... people aren't even surprised that Nintendo isn't doing anything. It feels like Nintendo is completely dropping the ball lately... on everything.

Is anyone expecting Nintendo to fight against this exploit?

Reactions: LuigiXL and DrZell

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I dunno about WiiU but there hasn't been a 3ds update in ages.
They either don't care about 3ds and Wii U anymore, or are focusing all their resources on the NX.

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You guys need to realize that developer schedules are most likely booked probably for a year or more, and are organized (generally) in 2 week chunks. These guys FILL their schedules to the brim. Now all of a sudden they have another exploit/bug on their hands that was NOT accounted for. A lot of people have to make a lot of decisions to sneak that time in there, and they have to weigh whether it's worth it or not. Maybe they have scheduled a maintenance time for their developers someday far from now, and will wait and let bugs/exploits pile up before they start to prioritize them, if they even feel like it's worth it to address them at all.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I bet Nintendo sell more wiiu's this week than they have for a long time
Meh, I don't think so. The exploit (and the various things you can do with it) are still not that "noob friendly", like with the good ol' 4.5 3DS days, so I doubt it will attract many people in its current state. That'll probably change when we get the IOSU exploit though.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
You do realize that it takes months to years for devs to make a stable exploit. While you might be saying that "It's easy, it hasn't been patched until now". Just remember, this was someone's 8 months to a year's worth if work and dedication to make it possible. While you're questioning Nintendo's actions on how they're dealing with it right now, just remember how lazy they are with their hardware choice and especially software quality. To the devs responsible for the exploit, I can't thank you enough.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the current patch every Wii U owner has acces to a very easy exploit that allows them to basically do everything from homebrew to pirating.

Where is the update that patches the new found exploits? Where are the counter measures? Is this exploit that hard to fix? It seems like Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U... people aren't even surprised that Nintendo isn't doing anything. It feels like Nintendo is completely dropping the ball lately... on everything.

Have you considered that Nintendo realizes that piracy sells consoles. Nintendo is already geared to stop producing Wii U hardware soon, they want to get rid of as many of their inventory as possible before they roll out the NX. So, really Nintendo doesn't really mind piracy for the Wii U, not anymore.
Rampant piracy on the PSP managed to help Sony clear out their entire PSP backlog.

Nintendo will release a few more updates for cosmetic reasons only just to pretend to care. But don't expect a huge fight from Nintendo on piracy front, you'll see a new update for Paper Mario and another one for Zelda release. That's about it.

I expect that Nintendo knows that piracy helps move hardware, so they're just let the piracy wave fly, until they can clear their warehouses and finally be done with Wii U.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better explanation:

Nintendo is sneaky with their updates. You may think you are safe with 5.5.1 but if you don't block Ninty's services, an update will take you down any day, anytime; just be patient ;)

^This
I had this happen when I booted up my 5.4.0 console months ago and went to 5.5.

I went to 5.5.1 then blocked updates to avoid this issue.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

And this is why everyone was pissed that hykem and mn1 wanted to wait for an update to release their exploits..

Edit, also why no one is surprized.

Reactions: brienj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu