Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No option for followers of Norse Mythology?

I decided they were all pointless, however if they help you get through life and you leave me alone (Sunday trading laws are not my favourite things) then I am OK with it.

Not exactly pointless if they help people
wink2.gif
But yes, it's important they don't try and force their views on other people.

I used to be catholic but haven't had much to do with the church since primary school so I guess I'd consider myself an atheist..I think. What's the one where you're not sure if god exists or not? I can't prove he doesn't so I guess that's a smart one to be, although I don't think he exists in the traditional sense of a man in the clouds looking down on us.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No option for followers of Norse Mythology?

I decided they were all pointless, however if they help you get through life and you leave me alone (Sunday trading laws are not my favourite things) then I am OK with it.

Not exactly pointless if they help people
wink2.gif
But yes, it's important they don't try and force their views on other people.

I used to be catholic but haven't had much to do with the church since primary school so I guess I'd consider myself an atheist..I think. What's the one where you're not sure if god exists or not? I can't prove he doesn't so I guess that's a smart one to be, although I don't think he exists in the traditional sense of a man in the clouds looking down on us.

Religion is pointless to certain people. I'm not sure I've gotten something from it directly. Agnosticism would be you are unsure if God exists and it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God. Wouldn't Norse be Pagan?
QUOTE(Linkiboy @ Oct 23 2007, 07:29 PM)we should be best friends
I guess I'll choose Haruhiism. I think I have more of an interest in anime than I do religion...Of course, I don't think I'd ever do the Hare Hare Yukai dance...

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just something that I was wondering: for those who chose atheist/agnostic/pastafarian was it an active decision? Were you all born into a religion and became atheist? Because I for one was never raised to believe in anything, whether it was a deity, a creator, or an absence of one. I think that's the best choice, to not teach your child about religion/creation/what to believe. Teach him the morals and the values but let him/her decide what they believe when they're old enough. If you're teaching your children, at a stage where they are prone to believe anything you tell them, a certain theory or belief and to deny another belief isn't that simply brainwashing? What do you guys think?

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just something that I was wondering: for those who chose atheist/agnostic/pastafarian was it an active decision? Were you all born into a religion and became atheist? Because I for one was never raised to believe in anything, whether it was a deity, a creator, or an absence of one. I think that's the best choice, to not teach your child about religion/creation/what to believe. Teach him the morals and the values but let him/her decide what they believe when they're old enough. If you're teaching your children, at a stage where they are prone to believe anything you tell them, a certain theory or belief and to deny another belief isn't that simply brainwashing? What do you guys think?

Nuh not brainwashing. My mum was catholic and my dad was atheist and I guess I was raised catholic. Going to mass every second week and on christmas, easter etc. I was smart enough to figure out most the bullshit but take away the worthwhile lessons. My brother and I are no longer religious.

Your idea is good but I don't think bringing up a child catholic/muslim/whatever really does any harm in the long run, they can always decide for themselves once they are mature enough.

Citric

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm...between religions. Former catholic, currently nothing, might pick something up when I'm older, closer to dying, and feel the need to believe in something.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

I think you've got it in one
wink.gif

I wasn't brought up religious at all. I think it's very important that parents do not force religious beliefs upon their children. People should believe what ever they believe because they want to. Make up your own damn mind.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mthrniteism.

he helped fix my ipod, now he needs a religion.

It's funny you should say that. Reading some of mthrnite's enlightened ramblings are what made me check out the Unitarian Universalists. They basically teach religious tolerance, and that good ideas on spirituality can be found in all religions. They don't claim that there is "one" right answer, and encourage everyone's journey to find their own answers.

I grew up in a strict Roman Catholic environment. Catholic schools, choir, altar boy, all the sacraments, etc. In fact, I have low self esteem because a priest never tried to molest me.

As I grew older and learned to think more independently the concept of divisive religion (we're right, you're wrong) seemed ridiculous to me, and I'm quite wary of anyone who is completely "sure" of their religious beliefs. I don't mean that as an offense to anyone who is devout. I just have the perspective that there are too many unanswered questions to claim that anyone else is "wrong", let alone turn to violence to support or enforce my beliefs.

I have to cut myself off though. I could ramble on for hours (not uncommon) about this topic. I guess if I had to pick a category, I would consider myself optimistically theistic with a heavy dose of logical skepticism. But if I do make it to any service, it's usually UU.

@Linkiboy: Out of curiosity, is it acceptable to not be Orthodox where you are? i.e. Would there be any level of persecution or shunning if you weren't associated with your religion? Just interested in the cultural/regional views on religion in Russia these days.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pastafarianism because it's a joke. And I believe religion is a joke.
Also, I'm annoyed that all the Muslims in our school can wear headscarves and I can't wear my eyepatch even though they're both symbols of faith...

- Sam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive