What languages do you read in and speak?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
English is my first one, but because I have to take a different language for school and because i am actually getting interested in it, I'm slowly ,but surely learning Spanish.

To bad they do not teach Japanese tho 'cause I would have took that.

Edit: English use it for everything speaking related
tongue.gif
Spanish just for fun.
Japanese so I do not have to wait for any translations
tongue.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
BoxShot said:
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Sadly all the cat boy knows is English.
Although everyone I know thinks I know Japanese...to this very day I still don't understand why.
Maybe because the first thing I think of that is related to cat boy is Japan? (Well not I but others might)
You know that might be it, it might also be because I like to set things to Japanese or French once I memorized it, just to mess with people.
EDIT: Or maybe because I mostly watch Subbed anime over Dubbed anime

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
Jakob95 said:
Westside said:
English, Uzbek and very little bit of French is spoken language.
English, Uzbek (in Russian , and Latin alphabet), and bit of French in written.
How do you not know how to speak in Russian? The teachers in Uzbekistan teach in Russian...

And Russian is not a alphabet. I think you mean Cyrillic.
Most people don't know what Cyrillic is so it is easier for everyone. Also, I left the country when I was like 10 years old. My parents taught me how to speak the language and write it.
So you know russian? My parents are also from Uzbekistan well to be exact Soviet Union. But I was born in America and they taught me how to read and russian. But my family isn't Uzbek they don't look like uzbeks(which kinda look chinese) we look more like russians.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Jakob95 said:
Westside said:
Jakob95 said:
Westside said:
English, Uzbek and very little bit of French is spoken language.
English, Uzbek (in Russian , and Latin alphabet), and bit of French in written.
How do you not know how to speak in Russian? The teachers in Uzbekistan teach in Russian...

And Russian is not a alphabet. I think you mean Cyrillic.
Most people don't know what Cyrillic is so it is easier for everyone. Also, I left the country when I was like 10 years old. My parents taught me how to speak the language and write it.
So you know russian? My parents are also from Uzbekistan well to be exact Soviet Union. But I was born in America and they taught me how to read and russian. But my family isn't Uzbek they don't look like uzbeks(which kinda look chinese) we look more like russians.
No, sorry for not being specific, when I say the language I mean Uzbek. I don't know much Russian, however, Uzbek has a lot of Russian in it. Also, what do you mean Chinese? First of all, Kazakhs do look Asian because of the semi mongol background. Since Kazakhs mixed with SOME Uzbeks, some Uzbeks look Asian. Most Uzbek people look middle-eastern. I remember someone on GBAtemp say that Uzbek people are ugly before, that's quite a generalization, most Russian dudes in Uzbekistan love the girls there, Like the girl in the video below:

azntiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first language was English
Then as a child I started to learn Vietnamese [still in the process of learning it]
Pros:
I can swear at people and no one knows what im saying
biggrin.gif

Cons:
I dont really know

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I speak Croatian, English and German, and if you give me a few weeks I'll speak Italian (I studied it for 7 years but forgot most of what I'd learned... I might need some time to remember it
happy.gif
), and I understand (and can read in) the four mentioned, and also Slovenian, and since Romanic languages are all pretty similar I can get a vague idea of what's going on in French and Spanish, given enough time
laugh.gif

Hotzdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I can read and speak in English (can't call myself fluent though) and Hindi (coz i had to learn it throughout my school life and 2 years of college).. Had learned how to read and write & speak a little Korean last year (for a period of 3 months) and was able to read and write it until the course ended n i stopped pratising now can understand shit.. Can speak Nepali and 2 other dialects (I'm from the northeast of India where in my home state we have more than 16 different tribes) and since both my mom n dad's from different tribes i can understand and speak though not too fluently...

zuron7

RBYG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
I am knowing very good english.
I also know Hindi and Kannada and I can understand Tamil.
I might be the only one knowing Indian Regiona languages here.
But I know there are 2 more Indians on this forum.
One is Arecus2000 and the other one was Hotzdevil or somethin.
There we're more but they left I think.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
speak,read and write English fluently.Irish semi fluently but can't read or write it.
Currently can speak a little bit of Japanese enough to have small conversations
but for now I'm relying on my fiancee to translate for me =P.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fluent in English (speaking, reading, listening and writing). I'm also fluent in Japanese, though my writing skills leave much to be desired. It's one thing to be able to read kanji, another to be able to write it. I can probably read about 2,500 kanji (enough to understand just about everything I read), but I can only write a little over 1,000 kanji from memory.

Being a 2nd-generation Filipino-American, I grew up in a household that speaks Ilocano and Tagalog, so I can understand a lot, but I can't really speak anymore. I actually began speaking Ilocano before English, but I eventually forgot how to speak it. I just recently got the Pimsleur Tagalog audio course, so I'm going to give that a try once I get the CDs transferred to my iPod.

I can speak survival Spanish (studied it for 2 years in high school and I grew up in California where there's a lot of Spanish influence), and I'm eventually going to revisit it so that I can speak it better. I also want to learn ASL because it will most likely be useful in my future career.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
English and Chinese.

Sometimes my English gets mixed up a little with American English(in writing)... Not really considered fluent
tongue.gif
But considered one of the "okay" ones in my class.

Chinese... Mediocre at the language, can understand it fairly well, average at using it for expressing myself, be it through written or verbal forms.

This opens my future development to the already developed U.S. and E.U. markets(and probably most of the world, since English is widely used) and the developing Chinese market. Hooray for bilingual education system.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
English and chinese

Took up a course during poly to learn japanese, so i guess just like syko, i know a little bit of japanese to carry a short conversation?

English - well, chatting on the forum has carried on slowing down the degeneration of my english standard.

Chinese - used to be pretty good at it, but thanks to lack of use, my chinese is a shadow of itself, but never the less, i think of myself as still alright(i hope)

edit: And Singlish - Our own unique brand of english created from mixing up english,chinese,malay,tamil, hokkien, cantonese and etc and @dommy: arent you proud to say you know some singlish as well?
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
French and English, spoken and written.
I lost my Spanish from non practicing.

English helps me at work (I'm an information desk), but I'm not fluent enough and I often don't find the good word. speaking is harder than writing.

I don't speak the regional language, but my sister learned our town language at school.
does other countries have their own Town/region dialect too ?
here the french one
tongue.gif

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Speak and write my native English language incorrectly. Speak and read a little Japanese have level 3 JLPT, can make basic conversation and read basic text. Being able to only read and understand 300 kanji doesn't help that much when it takes a knowledge of about 2000-3000 kanji to be able to read a newspaper in Japan.

khfreakau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hummmm, I speak fluent English and Bulgarian, and in turn, can completely understand Macedonian. I can read and write no problems in English, I can read in Bulgarian and write if need be, but can only read Macedonian since i don't know the subtle differences between the two languages. I can also speak a little Japanese, enough to get around in Japan, as I found out in my recent trip there.
smile.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Italian (well, obviously!), English and uuh, maybe, German. Or so it was, some years ago!
tongue.gif

Well, English helped me a lot in everything in life, that's why I started learning it at 4yo (mainly because I needed it to understand what to do on those games I played on my Amiga!
tongue.gif
).

I find myself nowadays talking a strange mix of Italian and English (I use a lot of English expressions and way of sayings, only that I translate them to Italian. People give me strange looks all the time!
tongue.gif
).

Too bad my German is probably so rusty I can't even remember anything aside from the most basic things. Well, I can still read it pretty well
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary